THE SHEPHERDS WORSHIPPING THE INFANT JESUS
- v worship love unquestioningly and uncritically or to excess; venerate as an idol "Many teenagers idolized the Beatles"
- v worship show devotion to (a deity) "Many Hindus worship Shiva"
- v worship attend religious services "They worship in the traditional manner"
- n worship the activity of worshipping
- n worship a feeling of profound love and admiration
Additional illustrations & photos:
Worship of the Sun-God at Sippara
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
In California, animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
- Worship An object of worship. "In attitude and aspect formed to be
At once the artist's worship and despair."
- Worship Excellence of character; dignity; worth; worthiness. "A man of worship and honour.""Elfin, born of noble state,
And muckle worship in his native land."
- Worship Hence, a title of honor, used in addresses to certain magistrates and others of rank or station. "My father desires your worships' company."
- Worship Honor; respect; civil deference. "Of which great worth and worship may be won.""Then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee."
- Worship Obsequious or submissive respect; extravagant admiration; adoration. "'T is your inky brows, your black silk hair,
Your bugle eyeballs, nor your cheek of cream,
That can my spirits to your worship ."
- Worship The act of paying divine honors to the Supreme Being; religious reverence and homage; adoration, or acts of reverence, paid to God, or a being viewed as God. "God with idols in their worship joined.""The worship of God is an eminent part of religion, and prayer is a chief part of religious worship ."
- Worship To honor with extravagant love and extreme submission, as a lover; to adore; to idolize. "With bended knees I daily worship her."
- Worship To pay divine honors to; to reverence with supreme respect and veneration; to perform religious exercises in honor of; to adore; to venerate. "But God is to be worshiped .""When all our fathers worshiped stocks and stones."
- v. i Worship To perform acts of homage or adoration; esp., to perform religious service. "Our fathers worshiped in this mountain; and ye say that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship .""Was it for this I have loved . . . and worshiped in silence?"
- Worship To respect; to honor; to treat with civil reverence. "Our grave . . . shall have a tongueless mouth,
Not worshiped with a waxen epitaph.""This holy image that is man God worshipeth ."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n worship Honor; dignity; distinction; worthiness; honorable character or condition; good name; credit.
- n worship The outward recognition of merit; reverence; respect; deference.
- n worship Specifically, the reverence and homage which is or ought to be paid to God or a deity; adoration, sacrifice, praise, prayer, thanksgiving, or other devotional acts performed in honor of the Supreme Being or a god, and as part of religion.
- n worship Fervent esteem, admiration, or devotion; adoration.
- n worship Praise; glorification; celebration.
- n worship A title of honor used in addressing certain magistrates and others of rank or station. Abbreviated wp.
- n worship A church or chapel; a place devoted to the worship of God.
- worship To honor; respect; regard with reverence, respect, or deference.
- worship To show respect to; treat with consideration or honor; pay one's respects to.
- worship Specifically, to adore; pay divine honors to; show reverence to, with supreme respect and veneration; perform religious service to.
- worship To love or admire inordinately; devote one's self to; act toward or treat as if divine; idolize: as, to worship wealth or power.
- worship Synonyms Adore, Worship, Reverence, etc. See adore.
- worship To perform acts of adoration; perform religious service.
- worship To love or admire a person inordinately.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
- n Worship wur′ship religious service: fervent esteem: adoration paid to God: a title of honour in addressing certain magistrates, &c.: submissive respect
- v.t Worship to respect highly: to treat with civil reverence: to pay divine honours to: to adore or idolise
- v.i Worship to perform acts of adoration: to perform religious service:—pr.p. wor′shipping; pa.t. and pa.p. wor′shipped
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
OE. worshipe, wurðscipe, AS. weorðscipe,; weorð, worth + -scipe, -ship. See Worth (a.), and -ship
He was their only child and they just worshipped him.
"Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, 1905 to 1906" by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Worship without adoration is worship only in name, or rather is no worship at all.
"The Idea of God in Early Religions" by F. B. Jevons
New House of Worship.
"Autobiography of Frank G. Allen, Minister of the Gospel" by Frank G. Allen
The true worship of the one loved shrine prevents all other worship.
"The Bertrams" by Anthony Trollope
Therefore it is that worship calls for art; therefore, too, it is that art so often finds its noblest use in worship.
"The Worship of the Church" by Jacob A. Regester
Public worship was now everywhere restored in its ancient forms.
"The Great Events by Famous Historians, Volume 9" by Various
Yes, by the goddess whom she worshipped she would venture!
"Saronia" by Richard Short
God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and truth.
"Lord, Teach Us To Pray" by Andrew Murray
No wonder they worship it!
"Flash-lights from the Seven Seas" by William L. Stidger
May even now the worship of heaven that rests not day or night be the worship my soul renders Thee without ceasing.
"Holy in Christ" by Andrew Murray
The Church of God is one:
One only Lord we know;
We worship Jesus, God’s own Son,
Who came God’s love to show.
"The Church Of God Is One" by Daniel Webster Moody
I have no hopes or longings,
I scarce can feel your kiss,--
For thought, and joy and worship,
Another hour than this!
"Noon" by Sophie Margaret Hensley
I loved her with a love as true,
As ever dwelt on earth;
Oh sure my worship was too deep,
Even at that shrine of worth.
"You Ask Why I Am Lonely Now" by James Avis Bartley
Learn then, ye princes, and give ear,
Ye judges of the earth;
Worship the Lord with holy fear;
Rejoice with awful mirth.
"With restless and ungoverned rage" by Nahum Tate and Nicholas Brady
True son of our dear Mother, early taught
With her to worship and for her to die,
Nurs’d in her aisles to more than kingly thought,
Oft in her solemn hours we dream thee nigh.
"King Charles the Martyr" by John Keble
Hope in your mountains, and hope in your streams,
Bow down in their worship and loudly pray;
Trust in your strength and believe in your dreams,
But the wind shall carry them all away.
"On The Loss Of A Pious Friend" by John Gardiner Calkins Brainard
Joplin's First Community Church opens newly rebuilt sanctuary for worship.
Worship services are at 10 am The Rev.
Local boy Cheyenne Jackson is worshiped on Broadway.
Let's just make it official: Kathy Griffin is the best friend a celebrity-gawking, "Talk Soup"-loving, Streisand-worshiping, US Weekly reader ever had.
Worship services are April 3-5.
Best House of Worship AV Project (Under $250K).
Best House of Worship AV Project.
House of Worship Protection Act challenged by federal lawsuit.
Avery County's oldest house of worship .
Best House of Worship to Turn to When You Hit Bottom.
Best Uninhabited House of Worship .
Be a contractor long enough and you're going to end up selling stuff to your family, friend or house of worship .
Family, Friends and House of Worship .
House of Worship Sound.
A onetime FBI informant says he was directed to infiltrate the Islamic Center of Irvine in California and spy on worshipers there.
Now suppose that this high tech substitute of the ancestor worship is selfadaptive. I mean that the rules of this game (which we call natural laws) are not ﬁxed forever but can change defending the participants’ creative output.
LHC card games: bringing about retrocausality?
For this, too, I worship Him and give to Him my loyalty.
Bose-Einstein Condensation of Atomic Hydrogen
We got the heliocentric theory and Louis XIV, the Sun King, who proclaimed that ‘The state is I’.30 Both science and the state worship Law with a capital L.
Physics Education Research: Or it's so hard to find good help these days
Of course, it is natural to imagine some worship on the place too.
Maria Reiche's Line to Archaeoastronomy