"'My master wishes to speak with you.'"
- v wish invoke upon "wish you a nice evening","bid farewell"
- v wish order politely; express a wish for
- v wish make or express a wish "I wish that Christmas were over"
- v wish hope for; have a wish "I wish I could go home now"
- v wish feel or express a desire or hope concerning the future or fortune of
- v wish prefer or wish to do something "Do you care to try this dish?","Would you like to come along to the movies?"
- n wish the particular preference that you have "it was his last wish","they should respect the wishes of the people"
- n wish (usually plural) a polite expression of desire for someone's welfare "give him my kind regards","my best wishes"
- n wish an expression of some desire or inclination "I could tell that it was his wish that the guests leave","his crying was an indirect request for attention"
- n wish a specific feeling of desire "he got his wish","he was above all wishing and desire"
Additional illustrations & photos:
A motorist wishes to point out
"I love that old man, and wish him awful well."
How I did wish he could have had some of my scolloped oysters, and jell-cake, and tarts
X Y Z & Amperse and All wished for a piece in hand
Despite the good wishes from friends
THE WISH BROUGHT ABOUT THE MOST ASTONISHING RESULTS—See
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
If you need to remember pi, just count the letters in each word of the sentence: "May I have a large container of coffee?" If you get the coffee and are polite say: "Thank you," get two more decimal places. (3.141592653...). Here is another sentance: How I wish I could calculate Pi. (3.141592)
- Wish A thing desired; an object of desire. "Will he, wise, let loose at once his ire . . . To give his enemies their wish !"
- Wish Desire; eager desire; longing. "Behold, I am according to thy wish in God a stead."
- Wish Expression of desire; request; petition; hence, invocation or imprecation. "Blistered be thy tongue for such a wish ."
- Wish To desire; to long for; to hanker after; to have a mind or disposition toward. "I would not wish Any companion in the world but you.""I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper."
- Wish To frame or express desires concerning; to invoke in favor of, or against, any one; to attribute, or cal down, in desire; to invoke; to imprecate. "I would not wish them to a fairer death.""I wish it may not prove some ominous foretoken of misfortune to have met with such a miser as I am.""Let them be driven backward, and put to shame, that wish me evil."
- Wish To have a desire or yearning; to long; to hanker. "They cast four anchors out of the stern, and wished for the day.""This is as good an argument as an antiquary could wish for."
- Wish To recommend; to seek confidence or favor in behalf of. "I would be glad to thrive, sir,
And I was wished to your worship by a gentleman."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
When gentlemen in medieval Japan wished to seal an agreement, they urinated together, crisscrossing their streams of urine.
- n wish Desire; sometimes, eager desire or longing.
- n wish An expression of desire; a request; a petition; sometimes, an expression of either a benevolent or a malevolent disposition toward others.
- n wish The thing desired; the object of desire.
- wish To have a wish or desire; cherish some desire, either for what is or for what is not supposed to be obtainable; long: often with for before an object.
- wish To desire; crave; covet; want; long for: as, what do you wish ? my master wishes to speak with you.
- wish To desire (something) to be: with objective predicate.
- wish To desire in behalf of some one or something (expressed by dative); invoke, or call down (upon): as, to wish one joy or luck.
- wish To recommend; commend to another's confidence, approval, kindness, or care.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Ishi had made it very clear before he died that he did not want to be autopsied. However, his wishes were ignored and his body was autopsied and the brain removed and sent to the Smithsonian, where scientists were collecting brains for a study of brain size and race. After 83 years, the Smithsonian is finally returning the brain of Ishi to his closest relatives so they can bury his remains.
- v.i Wish wish to have a desire: to long (so in B.): to be inclined
- v.t Wish to desire or long for: to ask: to invoke:
- n Wish desire, longing: thing desired: expression of desire
- v.t Wish (Shak.) to recommend
Be careful what you wish for - If you get things that you desire, there may be unforeseen and unpleasant consequences.('Be careful what you wish for, lest it come true.' and 'Be careful what you wish for; you may receive it.' are also used.)
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride - This means that wishing for something or wanting it is not the same as getting or having it.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
OE. wischen, weschen, wuschen, AS. wscan,; akin to D. wenschen, G. wünschen, Icel. æeskja, Dan. önske, Sw. önska,; from AS. wsc, a wish; akin to OD. & G. wunsch, OHG. wunsc, Icel. sk, Skr. vāchā, a wish, vāch, to wish; also to Skr. van, to like, to wish. . See Winsome Win (v. t.), and cf. Wistful
I only wish you could have seen him.
"Childhood's Favorites and Fairy Stories" by Various
He wished his wife to become a social power; and he wished his wife to be amused.
"Tancred" by Benjamin Disraeli
How I wish to be with you, dearest Victoire, on that day!
"The Letters of Queen Victoria, Volume 1 (of 3), 1837-1843)" by Queen Victoria
Why did you put them there, if you did not wish them to be seen?
"Lavengro the Scholar - the Gypsy - the Priest" by George Borrow
If you wish to see me again, tell Richard, and I will come; but I do not wish to be in the way.
"Ernest Linwood" by Caroline Lee Hentz
He wishes it, and all who love him wish it.
"Christie Redfern's Troubles" by Margaret Robertson
I was brought up to wish that Virginia had never held a slave.
"The Long Roll" by Mary Johnston
I wish he were not here; I wish with all my heart he were not here.
"Orley Farm" by Anthony Trollope
He had no wish to leave Merleville while the people wished him to remain.
"Janet's Love and Service" by Margaret M Robertson
All I wish to know is whether you wish to ride.
"Lavengro The Scholar, the Gypsy, the Priest" by George Borrow
Oh my god! Like
I wish I had a dog.
Oh my god!
I had a dog but he's gone.
"Zero" by Robert Creeley
A HANDFUL of cherries
She gave me in passing,
The wizened old woman,
And wished me good luck--
"Cherries" by Wilfrid Wilson Gibson
All earthly good we wish thee,
All good for thee and thine,
And still not only earthly,
But all that is divine.
"Just Married" by Frank Barbour Coffin
But, bowed in lowliness of mind,
I make my humble wishes known;
I only ask a will resigned,
O Father, to Thine own!
"The Wish Of To-Day" by John Greenleaf Whittier
I wish I were the chalice fair,
That holds the Blood of Love,
When every flash lights holy prayer
Upon its way above.
"A Child's Wish" by Abram Joseph Ryan
Too slowly our bark seems to drift toward the prize,
We in ecstasy wish it to speed faster on;
But while we are wishing, a mist dims our eyes,
And lo! that bright vision has vanished and gone.
"Drifting Away" by Jared Barhite
Now it looks like he'll get his wish.
" Mr Fowler asked, in a post entitled, "Things You Could Wish Upon Tyler Brûlé .
And if a Buddhist monk is wishing me well, I'm going to take whatever good vibes he can give me to try to deal with challenges back home.
"I wish they would have in cinemas, so when you watch a movie you could chew on it It would be perfect because it's salty, and then you don't need the popcorn and butter ".
I wish I could, but I can't.
We can only wish we made this up.
I wish him great success in the future.
It's the matchup Moose Lake-Willow River has wanted all year, and now the Rebels will get their wish as they will face Caledonia in the MSHSL Class AA football championship.
I, for one, do not wish to see any more like Wednesday's cartoon.
After spending decades and billions of dollars searching for the Higgs boson particle, physicists will soon find out if it was all just wishful thinking.
"If anything, I wish she'd dress more conservatively ," says the pop star, 51.
I sure flat wish I had me a nice ice cold cocktail.
A McAllen teen living with epilepsy was granted her wish of becoming a nurse by the Make-a-Wish Foundation on Thursday.
The Make-A-Wish Foundation grants a wish every 38 minutes.
This Opie 's Angel wish is one of the simplest wishes we have been able to grant.
We wish to relate factor sets and equivalence.
Abelian extensions of algebras in congruence-modular varieties
We wish to apply Proposition 2 to R = R[w] ⊆ RS .
Semigroups, rings, and Markov chains
We now wish to compare this with the T-dual image of (25), which describes a theory with a B -ﬁeld, compactiﬁed on a purely spatial circle of radius R.
IIA/B, Wound and Wrapped
We consider a full CFT with the modular invariant given by (32) and wish to describe all boundary conditions for the extended theory that preserve (at least) the original chiral algebra A. 9 We wish to generalize (35).
Conformal field theory, boundary conditions and applications to string theory
Eq. (5) can be obtained as follows: we wish to compute the probability that β (x) has global maxima at 0, x.
Breakdown of Conformal Invariance at Strongly Random Critical Points