School of the Vestal Virgins
- adj virgin in a state of sexual virginity "pure and vestal modesty","a spinster or virgin lady","men have decreed that their women must be pure and virginal"
- adj virgin being used or worked for the first time "virgin wool"
- n Virgin the sixth sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about August 23 to September 22
- n Virgin (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Virgo
- n virgin a person who has never had sex
Additional illustrations & photos:
Palmer and the Wise Virgin
THE FOOLISH VIRGINS
The Virgin with four Saints
Death of the Virgin
The Virgin Crowned by two Angels
Portion of Carved Walnut Virginal
Cover: Virginal by Giovanni Battista Boni, 1617
2. Ruckers virginal: Plan view
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Daylight savings time started during World War I, so Americans could use as much natural lighting as possible and conserve energy needed for war production. Despite the Uniform Time Act, which Congress passed in 1966 to standardize the time change, several states within the United States do not observe Daylight Saving Time. They are Arizona, Hawaii, parts of Indiana, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa.
- Virgin (Zoöl) A female insect producing eggs from which young are hatched, though there has been no fecundation by a male; a parthenogenetic insect.
- Virgin A person of the male sex who has not known sexual indulgence. "These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins .""He his flesh hath overcome;
He was a virgin , as he said."
- Virgin A woman who has had no carnal knowledge of man; a maid.
- Virgin (Zoöl) Any one of several species of gossamer-winged butterflies of the family Lycænidæ.
- Virgin Being a virgin; chaste; of or pertaining to a virgin; becoming a virgin; maidenly; modest; indicating modesty; as, a virgin blush. "Virgin shame.""Innocence and virgin modesty . . . That would be wooed, and unsought be won."
- Virgin Not yet pregnant; impregnant.
- Virgin Pure; undefiled; unmixed; fresh; new; as, virgin soil; virgin gold.
"Virgin Dutch.""The white cold virgin snow upon my heart.""A few ounces of mutton, with a little virgin oil."
- Virgin (Astron) See Virgo.
- v. i Virgin To act the virgin; to be or keep chaste; -- followed by it. See It, 5. "My true lip hath virgined it e'er since [that kiss]."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
In earlier times, virginity on one's wedding night was of the greatest importance. To prove that the bride was a virgin, it was customary that the couple would display the bloodstained bedsheet for all to see once the wedding was consummated.
- n virgin A woman who has had no carnal knowledge of man; a maiden of inviolate chastity; a pure maid.
- n virgin A man who has preserved his chastity.
- n virgin One who professes perpetual virginity; especially, in the early church, one of a class or order of women who were vowed to lifelong continence.
- n virgin The state of virginity.
- n virgin A parthenogenetic insect, as an aphid; a female insect which lays eggs which hatch, though there has been no fecundation for some generations by the male.
- n virgin Any female animal which has not had young, or has not copulated.
- n virgin [capitalized] The zodiacal sign or the constellation Virgo. See Virgo.
- virgin Of or pertaining to a maid or virgin; being a virgin; befitting a virgin; chaste; pure; maidenly; indicating modesty.
- virgin Unsullied; undefiled: as, virgin snow; virgin minds.
- virgin Untouched; not meddled with; unused; untried; fresh; new; unalloyed: as, virgin soil.
- virgin In zoology, parthenogenetic, as an insect; of or pertaining to parthenogenesis: as, virgin reproduction. See agamogenesis.
- virgin To play the virgin; be or continue chaste: sometimes with indefinite it.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
The male gypsy moth can "smell" the virgin female gypsy moth from 1.8 miles away.
- n Virgin vėr′jin a maiden: a woman who has had no sexual intercourse with man: one devoted to virginity: a madonna, a figure of the Virgin: a person of either sex who has not known sexual intercourse: any female animal that has not copulated: a parthenogenetic insect:
- adj Virgin becoming a maiden: maidenly: pure: chaste: undefiled: fresh, new: parthenogenetic
- v.i Virgin (Shak.) to continue chaste
- adv Virgin chastely
- n Virgin vėr′jin (astron.) Virgo, one of the signs of the zodiac
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
L. virgo, -inis,: cf. OF. virgine, virgene, virge, vierge, F. vierge,
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
O, Fr.,—L. virgo, virginis.
Thus, I have never taken a virgin.
"The Galaxy Primes" by Edward Elmer Smith
And, in any case, a vow to oneself is not a vow to the Virgin.
"Clayhanger" by Arnold Bennett
Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
"The Parables of Our Lord" by William Arnot
THE VIRGIN OF REMEDIES.
"Mexico and its Religion" by Robert A. Wilson
What was the colour of the Virgin Mary's hair?
"Curiosities of Literature, Vol. 1 (of 3)" by Isaac D'Israeli
A virgin was moved for a virgin, and gave me assistance.
"The Metamorphoses of Ovid" by Publius Ovidius Naso
After dinner she went up to her room and prayed to the Virgin.
"The Californians" by Gertrude Franklin Horn Atherton
We watched it crawl, snail-like, over the virgin sky.
"The Trail of '98" by Robert W. Service
St. Roch recommending Donor to Virgin.
"The Venetian Painters of the Renaissance" by Bernhard Berenson
Does this appear a trifle to you, to ravish a virgin, a citizen?
"The Comedies of Terence" by Publius Terentius Afer, (AKA) Terence
In virgin forms do saints abide,
In virgin voices pray,
And all upon this earth beside,
Is worthless, loveless clay.
"Love At The Capuchin Church" by William Crafts
Well mounted on a milk-white steed,
His armour white as snow:
As well beseem'd a virgin knight,
Who ne'er had fought a foe.
"Valentine and Ursine" by Anonymous British
Christ, by highest Heaven ador'd,
Christ, the everlasting Lord:
Late in time behold him come,
Offspring of a virgin's womb!
"For Christmas Day" by Charles Wesley
Never to hold or to bind—
Only to know how fleet
The dream that is and yet is not his,—
Virginal — wild — and sweet.
"The Poet" by Theodosia Garrison
Farewell, she sayd, ye virgins all,
And shun the fault I fell in:
Henceforth take warning by the fall
Of cruel Barbara Allen.
"Barbara Allen's Cruelty" by Thomas Percy
Jesu, the virgins' Crown, do Thou
Accept us as in prayer we bow,
Born of that virgin whom alone
The mother and the maid we own.
"Jesu, the Virgins' Crown" by Augusta Treverorum
A study from Virgin Mobile showed that not only are cell phones changing the way we interact, but they could be hurting our memory as well.
Virgin America Reservation Changeover Creates Bumpy Ride.
A lot of fathers hope their daughters will be virgins until they walk them down the aisle.
The Rosary of the Virgin Mary.
Mark Ronson reproduction Virgin Sony.
Rush's Version of the "Virgin/Whore" Dichotomy .
The Dismemberment Plan is playing this year's Virgin Mobile FreeFest on Oct 6 at Merriweather Post Pavillion.
Columbia Heights Day, Virgin Mobile FreeFest.
Hype Machine brought out JJAMZ, Indians, the Neighbourhood , the Virgins and Unknown Mortal Orchestra for its CMJ 2012 showcase at Brooklyn Bowl on Wednesday night.
Virgin Global Challenger Lands Safely.
Good luck finding 72 virgins in this joint.
Robin Marchand said she decided to get a pre-paid Virgin Mobile cell phone for her teenage son.
Shoppers looking for extra-virgin olive oil may not think they have much in common with Juan Antonio Armentero Ruiz.
Virgin Mobile FreeFest releasing 1,000 extra tickets.
Spotting the RIU Palace Pacifico in the midst of Riviera Nayarit's all-but-virgin shoreline is a friendly shock to the senses, like a spoonful of sugary icing.
Note that the following results involve only the virgin magnetization states, but that a magnetic ﬁeld has also been applied, showing that the magnetization textures under study are more robust than simple metastable states generated during growth.
On the magnetization textures in NiPd nanostructures
In all these cases, the virgin state considered are the zero ﬁeld cooled state from well above the superheating limit of the samples.
Magnetic glass in Shape Memory Alloy : Ni45Co5Mn38Sn12
Fig. 7a) exhibits some changes when compared to virgin InP.
Nanoscale Defect Formation on InP(111) Surfaces after MeV Sb Implantation
Figure 2. Difference between observed and predicted diameter increments for virgin stands (0) and stands logged once (1), twice (2) or three times (3).
Effects of Selection Logging on Rainforest Productivity
Now I have a feeling that if we went back to 30, 40 or 50 years ago, when particle physics was a virgin, people were working on precision measurements of electromagnetic interactions.
Round Table Discussion at the Final Session of FPCP 2008: The Future of Flavor Physics and CP