Four Different Arrangements of Benches in a Shop
- v shop give away information about somebody "He told on his classmate who had cheated on the exam"
- v shop do one's shopping "She goes shopping every Friday"
- v shop shop around; not necessarily buying "I don't need help, I'm just browsing"
- v shop do one's shopping at; do business with; be a customer or client of
- n shop a course of instruction in a trade (as carpentry or electricity) "I built a birdhouse in shop"
- n shop a mercantile establishment for the retail sale of goods or services "he bought it at a shop on Cape Cod"
- n shop small workplace where handcrafts or manufacturing are done
Additional illustrations & photos:
General Tool rack in a School Shop
The barber shop quartette on the trip home
Near the foundation of the probable bake shop, a pair of kilns once served for slaking lime, and perhaps for firing...
LOWELL MACHINE SHOP About 1860
LOWELL MACHINE SHOP
A SHOP IN DELHI
A CARPET SHOP, DELHI
Gargantua Visiting the Shops--1-17-038
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Canada has more donut shops per capita than the United States
imp. of Shape. Shaped.
- Shop A building in which mechanics or artisans work; as, a shoe shop; a car shop.
"A tailor called me in his shop ."
- Shop A building or an apartment in which goods, wares, drugs, etc., are sold by retail. "From shop to shop Wandering, and littering with unfolded silks
The polished counter."
- Shop A person's occupation, business, profession, or the like, as a subject of attention, interest, conversation, etc.; -- sometimes in deprecation or disapproval; as, to talk shop at a party. Also used attributively, as in shop talk.
- Shop (Slang) A place where any industry is carried on; as, a chemist's shop
- Shop Any place of resort, as one's house, a restaurant, etc.
- Shop the group of workers and the activities controlled by an administrator; as, to have five people in one's shop
- v. i Shop To visit shops for the purpose of purchasing goods. "He was engaged with his mother and some ladies to go shopping ."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
The city of Nottingham in England was the first city to have Braille signs (signs for the blind) in its shopping malls for the blind
- n shop A booth or stall where wares were usually both made and displayed for sale.
- n shop A building, or a room or suite of rooms, appropriated to the selling of wares at retail.
- n shop [In the rural districts and smaller towns of the United States the term store takes almost exclusively the place of the British shop, but the latter word is in occasional and increasing use in this sense in large cities.
- n shop A room or building in which the making, preparing, or repairing of any article is carried on, or in which any industry is pursued: as, a machine-shop; a repair-shop; a barber's shop; a carpenter's shop.
- n shop Hence, figuratively The place where anything is made; the producing place or source.
- n shop In glass-making, a team or set of workmen. See the quotation.
- n shop One's own business, craft, calling, or profession; also, talk specifically relating to this: used in a ludicrous or contemptuous sense. Compare to talk shop, below.
- shop To visit shops or stores for the purpose of purchasing or examining goods.
- shop To shut up; put behind bars; imprison.
- shop An obsolete preterit of shape.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Montreal has an underground city, which has over 2,000 shops and 26 kilometres of walkways. This is the largest underground network for any city
- n Shop shop a building in which goods are sold by retail: a place where mechanics work, or where any kind of industry is pursued: one's own business or profession, also talk about such
- v.i Shop to visit shops for the purpose of buying
- v.t Shop (slang) to imprison:—pr.p. shop′ping; pa.p. shopped
All over the shop - If something is completely disorganised or confused, it is all over the shop.
Bull in a China shop - If someone behaves like a bull in a China shop, they are clumsy when they should be careful.
Shop floor - 'Shop floor' refers to the part of an organisation where the work is actually performed rather than just managed.
Talk shop - If you talk shop, you talk about work matters, especially if you do this outside work.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
OE. shoppe, schoppe, AS. sceoppa, a treasury, a storehouse, stall, booth; akin to scypen, a shed, LG. schup, a shed, G. schoppen, schuppen, a shed, a coachhouse, OHG. scopf,
His soul was never so staked down as in an old bookseller's shop.
"The Book-Hunter in London" by William Roberts
It may always be noted in the barber shops.
"Pipefuls" by Christopher Morley
But I don't stay caged in my shop all day: I've got a wife and a raven to stay at home and mind the stock.
"Romola" by George Eliot
One of the shops is also the post office.
"Lady Bountiful" by George A. Birmingham
Before I had been many months in the shop, Mr Brookes was able to leave when any exigence required his immediate attendance.
"Japhet in Search of a Father" by Frederick Marryat
Within the shop was dark and had a musty odor.
"The Opal Serpent" by Fergus Hume
In some embarrassment, the Bunch rolled up their bubb and lugged it into the shop.
"The Planet Strappers" by Raymond Zinke Gallun
Miss Mapp set off with her basket to do her shopping.
"Miss Mapp" by Edward Frederic Benson
This is especially true of the shop-windows on Fifth Avenue, New York.
"Penguin Persons & Peppermints" by Walter Prichard Eaton
Max was at the time working at a huge turret lathe in one of the turning-shops.
"Two Daring Young Patriots" by W. P. Shervill
When he came to my shop each day,
So peaked and cold,
I'd sneak one of his books away
And say 'twas sold.
"Poor Poet" by Robert W Service
Their way's no longer my way,
For I must follow now
The drum-tap and the bugle,
While they're for shop and plough.
"The New Recruit" by Katharine Tynan
He left the shop, and in the street
He sat him down to cry,
He heard the trampling of the feet
Of those who passed him by.
"Who Cares?" by John Hartley
The war god calls, whate'er befalls
His orders must be filled,
Though work may stop in mine and shop,
And farms may lie untilled.
"The Orgy Of Thor" by Abner Cosens
Now underneath the shop it's true
Where other bodies tumbled through
There lived a little widow who
Loved Sweeney Todd, the Barber.
"Sweeney Todd, The Barber" by Weston and Lee
And in his little shop, who knows
What bitter games of war are played?
Why, daily on each corner grows
A foe to rob him of his trade.
"Delicatessen" by Alfred Joyce Kilmer
Westland's shopping and dining district is anchored by Westland Shopping Center and is surrounded by more than 160 shops, restaurants and services making it Wayne County's premier shopping and dining destination.
As the holidays approach, that means shopping, and increasingly, online shopping.
Fashion and shopping blogger Emma Iannarilli discusses one of the only shopping trips in the year that she dreads - the hunt to find the perfect Father's Day gift.
The finishes are sold to shop owners through "DuPont Economic Line Product Standard Shops," which also are referred to as "eco-shops.
This was the third year that the Trumbull County Sheriff's deputies took the children shopping as part of Shop With a Cop.
Larry was the owner of Dad's Toy Shop, a Toyota and Lexus repair shop in Denton for 10 years.
After learning metal fab skills at various shops and respected fabricators like Steve Davis, Eddie opened his own shop in 1996.
Shopping for the perfect gift can be a challenge and the hardest person to shop for.
Surf forecast site launches online store surf, online, shop, solspot, local, shops, store, percent, sales, idea.
There are only 31 shopping days to fill your shopping bags and carts with presents.
Fort Wayne Children's Zoo's Wild Things Gift Shop open Dec 15 for holiday shopping.
Event Network, which manages gift shop s at several historical sites nationally, has taken over the Alamo gift shop starting Monday.
Three tattoo shops turned McDonald away, she said, but she ultimately ended up working with tattoo artist Pete Gillespie, who owns a tattoo shop in the town of Dalkeith.
US President Barack Obama and his daughter Sasha shop at One More Page Books on Small Business Saturday, which promotes shopping at local small businesses, in the Falls Church neighborhood of Arlington, Virginia, on November 24, 2012.
When she bought the shop in 2001, it was located in a 2,500-square-foot space in the Cotton Patch Café Shopping Center.
From shopping cart customer can review detailed information from the cart for any item.
A UI Design Case Study and a Prototype of a Travel Search Engine
However, current systems do not allow the application of both of these thresholds simultaneously, selecting products and shops satisfying both thresholds.
Maio, Effects of Radiation Damage on Scintil lating Fiber Calorimetry, in Large Hadron Collider Work-shop, vol.
A 1 mm Scintillating Fibre Tracker Readout by a Multi-anode Photomultiplier
In fact, the present overview can be regarded as a shopping list of the present challenges in this ﬁeld.
Quantum Interferometry with Electrons: Outstanding Challenges
It would be very helpful to form a “shopping list” of measurements we want LHCb to make in the charm sector.
The future of charm physics: a discussion