Addie's pet bird perches on her finger
- adj pet preferred above all others and treated with partiality "the favored child"
- v pet stroke or caress in an erotic manner, as during lovemaking
- v pet stroke or caress gently "pet the lamb"
- n PET using a computerized radiographic technique to examine the metabolic activity in various tissues (especially in the brain)
- n pet a domesticated animal kept for companionship or amusement
- n pet a fit of petulance or sulkiness (especially at what is felt to be a slight)
- n pet a special loved one
Additional illustrations & photos:
When Dad Put his Hand on Her Shoulder and Petted It 276
The Pet Lamb
girl petting cat
De Narsac pets the emaciated dog
"PETS! DON'T YOU love THEM? Aren't THEY TAME?"
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
The most popular name for a pet in the United States is Max
- pet A cade lamb; a lamb brought up by hand.
- pet A slight fit of peevishness or fretfulness. "In a pet she started up."
- pet Any animal kept as a companion, usually in or around one's home, typically domesticated and cared for attentively and often affectionately. Distinguished from animals raised for food or to perform useful tasks, as a draft animal.
- pet Any person especially cherished and indulged; a fondling; a darling; often, a favorite child. "The love of cronies, pets , and favorites."
- a pet Petted; indulged; admired; cherished; as, a pet child; a pet lamb; a pet theory; a pet animal.
"Some young lady's pet curate."
- v. i Pet To be a pet.
- v. t Pet To treat as a pet; to fondle; to indulge; as, she was petted and spoiled.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Cat was the name of Holly Golightly's pet cat in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's.
- n pet Any domesticated or tamed animal, as a dog, a squirrel, or a dove, that is fondled and indulged; in particular, a lamb brought up by hand; a cadelamb; in general, a fondling.
- n pet A darling or favorite child; one who is fondled and indulged or treated with peculiar kindness or favor; also, a spoiled child; a wilful young woman.
- pet Fondled and indulged: as, a pet lamb; a pet rabbit; a pet pigeon.
- pet Favored; favorite; cherished: as, a pet theory.
- pet To treat as a pet; fondle; indulge: as, to pet a child or a kitten.
- n pet A fit, as of peevishness, ill humor, or discontent.
- pet To be peevish or cross; sulk.
- pet To make peevish; pique; offend; make cross.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Every year, $1.5 billion is spent on pet food. This is four times the amount spent on baby food.
- n Pet pet any animal tame and fondled: a word of endearment often used to young children: a favourite child: a wilful young woman—also Peat
- adj Pet indulged: cherished: favourite
- v.t Pet to treat as a pet: to fondle:—pr.p. pet′ting; pa.t. and pa.p. pet′ted
- n Pet pet a sudden fit of peevishness or slight passion: ill-humour
- v.i Pet to be peevish, to sulk
With a shout of delight they rushed upon him, eager to greet and caress their wilderness pet.
"Black Bruin" by Clarence Hawkes
And now I'm coming to the melancholy part of the history connected with my pet shark.
"Marmaduke Merry" by William H. G. Kingston
At the end of three months his pet was returned to him.
"The Dawn of Reason" by James Weir
Dick had been an only son, petted and spoiled.
"Hubert's Wife" by Minnie Mary Lee
It was a thundering shame the child couldn't have her pet with her.
"Mary Rose of Mifflin" by Frances R. Sterrett
No one ever pets her.
"The Love Affairs of an Old Maid" by Lilian Bell
And have they got as many pets as ever?
"Red Rose and Tiger Lily" by L. T. Meade
We could not carry even the skin home, and one young monkey as a pet is enough.
"In the Wilds of Africa" by W.H.G. Kingston
Travis stooped and petted the old dog.
"The Bishop of Cottontown" by John Trotwood Moore
At last came a Saturday when the Dragon actually walked into the Royal nursery and carried off the King's own pet Rocking Horse.
"The Book of Dragons" by Edith Nesbit
I feared the freezing blizzard,
fretted about my pet ram
and Toppa too, my stripling
two-year-old colt, my jewel.
"The Pipit" by Jonas Hallgrimsson
Do you not know me, pet? Speak! speak!
There is no answer in her cheek.
To find her now where shall I seek?—
Seek in the vanished morning!
"Dead!" by Alfred Austin
And to the sheep-men standing near,
'You see,' I said, 'this one tame sheep:
It seems a child has lost her pet,
And cried herself to sleep.'
"A Child's Pet" by William H Davies
The tired pet, who wanted to go home,
The Elder Brother drew her to his breast,
Earth weariness earth soil alike unknown,
Crowned without conflict, bore her into rest
"To My Friend" by Nora Pembroke
Behind you, Phyllis, mother's pet,
Your gift unto the Future, stands,
Dimpling your skirt, uncertain yet
If she recalls or I forget,
With violets fresh in both her hands.
"Dedication To Lady Windsor" by Alfred Austin
Tha mooant dip thi finger i'th' traitle pot, doy,
(Tho' aw reckon tha follers th' example tha's set,)
Mothers, nah days, dooan't know ha to train childer, joy,
But tha'll heed what thi gronny says,--willn't ta, pet?
"Come Thi Ways In" by John Hartley
Portland Pet Expo, pet first aid and more.
AP Photo/Seth Wenig In this Jan.19, 2011 file photo, headstones marking the graves of pets are spread throughout the Hartsdale Pet Cemetery in Hartsdale, N.Y.
Adopt a Senior Pet Month occurred in November, so it seems a fitting time to chat about health care for our aging pet population.
Through a partnership with Nutro Pet Foods , Springfield, Mass.-based Rocky's Ace Hardware and customers are helping homeless and abandoned pets.
With Halloween just a week away the Humane Society for Shelter Pets is offering America's pet owners some safety tips to ensure this Halloween is truly spooktacular.
Pet news, Pet Tales and shelter information.
(KUTV) Temma Martin from No More Homeless Pets brings the Pet of the Week.
The PetBook¹s 12,895 pet-friendly hotels in the US and Canada represent a 7 percent increase from last year, showing the continued popularity of traveling with pets.
How safe is your pet when you use a pet harnesses to restrain them in the car.
For some pet owners, traveling with pets is worth hassle .
If that list includes pets and pet owners, we may have the answer for you.
Pets are so far surviving Sandy, with hundreds of animals safe in shelters and rescue workers standing by to help pets in trouble.
The makers of Invisible Fence, a yard containment system for pets, have introduced the Micro Shield Avoidance Solution, a mobile wireless unit that helps pets avoid areas of the home where their owners don't want them to go.
Across the country, more than 13,000 pet rescue organizations are asking members of the public to invite a pet home for the holidays.
Every person who has a pet can help reduce shelter populations by spaying or neutering your pet.
Quantum spin chains have long been a pet sub ject of theorists, as they are mathematically more tractable than higher dimensional systems and exhibit various exotic many-body phenomena.
Some Recent Issues in Quantum Magnetism
Lindgren et al., PET (Pion Electroproduction at Threshold) proposal, in preparation.
Goldstone boson-nucleon dynamics: Working group summary and outlook
For e+e− production we do not need to select events with large pet , and so we may consider the small pet domain where the e+e− production cross section is much larger, and where the rescattering correction becomes totally negligible.
Summary Talk: First Workshop on Forward Physics and Luminosity Determination at the LHC
Photon event table (PET) ﬁles were extracted in a 2◦ × 2◦ region centered on each of the SASS-based cluster candidates.
The Cluster Mass Function from Weak Gravitational Lensing
These may be of primary interest in some specialized FDA applications, such as those involving PET-fMRI images (cf.
A powerful test based on tapering for use in functional data analysis