Outline for arm positions, profile
- v outline describe roughly or briefly or give the main points or summary of "sketch the outline of the book","outline his ideas"
- v outline trace the shape of
- v outline draw up an outline or sketch for something "draft a speech"
- n outline a schematic or preliminary plan
- n outline a sketchy summary of the main points of an argument or theory
- n outline the line that appears to bound an object
Additional illustrations & photos:
Outline for arm positions, full face
Diagrammatic outline of bird's body
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Used in art the word "sfumato" refers to the subtle blending of an outline by gradually blending one tone into another
- Outline A sketch composed of such lines; the delineation of a figure without shading.
- Outline Fig.: A sketch of any scheme; a preliminary or general indication of a plan, system, discourse, course of thought, etc.; as, the outline of a speech. "But that larger grief . . .
Is given in outline and no more."
- Outline Fig.: To sketch out or indicate as by an outline; to create a general framework of (a plan, system, discourse, course of thought), for which the details need to be added; as, to outline an argument or a campaign.
- Outline In art: A line drawn by pencil, pen, graver, or the like, by which the boundary of a figure is indicated.
- Outline The line which marks the outer limits of an object or figure; the exterior line or edge; contour.
- Outline To draw the outline of.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n outline The line, real or apparent, by which a figure is defined; the exterior line; contour; external figure.
- n outline A style or method of drawing in which an object or a scene is represented merely by lines of contour without shading. In such drawings the effect of shading is sometimes produced by thickening the lines on the side away from the light; but this method is opposed to the true function of an outline. Compare cuts under Hermes and hawse-hole.
- n outline A rough draft or first general sketch of the main features of some scheme or design, the details of which can be filled in later if need be; a description of the principal features only.
- n outline In angling, a set-line.
- n outline Synonyms Outline, Contour, Profile, Sketch, Delineation. Outline is, literally, the outer or exterior line; but the word is freely used for a representation by the principal or distinguishing lines. Contour and profile retain this distinctive meaning of the outside line, the former referring to the boundary of the whole figure in any position, and the latter to the boundary of face or figure when seen directly from one side, with figurative uses in architecture and surveying. A sketch fills up the outline to a greater or less degree, not completely, but so that a lively idea of the original object or scene is conveyed. Delineation is rather indefinite, but is more than an outline and may be complete. Outline, sketch, and delineation bear the same relation to one another when used to express the representation of a subject in words.
- outline To draw the exterior line of; draw in outline; delineate; sketch the main features of.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
- n Outline owt′līn the outer line: the lines by which any figure is bounded: a sketch showing only the main lines: a draft: a set-line in fishing
- v.t Outline to draw the exterior line of: to delineate or sketch
In an essay of this scope no more can be done than give the barest outline of the modern movement.
"Jewish Literature and Other Essays" by Gustav Karpeles
This may be pleasantly broken by a study of Poetry, following the outline in the chapter on Verse Forms.
"English: Composition and Literature" by W. F. (William Franklin) Webster
The career of John Strachan has already been outlined.
"McGill and its Story, 1821-1921" by Cyrus Macmillan
Something unfamiliar to the touch was outlined wrapped up in the rag, and Ralph explored.
"Ralph on the Overland Express" by Allen Chapman
His heart pounded as his groping fingers outlined the cold iron numerals on the panel.
"Peter the Brazen" by George F. Worts
I catch momentary glimpses of him outlined against the pale yellow sky.
"A Son of the Middle Border" by Hamlin Garland
The distant peaks got hazy, the shining glaciers faded, and the outline of the rocks was blurred.
"Partners of the Out-Trail" by Harold Bindloss
A mere outline is alone necessary.
"The Night Riders" by Ridgwell Cullum
Let me suggest a minimum of detail within these outlines.
"College Teaching" by Paul Klapper
No one has yet concentrated cold except in the presence of heat, as I have outlined.
"Astounding Stories of Super-Science, March 1930" by Various
I came out beyond the trees
To the moaning sea.
Over the sea swam a cloud the outline of a ship:
What if that ship held my adventure
Under its sails?
"Adventure" by Hilda Conkling
In words like weeds, I'll wrap me o'er,
Like coarsest clothes against the cold;
But that large grief which these enfold
Is given in outline and no more.
"A New Year's Plaint" by James Whitcomb Riley
What hand shall sketch the outline of that mind,
What pencil dare its excellence to trace,
What touch so bold, what colours so refin'd
As suits the drap'ry of each awful grace ?
"To My Best Friend" by Laura Sophia Temple
Let the dim starlight, when the low clouds sunder,
Silver the perfect outline of thy face.
Such faces had the saints; I only wonder
That thine has sought my heart for resting-place.
"Nay, Not To-night" by Laurence Hope
Outlines, lovely, vague, my haunted spirit plague.
What suggestions dim and sweet they breed!
Shadows gather thick, and my heart beats quick:
From the canvas now let dawn her face indeed.
"The Lover And The Painter" by Manmohan Ghose
But from my window as I speed across the sleeping land
I see the towns and villages wherein His houses stand.
Above the roofs I see a cross outlined against the night,
And I know that there my Lover dwells in His sacramental might.
"Multiplication" by Alfred Joyce Kilmer
EkmResponse Outline the Three Ingredients to Building the Perfect Mailing List .
Sad to say, Russia has it right when it comes to outlining the failed security at the Los Alamos National Laboratory.
Tuesday night at the Bowling Green City Commission meeting, Chief of Police Bill Waltrip presented a study outlining the need for 31 more police officers.
Jay Nixon is touring the state outlining the importance of the "Made in Missouri Jobs Package" a Bipartisan plan lawmakers will debate when the special session starts next week.
Tucson News NowBel Marra Health supports a medical report that outlines how an outdoor smoking ban is an ineffective means of preventing damage to non-smokers.
Community meetings set to outline construction activities.
McKiernan Outlines Challenges to Military Mission in Afghanistan.
Group Outlines Downtown Plans Including More Weekly Concerts.
The article outlines how "SOS" came into being and how it has been used during the last 100 years.
The proposed San Quintin municipality is outlined in purple at left.
Mulcair outlined the party's position on the future of Old Age Security.
Due to the arrival of another potentially difficult winter storm, Clallam Transit will continue into Wednesday the service plan (outlined below) which was announced earlier this morning.
A new Forrester report points to more emphasis on real-time data warehousing -- and outlines five ways to go about it.
You may think it's too soon, but the website Deadspin.com used Whitney Houston's death to outline the Stages of Internet Grief.
Commissioner Jim Delany outlined two major forces behind the Big Ten's expansion study in his meeting with reporters Tuesday.
To make the paper self-contained, the derivation of the paraxial approximation is outlined in Sect.
Paraxial propagation of a quantum charge in a random magnetic field
The calculations turn out to be very similar to those in Section V so that we only outline them.
Paraxial propagation of a quantum charge in a random magnetic field
From this formula and following the procedure outlined in the preceding paper , in Sec.
II. Territory covered by N random walkers on stochastic fractals. The percolation aggregate
We now apply the above outlined scheme to obtain some exact solutions.
Exact Inflationary Solutions from a Superpotential
In the last section we discuss the results and outline possible generalizations of the model.
A note on topological brane theories