IMPORTANT MEETING OF SMOKE MAKERS
- n meeting the act of joining together as one "the merging of the two groups occurred quickly","there was no meeting of minds"
- n meeting the social act of assembling for some common purpose "his meeting with the salesmen was the high point of his day"
- n meeting a casual or unexpected convergence "he still remembers their meeting in Paris","there was a brief encounter in the hallway"
- n meeting a formally arranged gathering "next year the meeting will be in Chicago","the meeting elected a chairperson"
- n meeting a small informal social gathering "there was an informal meeting in my living room"
- n meeting a place where things merge or flow together (especially rivers) "Pittsburgh is located at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers"
Additional illustrations & photos:
Little Red Riding-Hood meets the Wolf
THE MEETING OF ISAAC AND REBEKAH
Pinocchio Meets the Cat and the Fox
Meeting Between Charles Viii, and Anne of Brittany——282
GENZABURÔ'S MEETING WITH THE ETA MAIDEN
dingo and wolfhound meeting
Where Patrols Meet. The Half-Way Point
THE IRRESISTIBLE MEETS THE IMMOVABLE
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
People who meet their calcium need reduce their risk of developing kidney stones
- Meeting A coming together; an assembling; as, the meeting of Congress.
- Meeting A congregation; a collection of people; a convention; as, a large meeting; an harmonious meeting.
- Meeting A junction, crossing, or union; as, the meeting of the roads or of two rivers.
- Meeting An assembly for worship; as, to attend meeting on Sunday; -- in England, applied distinctively and disparagingly to the worshiping assemblies of Dissenters.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Including the 2000 World Series, there have been only three meetings between teams from the same city: 1906 (Cubs vs. White Sox), 1944 (Cardinals vs. Browns) and 2000 (Mets vs. Yankees).
- n meeting A coming together; an interview: as, a happy meeting of friends.
- n meeting An assembly; a congregation; a collection of people; a convention: as, a social, religious, or political meeting; the meeting adjourned till the next day: applied in the United States, especially in rural districts, to any assemblage for religious worship, and in England and Ireland to one of dissenters from the established church; specifically, an assembly of Friends for religious purposes: as, to go to meeting.
- n meeting A conflux, as of rivers; a confluence; a joining, as of lines; junction; union.
- n meeting A hostile encounter; a duel.
- n meeting plural In mining, the point in a mine-shaft where the ascending and descending cages meet. When the coal was raised in creels or corves the shaft was bulged at the meetings.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
It is Texas law that when two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.
- ns Meeting a coming face to face for friendly or hostile ends: an interview: an assembly: a crossing of two roads: a junction of two rivers
Both ends meet - If you make both ends meet, you live off the money you earn and don't go into debt.
Make ends meet - If somebody finds it hard to make ends meet, they have problems living on the money they earn.
Meet someone halfway - If you meet someone halfway, you accept some of their ideas and make concessions.
Meet your expectations - If something doesn't meet your expectations, it means that it wasn't as good as you had thought it was going to be; a disappointment.
Meet your Maker - If someone has gone to meet their Maker, they have died.
Meet your match - If you meet your match, you meet a person who is at least as good if not better than you are at something.
More than meets the eye - If there is more than meets the eye to something, it is more complex or difficult than it appears.
Where the rubber meets the road - (USA) Where the rubber meets the road is the most important point for something, the moment of truth. An athlete can train all day, but the race is where the rubber meets the road and they'll know how good they really are.
Well, I went down to the meeting that night, and saw them coming in with their Bibles with them.
"Moody's Anecdotes And Illustrations" by Dwight L. Moody
I felt very sad, and the meeting with Richard Clyde, which had excited a momentary joy, now deepened my sadness.
"Ernest Linwood" by Caroline Lee Hentz
She would be obliged to meet him, and she was not sure that she was ready to meet him.
"Jill the Reckless" by P. G. (Pelham Grenville) Wodehouse
The eight o'clock meeting was just closing and the preaching service was about to begin, when Joshua rode up to the little meeting-house.
"The Kentucky Ranger" by Edward T. Curnick
Death was coming forward to meet him, coming very near; standing upon the very threshold!
"The Fortunes of the Farrells" by Mrs. George de Horne Vaizey
Miss Du Prel was taken to see the scene of the tragedy, and the meeting-room of the Preposterous Society.
"The Daughters of Danaus" by Mona Caird
Oh, Molly, how you differ from most girls one meets.
"Molly Bawn" by Margaret Wolfe Hamilton
The other meetings of the year were either business meetings or study councils.
"The Menorah Journal, Volume 1, 1915" by Various
Let us meet public opinion, and hope the progress of sentiment will make future arrangements.
"A Political History of the State of New York, Volumes 1-3" by DeAlva Stanwood Alexander
In the early meeting-houses men and women sat on separate sides of the meeting-house, as in Quaker meetings till our own time.
"Home Life in Colonial Days" by Alice Morse Earle
We shall meet--
Where the wings of angels beat:
When my toils and cares are over,
Thou shalt greet again thy lover--
Robed and crowned at Jesus' feet
We shall meet.
"Isabel" by Hanford Lennox Gordon
Tyrant! thou hast bereft me
Home, friends, pleasures so sweet;
Now, forever I've left thee,
Thou and I never shall meet;
No, no—oh, no!
Thou and I never shall meet.
"Fugitive's Triumph" by Anonymous Americas
Sprung of the father blood, the mother brain,
Are they who point our pathway and sustain.
They rarely meet; one soars, one walks retired.
When they do meet, it is our earth inspired.
"Foresight And Patience" by George Meredith
For an instant it will die away, that 'When? When?'
forever pulsing in you in your penal plight,
and we shall meet there on that bridge in heaven,
face to face we'll meet, this Christmas night.
"Christmas Greetings 1941" by Marie Under
On the seashore of endless worlds children meet.
The infinite sky is motionless overhead
And the restless water is boisterous.
On the seashore of endless worlds
The children meet with shouts and dances.
"On The Seashore" by Rabindranath Tagore
We lift our foreheads from the dust;
And as we meet thy brow's clear calm,
There falls a freshening sense of balm
Upon our spirits. Fear—distrust—
The hopeless present on us thrust—
We'll meet them as we can, and must.
"Acceptation" by Margaret Junkin Preston
After meeting the wife of Major Pete Cruz in his meet-and-greet line, patriotic Toby Keith brought the young lady to the stage at his Sept 8 show in Houston.
A few years ago, she was working in the meeting-planning department at American Express, handling big meetings and big budgets for Johnson & Johnson Co.
In an email, Tusk has more to say about the meetings those meetings.
EAST LIVERPOOL — Comments made at Monday night's school board meeting about the city police department raised the ire of Chief John Lane, who responded Tuesday to a newspaper account of the meeting.
Comments made at Monday night's school board meeting about the city police department raised the ire of Chief John Lane, who responded Tuesday to a newspaper account of the meeting.
Last season, the Bears found themselves on the losing end of each meet and this season was headed in the same direction until Thursday, as these four meets were packed in as the opening four meets of Ursuline 's season.
LOS ANGELES — Girl-meets-boy stories are not the usual stuff of Hollywood blockbusters, even when it's girl-meets-vampire.
Iowa Gov Terry Branstad speaks during the Health and Human Services Committee panel meeting at the National Governors Association's winter meetings in Washington Sunday, Feb 26, 2012.
The meeting is 4 to 7 pm Saturday, Nov 12 at the Unitarian Universalist meeting hall on Highway 525 north of Freeland.
Wind could meet world power needs by 2030 Stanford, Delaware climate model show there's plenty of wind to meet energy demand.
Neder finished first in the 1-meter and 3-meter events in a meet against Westminster, while Wade also won the 1-meter and 3-meter events at the same meet.
So it was last weekend, when we were to meet with our friends Ron and Vickie for one of the getaways that we call our board meetings.
I had PTA meetings and carpools to drive, a meeting on fundraising for Children's Hospital.
Meetings are the fourth Tuesday of every month at the Pandora School at 7:30 pm There are no meetings in June through August or December.
No wonder then, that the meeting room for the workshop on physician burnout was packed at the APA annual meeting.
One can move L0 (or L1 ) slightly so that it does not meet Dγ .
Sextactic points on a simple closed curve
Notice that L1 is tangent to C in σ (1), but does not meet it otherwise.
Sextactic points on a simple closed curve
If the rotation is suﬃciently small, the curve ˆγ does not meet ˆC .
Sextactic points on a simple closed curve
Operational procedure: For two party protocol, the problem of Vernam ciper (popularly called one time pad) is that two users have to meet at regular interval to exchange the key material.
A simple unbreakable code
Thus to meet the above constraints all the lengths of the strip which correspond to ai ’s will have to be vertical.
When Can You Fold a Map?