"He loaded the children with cherry branches."
- n loading the labor of putting a load of something on or in a vehicle or ship or container etc. "the loading took 2 hours"
- n loading goods carried by a large vehicle
- n loading weight to be borne or conveyed
- n loading a quantity that can be processed or transported at one time "the system broke down under excessive loads"
- n loading the ratio of the gross weight of an airplane to some factor determining its lift
Additional illustrations & photos:
"The men set to work to load their muskets."
Loading a Sled from a Skidway
A Load of Logs. Flathead County, Montana
Load upon. Wichita
Si's Load Begins to Get Heavy 023
The Boys Had a Full Load
A TRANSPORT LOADING
Car Loaded with Lumber on its Edges by the Automatic Stacker
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
The term "the whole 9 yards" came from WWII fighter pilots in thePacific. When arming their airplanes on the ground, the .50 calibermachine gunammo belts measured exactly 27 feet, before being loaded into thefuselage. If the pilots fired all their ammo at a target, it got "the whole 9yards."
- Loading A load; cargo; burden.
- Loading The act of putting a load on or into.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Washing machines use anywhere from 40 to 200 litres of water per load
- n loading The act of putting on a load.
- n loading A cargo; a burden; lading; also, anything that makes part of a load.
- n loading Anything that is added to a substance or material in order to give it weight or body: as, the China clay or pearl-white used for loading note-paper.
- n loading In art, a heavy charge of opaque color. See load, transitive verb, 7.
- n loading In insurance, that part of the charge or premium on a policy which constitutes its share of the expenses of management.
- loading Made so as to be loaded (in the way specified): as, a breech-loading or a muzzle-loading gun.
- n loading The process of filling silk with metallic compounds, for which it has a great attraction when in solution, in order to increase its weight.
- n loading In electricity, a method invented by M. J. Pupin, of reducing the attenuation of telephonic currents in underground cables and long-distance lines (and therefore improving the operation). It consists in inserting into the telephone-line at certain definite intervals self-induction coils, which neutralize the deleterious effect of the electrostatic capacity of the line.
- n loading The exorbitant profit exacted from workmen under the truck system (which see, under truck).
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
caliber machine gun ammo belts measured exactly 27 feet, before being loaded into the fuselage. If the pilots fired all their ammo at a
- Loading the act of lading: a charge, cargo, or lading
He is carrying one of your loads.
"In the Forbidden Land" by Arnold Henry Savage Landor
Then the saddle allowed the loads to hang much too low on the sides of the animal's body.
"Across Unknown South America" by Arnold Henry Savage Landor
The next day a native with a fast team and an empty toboggan was sent down to take our load on to the cabin and bring the dogs back.
"Ten Thousand Miles with a Dog Sled" by Hudson Stuck
Jerry said he would try the next time; so I loaded, and he took the gun.
"A Voyage round the World" by W.H.G. Kingston
Indians, when thus loaded, never walk: they seem to glide along on a swinging trot that carries them over the ground very rapidly.
"On the Indian Trail" by Egerton Ryerson Young
I loaded my gun and fired; I killed none.
"The Hunters' Feast" by Mayne Reid
Two or three had passed before he had again loaded.
"In the Wilds of Africa" by W.H.G. Kingston
As the reeds weighed but little, the loads were considerably lightened.
"Adventures in Africa" by W.H.G. Kingston
They knocked over one after the other, till each man was well loaded.
"Taking Tales" by W.H.G. Kingston
As soon as the war closed and peace was declared, Girard loaded his two ships with grain and cotton and dispatched them to Bordeaux.
"Little Journeys to the Homes of the Great, Volume 11 (of 14)" by Elbert Hubbard
We bless the Lord, the just, the good,
Who fills our hearts with joy and food:
Who pours his blessings from the skies,
And loads our days with rich supplies.
"Psalm 68 part 3" by Isaac Watts
Oh, bitter was the secret shame
He hid beneath his load,
My sunshine Bet is far away
Upon the gypsies' road.
My pretty Bet has strayed away
Upon the winding road.
"The Six Sorrows" by Dora Sigerson Shorter
Judge Sawyer, whom in vain the people tried
To push from power, here is laid aside.
Death only from the bench could ever start
The sluggish load of his immortal part.
"A Wreath Of Immortelles" by Ambrose Bierce
And as for all the harm, that like a burden,
You laid on me, a heavy load of pain -
It's part of me and I can deal with it.
The scars remain indeed - but not in vain.
""I cannot write a single line of verse..."" by Konstantin Simonov
Never say—-as something bodes—-
``So, the worst has yet a worse!
``When life halts 'neath double loads,
``Better the taskmaster's curse
``Than such music on the roads!
"A Serenade At The Villa" by Robert Browning
Servant of all his powers, that faithful slave,
Unsleeping Memory, strengthening with his toils,
To every ruder task his shoulder gave,
And loaded every day with golden spoils.
"Edward Everett" by Oliver Wendell Holmes
The Eau Claire County Board passed a new ordinance that keeps people who carry loaded guns in county parks from firing at will .
Between the loss of their drummer Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan and the success of the album 'Nightmare', Avenged Sevenfold has had a loaded couple of years.
A B-52 bomber mistakenly loaded with six nuclear warheads flew from Minot Air Force Base, N.D.
Alicia Ross has a recipe for some loaded baked potato soup that's sure to warm you up in our Kitchen Scoop.
Kettle's Fully Loaded Baked Potato Chips.
Loading up on calcium won't eliminate osteoporosis risk, study says.
You need to know the load rating of the trailer and the weight of the equipment you're moving in order to properly secure your load.
Two people were arrested after San Bernardino County probation officers say they discovered a loaded Uzi submachine gun, loaded shotgun and methamphetamine in a Rialto house.
A discussion on why the two wattmeter method works on a three-phase, three-wire load regardless of how the load is internally connected.
Describe the use of a notched alignment fixture to align the top and bottom loading fixtures in the load train.
I've accessed the wireless website, but I'm having problems, such as pages not loading, or loading slowly.
Olympia's new Hands On Children's Museum on East Bay is getting its missing ingredient this weekend: loads and loads of children.
If the PDF fails to load, click on the "Full Screen Mode" button to try to force it to load.
Once loaded into the carousel, the Vault can load all of those discs automatically, at the touch of a button.
I recently parked in a truck loading zone to load boxes and I got a ticket.
Second, it allows to reduce the impact of communication overhead onto the network load by scheduling the RS generation process in periods of low network load (e.g., at night or week-end).
Reduce to the Max: A Simple Approach for Massive-Scale Privacy-Preserving Collaborative Network Measurements (Extended Version)
Scalability - the load of entity should not grow to an unmanageable size, the load should be distributed and shared.
Thin Client Web-Based Campus Information Systems for Fiji National University
While per-ﬂow scheduling is feasible for loads up to around 90% (see results of Section 3.3 below), the number of ﬂows will increase unboundedly if load should approach or exceed 100% of wavelength capacity.
A Flow-aware MAC Protocol for a Passive Optical Metropolitan Area Network
Overall load is ρ = (cid:80) ρi . where ρi is the channel load equal to the product of ﬂow arrival rate (ﬂows/sec) and mean ﬂow size (bits) divided by C .
A Flow-aware MAC Protocol for a Passive Optical Metropolitan Area Network
The applied static load is measured by a calibrated load cell placed between the spring and the steel cube.
Defect Modes in One-Dimensional Granular Crystals