- n leatherjacket tough-skinned larva of certain crane flies
- n leatherjacket any of several New World tropical fishes having tiny embedded scales
- n leatherjacket any of several brightly colored tropical filefishes
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n leatherjacket One of several fishes A balistoid fish, Balistes capriscus, having three dorsal spines, a uniform brownish color on the trunk, the second dorsal and the anal fin checkered with interrupted longitudinal brown lines, and the caudal fin mottled. It occurs along the Gulf coast of the United States, as well as in the Mediterranean and other warm seas. See cut under Balistes.
- n leatherjacket In botany, same as hickory-eucalyptus.
- n leatherjacket In botany: In Australia, any one of several other trees, so called from the toughness of their bark; especially the cooper's-wood, Alphitonia excelsa, the coach-wood, Ceratopetalum apetalum, Cryptocarya Meissneri of the laurel family, and Weinmannia rubifolia of the family Cunoniaceæ.
- n leatherjacket The larva of any one of several species of crane-flies of the family Tipulidæ. It lives underground in pasture-lands and has an especially tough skin.
- n leatherjacket In Australia, a thin pancake made of flour and water.