- n horsefish any of several silvery marine fishes with very flat bodies
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- n Horsefish (Zoöl) The moonfish (Selene setipinnis).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n horsefish A fish of the family Carangidæ, Vomer setipinnis, having a much-compressed oblong body, a head high and angulated far above the eyes, a smooth silvery skin, and low dorsal and anal fins. It inhabits the warm parts of the Atlantic. Also called moonfish, dollar-fish, and blunt-nosed shiner.
- n horsefish A carangoid fish, Selene vomer, closely resembling the foregoing, and known by the same names. See cut under horsehead.
- n horsefish The sauger, Stizostedion canadense.
- n horsefish A sea-horse, as Hippocampus hudsonius.