Hear, heard. Apache
- v hear get to know or become aware of, usually accidentally "I learned that she has two grown-up children","I see that you have been promoted"
- v hear receive a communication from someone "We heard nothing from our son for five years"
- v hear perceive (sound) via the auditory sense
- v hear listen and pay attention "Listen to your father","We must hear the expert before we make a decision"
- v hear examine or hear (evidence or a case) by judicial process "The jury had heard all the evidence","The case will be tried in California"
Additional illustrations & photos:
Hear, heard. Dakota
Pedestrian. I hear Brown has taken to cycling
Not one word did I hear about the Goverment that wuz in partnership with that man
ALL WAS SO QUIET THAT HE COULD HEAR EVERY BREATH HE DREW
I Hear the Enemy, Let Us Rally--1-43-088
Did you hear that one, Bill?
WOOD THRUSH HEARS CLICK OF CAMERA
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Men can read smaller print than women; women can hear better
- Hear To accede to the demand or wishes of; to listen to and answer favorably; to favor. "I love the Lord, because he hath heard my voice.""They think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."
- Hear To attend, or be present at, as hearer or worshiper; as, to hear a concert; to hear Mass.
- Hear To be informed by oral communication; to be told; to receive information by report or by letter. "I have heard , sir, of such a man.""I must hear from thee every day in the hour.""Hear him , . . . a cry indicative, according to the tone, of admiration, acquiescence, indignation, or derision."
- Hear To give attention to as a teacher or judge. "Thy matters are good and right, but there is no man deputed of the king to hear thee.""I beseech your honor to hear me one single word."
- Hear To give audience or attention to; to listen to; to heed; to accept the doctrines or advice of; to obey; to examine; to try in a judicial court; as, to hear a recitation; to hear a class; the case will be heard to-morrow.
- Hear To have the sense or faculty of perceiving sound. "The hearing ear."
- Hear To perceive by the ear; to apprehend or take cognizance of by the ear; as, to hear sounds; to hear a voice; to hear one call.
"Lay thine ear close to the ground, and list if thou canst hear the tread of travelers.""He had been heard to utter an ominous growl."
- Hear To use the power of perceiving sound; to perceive or apprehend by the ear; to attend; to listen. "So spake our mother Eve, and Adam heard ,
Well pleased, but answered not."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Most people hear better out of their right ear.
- hear To perceive by the ear; receive an impression of through the auditory sense; take cognizance of by harkening.
- hear To pay regard to by listening; give ear to; give audience to; mark and consider what is said by; listen to for the purpose of learning, awarding, judging, determining, etc.: as, to hear prayer; to hear a lesson or an argument; to hear an advocate or a cause, as a judge.
- hear To listen to understandingly; learn or comprehend by harkening; hence, to learn by verbal statement or report.
- hear To be a hearer of; attend usually the ministrations of: as, what minister do you hear?
- hear To be called.
- hear To possess the sense of hearing; have that form of sense-perception which is dependent on the ear.
- hear To listen; harken; give heed.
- hear To be told; learn by report: as, so I hear.
- hear To be heard, or heard of; be reported.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
The katydid bug hears through holes in its hind legs.
- v.t Hear hēr to perceive by the ear: to comprehend: to listen to: to grant or obey: to answer favourably: to attend to: to try judicially: to be a hearer of:
- v.i Hear to have the sense of hearing: to listen: to be told:—pr.p. hear′ing; pa.t. and pa.p. heard (hėrd)
- adj Hear of or pertaining to a report given by others
- v.i Hear to repeat rumours
- v.t Hear hēr (Milt.) to be called
Every ass likes to hear himself bray - This means that people like the sound of their own voice.
Hard of hearing - Someone who's hard of hearing is a bit deaf.
Hear a pin drop - If there is complete silence in a room, you can hear a pin drop.
Hear on the grapevine - To receive information indirectly through a series of third parties, similar to a rumour.
Hear something on the grapevine - If you hear something on the grapevine, you are informed about something by someone, circulating information or gossip from one person to another informally. ('Hear it through the grapevine' is also used.)
Hear something on the jungle telegraph - (UK) If you hear something on the jungle telegraph, you pick up some information or informal gossip from someone who shares some common interest. ('Bush telegraph' is also used.)
Long time no hear - The speaker could say this when they have not heard from a person, either through phone calls or emails for a long time.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
OE. heren, AS,. hiéran, hȳran, hēran,; akin to OS. hōrian, OFries. hera, hora, D. hooren, OHG. hōren, G. hören, Icel. heyra, Sw. höra, Dan. hore, Goth. hausjan, and perh. to Gr. 'akoy`ein, E. acoustic,. Cf. Hark Hearken
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
A.S. hýran; Dut. hooren, Ice. heyra, Ger. hören, Goth. hausjan.
I am of that superior race of men, that are quite content to hear themselves talk, and read their own writing.
"Letters of Edward FitzGerald in two volumes, Vol. 1" by Edward FitzGerald
Carlyle is not so up to work as of old (I hear).
"Letters of Edward FitzGerald in Two Volumes Vol. II" by Edward FitzGerald
I hear the knock, he hear me answer.
"Slave Narratives, Oklahoma" by Various
Not that I cared for the gibe; but because I disliked that one there should hear me called by so graceless a name.
"Sir Ludar" by Talbot Baines Reed
As to hearing of him, however, I soon found that in one sense I was likely to hear a good deal of him, now he was gone from Beadle Square.
"My Friend Smith" by Talbot Baines Reed
Yes, mam, de overseer would hear you hollerin or else he would hear de dog barkin at you up de tree.
"Slave Narratives Vol. XIV. South Carolina, Part 2" by Works Projects Administration
If there are men and women from the quarter on the porch, tell them to come closer, so that all may hear.
"The Long Roll" by Mary Johnston
What language do I hear?
"The Comedies of Terence" by Publius Terentius Afer, (AKA) Terence
A moment's hearing; you shall be inform'd, What I request, and what you wish to know.
"The Comedies of Terence" by Publius Terentius Afer
It comes from his hearing a sound, or fancying he hears one.
"The Death Shot" by Mayne Reid
I cannot sing the old songs
I sang long years ago,
But I can always hear them
At any vodevil show.
"The Ancient Lays" by Franklin Pierce Adams
Sister spirit, listen!
Methinks I hear a song,
Resounding strangely, sadly,
These peaceful plains along.
"Joy in Heaven" by Henry Clay Work
They see what is unseen,
And hear what is unheard,
And To-morrow's shade or sheen
Rests on the poet's word.
""To-Morrows"" by Abram Joseph Ryan
Then shall I hear the sentence,
"You did it not to me,"
Come from the sacred Teacher
Who taught in Gallilee.
"The Future" by Jared Barhite
'Ye lie, ye lie, ye liar loud!
Sae loud I hear ye lie:
For Percy had not men yestreen
To dight my men and me.
"The Battle Of Otterburn" by Anonymous British
"I like to hear the wheel
Make such a rushing sound,
And see the pretty water
Go round, and round, and round.
"Willy and His Sister" by Kate Greenaway
The Avada Hearing Care Center in Goldsboro is inviting Wayne County residents to submit the names of people in the area who are in need of a hearing aid but unable to afford one.
Black Diamond hearing examiner denies Maple Valley's request concerning The Villages and Lawson Hills appeal hearing.
Hearing Date, Names Hearing Officer of 'Bank' Case.
Without his hearing aids, Coleman can only hear sounds and tones.
Her art shows her story and struggle with coming to terms with being a hearing-impaired individual in a hearing world.
I'm severely hearing impaired and wear hearing aids in both ears.
The Aberdeen Parks and Recreation Department held a public hearing Thursday to hear input about potential recreational activities on a 32-acre parcel of land recently acquired at Ray's Mill Pond .
Last summer's hearings in the Senate Judiciary Committee on the nomination of now-Justice Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court were, as such hearings (unfortunately) now tend to be, unenlightening.
When you hear Jason Aldean is appearing in a Mt Dew commercial, you would expect to hear him singing.
The University of Michigan School of Nursing study found significant differences between measured and perceived hearing loss, and suggests health care providers need better methods of testing and protecting hearing among factory workers.
Effective June 15, 2012 In accordance with MCR 9.115(H)(2), the hearing panel determined that respondent's claim of physical incapacity as the reason for her inability to appear at a hearing scheduled for.
I am curious to hear about your experiences: Do you hear people using the words " retard " and " retarded ".
"You're not going to hear that from her but you will hear it from the rest of us," added Leverenz.
You can park yourself at a concert all afternoon and evening this Sunday, and hear music one almost never hears.
Hear ye Hear ye, the holiday season has arrived.
At this conference we have begun to hear results from the systematic survey with the Parkes Telescope multibeam system (Webster et al., proceedings; Waugh et al., proceedings; Drinkwater et al., proceedings; also Arecibo dual-beam: Rosenberg & Schneider and Schneider & Rosenberg, proceedings).
Conference Summary: Mapping the Hidden Universe
To quote Wittgenstein regarding music, as early as Brahms ‘I can begin to hear the sound of machinery.’ .
MESON2000 Conference Summary
In particular it had been suggested that the σ – the scalar ππ resonance we have been hearing a lot of at this meeting – plays a signiﬁcant role here .
Heavy Flavour Physics: On Its More Than 50 Years Of History, Its Future And The Rio Manifesto
One frequently hears that photon-pairs have also the advantage of avoiding multi-photon pulses, but this is not correct.
It was exciting to hear the various talks presented here.
Pentaquarks: Theory overview, and some more about quark models