SobkÛ, the God of The FayÛm, Under The Form Of A Sacred Crocodile
- n god a material effigy that is worshipped "thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image","money was his god"
- n god any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force
- n God the supernatural being conceived as the perfect and omnipotent and omniscient originator and ruler of the universe; the object of worship in monotheistic religions
- n god a man of such superior qualities that he seems like a deity to other people "he was a god among men"
Additional illustrations & photos:
The God Knuphis. Egyptian
God Save the King 119
HEZEKIAH LAYING THE LETTER BEFORE GOD
Worship of the Sun-God at Sippara
THE GROVES WERE GOD'S FIRST TEMPLES
From a painting by Fernand Lungren The Home of the "Red Gods"
The Happiness of the Godly
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
The Olympics were originally held for the Greek god Zeus
- God A being conceived of as possessing supernatural power, and to be propitiated by sacrifice, worship, etc.; a divinity; a deity; an object of worship; an idol. "He maketh a god , and worshipeth it.""The race of Israel . . . bowing lowly down
To bestial gods ."
- God A person or thing deified and honored as the chief good; an object of supreme regard. "Whose god is their belly."
- God Figuratively applied to one who wields great or despotic power.
- a. & n God Good.
- God The Supreme Being; the eternal and infinite Spirit, the Creator, and the Sovereign of the universe; Jehovah. "God is a Spirit; and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."
- v. t God To treat as a god; to idolize.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
God is not mentioned once in the book of Esther.
- n God [capitalized] The one Supreme or Absolute Being. The conceptions of God are various, differing widely in different systems of religion and metaphysics; but they fall, in general, under two heads: theism, which is most fully developed in Christianity, and in which God is regarded as a personal moral being, distinct from the universe, of which he is the author and ruler; and pantheism, in which God is conceived as not personal, and as identified with the universe. See theism, pantheism.
- n God In mythology, a being regarded as superior to nature, or as presiding over some department of it; a superior intelligence supposed to possess supernatural or divine powers and attributes, either general or special, and considered worthy of worship or other religious service; a divinity; a deity: as, the gods of the heathen; the god of the thunder or of riches; the sun-god; a fish-god.
- n God Figuratively, a person or thing that is made an object of extreme devotion or sought after above all other things; any object of supreme interest or admiration.
- n God An image of a deity; an idol.
- n God One of the audience in the upper gallery of a theater: so called from the elevated position, in allusion to the gods of Olympus.
- n God God be thanked; thank God.
- n God Easter Sunday.
- n God Corpus Christi day.
- God To deify.
- n God A Middle English form of good.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
In India, where hinduism is the biggest religon, they belive that there are about 300 million different gods. Because almost every village has it's own local god.
- n God god the Supreme Being: the Creator and Preserver of the world: an object of worship, an idol:
- v.t God (Shak.) to deify
- n God god (B.) a ruler
Act of God - An act of God is something like an earthquake or floods that human beings cannot prevent or control.
Dry as a wooden god - (AU) Very dry area or very thirsty: That desert is as dry as a wooden god.
From your lips to God's ears - When you say this to someone, it means that you hope what they are saying will come true.
Lap of the gods - If something is in the lap of the gods, it is beyond our control and fate will decide the outcome.
Man Of God - A man of God is a clergyman.
Man proposes, God disposes - Your fate lies in the hands of God.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
AS. god,; akin to OS. & D. god, OHG. got, G. gott, Icel. guð, goð, Sw. & Dan. gud, Goth. gup, prob. orig. a p. p. from a root appearing in Skr. hū, p. p. hūta, to call upon, invoke, implore. √30. Cf. Goodbye Gospel Gossip
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
A.S. god; Ger. gott, Goth. guth, Dut. god; all from a Teut. root gutha, God, and quite distinct from good.
He uses it only of God and of those who enjoy the vision of God.
"St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans, Vol. I" by Charles Gore
No: God's word, God's promise, has not broken down.
"St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans, Vol. II" by Charles Gore
He that is of God heareth the words of God: for this cause ye hear them not, because ye are not of God.
"The Bible Story" by Rev. Newton Marshall Hall
It is God who conquered, God who delivered, God who punished, God who fought.
"Some Essentials of Religion" by J. C. Roper
For God has spoken unto us in a Son, Who has been made higher than the heavens, and is as great as God.
"The Expositor's Bible: The Epistle to the Hebrews" by Thomas Charles Edwards
I contend that God's children are alone able to hinder God's work.
"To The Work! To The Work!" by Dwight Moody
For He whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him.
"The Overcoming Life" by Dwight Moody
Life with God, and in God, must be immortal; life without God He does not call life at all.
"The Expositor's Bible: The Gospel of St. John, Vol. I" by Marcus Dods
Hope thou in God; for I shall yet praise Him who is the health of my countenance and my God.
"The Expositor's Bible: The Gospel of St John, Vol. II" by Marcus Dods
Their sin was not that they renounced God altogether, but that they wanted to worship other gods beside Him.
"Weighed and Wanting" by Dwight Moody
The God we worship now
Will guide us till we die,
Will be our God while here below,
And ours above the sky.
"Psalm 48 part 2" by Isaac Watts
My God, my God, all life is there,
Simple and sweet;
The soothing bee-hive murmur there
Comes from the street!
"The Sky-Blue Smiles Above The Roof" by Paul Verlaine
Sing to the Lord aloud,
And make a joyful noise;
God is our strength, our Savior God;
Let Isr'el hear his voice.
"Psalm 81" by Isaac Watts
The Holy Lamb of God, also,
Who for our sakes did die,
The holy ones of God shall know,
And that most perfectly.
"Of Heaven" by John Bunyan
And will the God of grace
Perpetual silence keep?
The God of justice hold his peace,
And let his vengeance sleep?
"Psalm 83" by Isaac Watts
O God of mercy, God of might,
In love and pity infinite,
Teach us, as ever in Thy sight,
To live our life to Thee.
"O God of Mercy, God of Might" by Godfrey Thring
My first name, Jeffrey, supposedly means "Lamb of God" or "God's Peace" according to coffee mugs I've seen in novelty stores.
God of snowstorms, god of potholes, every wretched road you've trod, coach-inns, cockroach haunts and rat holes, that's him, that's your Russian god.
Kentuckians putting trust in God, God unlikely to reciprocate edition.
The character of God has become increasingly human and secular in comedies such as Oh, God.
It doesn't interest me if there is one God or many gods.
Newdow told the court that the words "under God" are unconstitutional and offensive to people who don't believe in God.
For the Sufi the relationship to God is that of lover and Beloved, and Sufis are also known as lovers of God.
God is the God of love , thank goodness.
If God is love, then can God hate.
Fat Cat Big Band Meditations on the War for Whose Great God Is the Most High You Are God Angels Praying for Freedom Smalls.
William Hamilton, a theologian who declared nearly a half century ago that God was dormant if not dead, was remembered at his death for the media impact made by the "death of God movement.".
If God is everywhere at all times, then we are not really "summoning" God when we pray.
The Spirit of the triune God is and will always be the life force of the world and all that is good and hopeful in it, which includes the hunger for God.
Attend to the ordinances of the God or, as it has been updated, stay in love with God.
The best argument for believing in God is the central argument of the Scriptures – God's love, especially God's love as spoken about in the New Testament.
Valya repeated, more than once, that Gell-Mann had a direct line to god — Gell-Mann’s revelations ought to be taken seriously.
$k$ Strings from Various Perspectives: QCD, Lattices, String Theory and Toy Models
The tone of the argument is overtly prophetic, as if in the name of a strange religion without God.
The Latest on the Sokal Affair: Beyond Three Extremisms
Your attempt is noble, Maybe the Gods of Olympus will smile on you one day.
Comment on a Paper by Yucai Su On Jacobian Conjecture (Dec 30, 2005
D(z) the linear structure growth, and b(k, z) the biasing parameter (Kaiser 1987). (2) In the non-linear regime, velocity dispersion of galaxies in (partially) virialized structures cause the well-known ‘ ﬁngers of God’ effect in redshift space.
Probing Dark Energy with Baryonic Acoustic Oscillations at High Redshifts
God” effect), due to the fact that superclusters are not virialized systems.
A potentially pure test of cosmic geometry: galaxy clusters and the real space Alcock-Paczynski test