Statue of Amten, Found in his Tomb
- adj found come upon unexpectedly or after searching "found art","the lost-and-found department"
- v found use as a basis for; found on "base a claim on some observation"
- v found set up or lay the groundwork for "establish a new department"
- v found set up or found "She set up a literacy program"
- n found food and lodging provided in addition to money "they worked for $30 and found"
Additional illustrations & photos:
SCALES FOUND AT POMPEII
GOLD BREASTPINS FOUND AT POMPEII
A LABORATORY, AS FOUND IN POMPEII
TOILET ARTICLES FOUND AT POMPEII
FOUND AT HILDESHEIM
FOUND IN THE PALACE OF PRIAM
LAMPS FOUND AT TROY
LANCES FOUND AT PALACE OF PRIAM, TROY
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Moscow was founded in 1147 by Yury Dolgoruky
imp. & p. p. of Find.
- n Found A thin, single-cut file for combmakers.
- v. t Found To form by melting a metal, and pouring it into a mold; to cast. "Whereof to found their engines."
- Found To lay the basis of; to set, or place, as on something solid, for support; to ground; to establish upon a basis, literal or figurative; to fix firmly. "I had else been perfect,
Whole as the marble, founded as the rock.""A man that all his time
Hath founded his good fortunes on your love.""It fell not, for it was founded on a rock."
- Found To take the ffirst steps or measures in erecting or building up; to furnish the materials for beginning; to begin to raise; to originate; as, to found a college; to found a family.
"There they shall found Their government, and their great senate choose."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Pearls are rarely found in North American oysters
- n found Preterit and past participle of find.
- found To lay the basis of; fix, set, or place, as on something solid; ground; base; establish on a basis, physical or moral.
- found To take the first steps or measures in erecting or building up; begin to raise; make a beginning of; originate by active means: as, to found a city or an empire.
- found To make provision for the establishment of; originate by gift, grant, or endowment: as, to found an institution or a professorship by bequest.
- found To base one's opinion; rely: followed by on or upon: as, I found upon the evidence of my senses.
- found To east; form into shape by casting in a mold, as metal or a metallic article.
- n found The operation of casting metal, etc.; the melting of metal or of the materials for glass, etc.
- n found A three-sided, single-cut file, used in making combs.
- found To hasten; go (to get or seek something); strive.
- found A dialectal variant of fond, fand.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Penguins are not found in the North Pole
- pa.t., pa.p Found of find
- v.t Found fownd to lay the bottom or foundation of: to establish on a basis: to originate: to endow
- v.i Found to rely
- v.t Found fownd to form by melting and pouring into a mould: to cast
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
F. fonder, L. fundare, fr. fundus, bottom. See 1st Bottom, and cf. Founder (v. i.) Fund
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Fr. fondre—L. fundĕre, fusum, to pour.
Walked through the fruit market, found it well supplied, then the fish, found many all alive alivo.
"A Journey to America in 1834" by Robert Heywood
With this movement of opinion Robert had very soon found himself in close and sympathetic contact.
"Robert Elsmere" by Mrs. Humphry Ward
Daniel had found what he had been looking for: he had found the mournful melody that had driven him away the day Eleanore died.
"The Goose Man" by Jacob Wassermann
It seems that my adopted father had at length found out where she was, found out, too, that she had been the victim of a villain.
"The Day of Judgment" by Joseph Hocking
An interesting example of such a story may be found among the tales dealing with the Wise Men of Gotham.
"Children's Literature" by Charles Madison Curry
There are found the valuable beaver and the wolverene that preys upon it.
"Popular Adventure Tales" by Mayne Reid
Beyond Tornea they found only uninhabited regions.
"Celebrated Travels and Travellers" by Jules Verne
He found, as he had found before, that a great part of his work could be done more comfortably at home.
"The Creators" by May Sinclair
In a very few days Arthur found himself going into society with quite a gay heart.
"The Bertrams" by Anthony Trollope
It was found that since the redemption of specie payments no less than 17,885 forged notes had been presented.
"A History of the Nineteenth Century, Year by Year" by Edwin Emerson
Groom and jade
Whom I found here, moulder;
Strange the tavern-holder,
Strange the tap-maid.
"St Launce's Revisited" by Thomas Hardy
Reached a gloomy hollow,
Found a trail to trace
Down the woodland pathway
To the watering-place.
"Fairy Tale" by Boris Pasternak
In the wonders all around
Ever is Thy Spirit found,
And of each good thing we see
All the good is born of Thee!
"The Hymn For All Nations: 1851. (Translated Into Thirty Languages)" by Martin Farquhar Tupper
I wonder if he found it,
And knows the mystery now--
Our Sandy Star who went away,
With the secret on his brow.
"Sandy Star And Willie Gee" by William Stanley Braithwaite
But there was one that found me,
That wept to see me weep,
And had his arm around me,
And gave me words to keep.
"The Trusting Heart" by Dorothy Parker
For as a watch by art is wound
To motion, such was mine:
But never had Orinda found
A soul till she found thine;
"To My Excellent Lucasia, On Our Friendship" by Katherine Philips
FOUND WEAPON, WESTGATE: A manager at a fast-food restaurant reported to police Nov 14 a loaded.40-caliber Ruger was found in a restroom.
So as soon as he found out from Mike that he was heading to Arlington, Brad found some plane tickets.
She founded the company in a garage and -- as a woman and one of the first pioneers of biotechnology in India -- found it difficult to obtain both staff and funding.
Hodge's body was found at around 9 am Wednesday morning in the water in an area near where his boat was found earlier.
Like Ryan Seacrest, who found himself coated in the "ashes" of Kim Jong Il at the Oscars, Kim Kardashian unexpectedly found herself covered in a white powder while working a red carpet Thursday.
Man found near murder scene found guilty on weapons possession charge .
So far no evidence of the Chalara fraxinea fungus has been found, but it has been found in the Irish Republic and in several sites in Great Britain.
0The fiancée of a woman found murdered on Monday left a chilling Facebook status professing his love for the victim just an hour before her body was found.
I found it ironic that I was walking to the House of Shields one afternoon when I found myself bombarded with people in bright pink T-shirts from Planned Parenthood.
The baby was found wrapped inside a home on Grand Vista Way Tuesday and the mother was no where to be found.
FOUND Magazine creator and This American Life contributor Davy Rothbart joins us to talk about 10 years of FOUND and his new collection of essays, "My Heart Is An Idiot".
"No evidence of foul play" was found at separate scenes where two men were found dead over the weekend, according to the Anchorage Police Department.
Police say officers arriving on the scene found the minivan on the west side of the road on its top, and Okali's body was found inside the van.
Police in Escondido say they have found no clues after draining a pond in the search for missing teen Amber Dubois after a woman reported her children found what looked like human hair in a park.
DRUGS FOUND, WEST 229 STREET: A resident reported to police that he found a small bag of marijuana and a pair of sunglasses in his driveway the morning of Oct 30.
The models of a well-founded deﬁnition coincides with the well-founded semantics of the models of the completion of the deﬁnition.
Hence, the clusters found in the starburst galaxies appear to be similar to the clusters found in merging galaxies.
The Formation of Star Clusters
The solutions we found were of two types: (i) the ﬁt is the same as that in the simpler ﬁt of Eq. (16) (i.e. ω is essentially zero and α/ν and the other parameters are the the same as found in the simpler ﬁt), (ii) ω is quite small, a2 is very large, and b is negative such that 1 + bL−ω is close to zero.
Specific-Heat Exponent of Random-Field Systems via Ground-State Calculations
Again, the largest SCC was computed. L was found to be 4.062 and C was found to be 0.156 vs. 0.0012 for a corresponding random graph with the same number of vertices and edges.
A Connection-Centric Survey of Recommender Systems Research
Subroutine 2 follows the ﬁrst-order line found in subroutine 1 until the ﬁrst triple point is found in the direction of increasing ∆.
Ground state numerical study of the three-dimensional random field Ising model