A rabbit eating a leaf
- v eat cause to deteriorate due to the action of water, air, or an acid "The acid corroded the metal","The steady dripping of water rusted the metal stopper in the sink"
- v eat use up (resources or materials) "this car consumes a lot of gas","We exhausted our savings","They run through 20 bottles of wine a week"
- v eat eat a meal; take a meal "We did not eat until 10 P.M. because there were so many phone calls","I didn't eat yet, so I gladly accept your invitation"
- v eat take in solid food "She was eating a banana","What did you eat for dinner last night?"
- v eat take in food; used of animals only "This dog doesn't eat certain kinds of meat","What do whales eat?"
- v eat worry or cause anxiety in a persistent way "What's eating you?"
Additional illustrations & photos:
A goat eating grass, a kid lying alongside
THE COW EATS TOM
GOLDEN HAIR EATS THE LITTLE BEAR'S BREAKFAST
"It looks good enough to eat."
D dealt it. E eat it. F fought for it
child eating pudding
E EAT IT
"Little Black Sambo, I'm going to eat you up!"
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Even if you eat food standing on your head, the food will still end up in your stomach
- Eat To chew and swallow as food; to devour; -- said especially of food not liquid; as, to eat bread. "To eat grass as oxen.""They . . . ate the sacrifices of the dead.""The lean . . . did eat up the first seven fat kine.""The lion had not eaten the carcass.""With stories told of many a feat,
How fairy Mab the junkets eat .""The island princes overbold
Have eat our substance.""His wretched estate is eaten up with mortgages."
- Eat To corrode, as metal, by rust; to consume the flesh, as a cancer; to waste or wear away; to destroy gradually; to cause to disappear.
- Eat To make one's way slowly.
- Eat To take food; to feed; especially, to take solid, in distinction from liquid, food; to board. "He did eat continually at the king's table."
- Eat To taste or relish; as, it eats like tender beef.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Argentineans eat more meat than any other nation in the world an average of 10 ounces per person per day.
- eat To masticate and swallow as nourishment; partake of or devour as food: said especially of solids: as, to eat bread.
- eat To corrode; wear away; gnaw into; consume; waste: generally with away, out, up, or into: as, rust has eaten away the surface; lines eaten out by aqua fortis; these cares eat up all my time.
- eat To take food; feed.
- eat To make way by corrosion; gnaw; penetrate or excavate by disorganization or destruction of substance: as, a cancer eats into the flesh.
- eat To taste; relish: as, it eats like the finest peach.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Every day, 7% of the US eats at McDonald's.
- v.t Eat ēt to chew and swallow: to consume: to corrode
- v.i Eat to take food:—pr.p. eat′ing; pa.t. ate (āt or et); pa.p. eaten (ētn) or (obs.) eat (et)
- n Eat anything used as food (chiefly pl.)
- p.adj Eat that eats: corroding
Could eat a horse - If you are very hungry, you could eat a horse.
Dog eat dog - In a dog eat dog world, there is intense competition and rivalry, where everybody thinks only of himself or herself.
Eat crow - (USA) If you eat crow, you have to admit that you were wrong about something.
Eat humble pie - If someone apologises and shows a lot of contrition for something they have done, they eat humble pie.
Eat like a bird - If someone eats like a bird, they eat very little.
Eat like a horse - Someone who eats like a horse, eats a lot.
Eat like a pig - If some eats like a pig, they either eat too much or they have bad table manners.
Eat my hat - People say this when they don't believe that something is going to happen e.g. 'If he passes that exam, I'll eat my hat!'
Eat someone alive - If you eat someone alive, you defeat or beat them comprehensively.
Eat something for breakfast - If you eat something for breakfast, you can do it effortlessly, and if you eat someone for breakfast, you can beat them easily.
Eat your heart out - If someone tells you to eat your heart out, they are saying they are better than you at something.
Eat your words - If you eat your words, you accept publicly that you were wrong about something you said.
Have your cake and eat it too - If someone wants to have their cake and eat it too, they want everything their way, especially when their wishes are contradictory.
I'll eat my hat - You can say this when you are absolutely sure that you are right to let the other person know that there is no chance of your being wrong.
Proof of the pudding is in the eating - This means that something can only be judged when it is tested or by its results. (It is often shortened to 'Proof of the pudding'.)
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
OE. eten, AS. etan,; akin to OS. etan, OFries. eta, D. eten, OHG. ezzan, G. essen, Icel. eta, Sw. äta, Dan. æde, Goth. itan, Ir. & Gael. ith, W. ysu, L. edere, Gr. 'e`dein, Skr. ad,. √6. Cf. Etch Fret to rub, Edible
Then I shall have plenty to eat, and you may kill all the birds you wish.
"Thirty Indian Legends" by Margaret Bemister
Each day she hunted for something to eat.
"The Tree-Dwellers" by Katharine Elizabeth Dopp
His meals were ready whenever he got ready to eat.
"Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves, Arkansas Narratives, Part 4" by Work Projects Administration
Got anything to eat?
"The Peril Finders" by George Manville Fenn
If there is anything of that kind to be eat, Jim, you will have to eat it.
"How Private George W. Peck Put Down The Rebellion or, The Funny Experiences of a Raw Recruit - 1887" by George W. Peck
As soon as they had finished eating, the canoe was launched and got ready.
"Popular Adventure Tales" by Mayne Reid
And if he pays for meat, why should he not eat it?
"Casa Braccio, Volumes 1 and 2 (of 2)" by F. Marion Crawford
But come, Guinea, we must stir about and get something to eat.
"The Jucklins" by Opie Read
Even Percy's fastidiousness did not prevent him from eating his full share.
"Jim Spurling, Fisherman" by Albert Walter Tolman
We shall consider the question of flesh-eating an open one.
"How To Behave: A Pocket Manual Of Republican Etiquette, And Guide To Correct Personal Habits" by Samuel R Wells
My husband soon
Will home return
From labour. Tarry, tarry, man,
And with us eat our evening meal.
"The Wanderer" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
It tells me when I am to eat,
Which isn't necessary;
When food with me is obsolete,
I'll be a reliquary.
"The Little Clock" by Hattie Howard
"Old Quin Queeribus--
He loved his garden so,
He couldn't eat his growing things,
He only let them grow!"
"July" by Nancy Byrd Turner
"And don't be angry, Walter,
That Flash has had a treat;
Here's another piece of bread
You may eat, eat, eat."
"Walter And His Dog" by Eliza Lee Follen
That night when Mr. Taylor came
His vesper meal to eat,
He uttered things my pious pen
Would liefer not repeat.
"The Ballad Of The Taylor Pup" by Eugene Field
Look at itsy-bitsy Mitzi!
See her figure slim and ritzy!
She eats a
She no longer itsy-bitsy!
"The Pizza" by Ogden Nash
UNITED STATES—It seems that almost four years ago, Americans were not consumed with the notion of what they should be eating or what they should not be eating.
The Chocolate Therapist offers her Top 3 Chocolate Eating Secrets for eating chocolate and eating it every day.
She's posting pictures of it all here, so you can see if you eat what Penny eats.
Our family of eight almost never went out to eat because it's hard to feed that many people on any kind of budget, and when we did eat out it was almost always fast food.
Sacramento Children's Museum to Promote Healthy Eating at "Happy Heart, Healthy Eating" Event.
Eat Well, Eat Local, Eat Together This Holiday Season .
Eating Healthy Day on Nov 7 with these "Tips for Eating Healthy on a Budget.".
Sondra Bernstein, at left in the girl and the fig, has created not so much a cookbook as a new way of thinking about the food around us, the things we eat, and how we eat them.
The more I eat out, write about eating out, and eat out with my family, the more I realize I'd never want to run a restaurant.
Thanksgiving is great for spending time with family eating, playing games, eating, lounging around, eating and FOOTBALL.
Eating to live is so much more important than living to eat.
From noon to 3 pm today, there's a watermelon eating contest to boost Nintendo's new speed-eating video game for the Wii: Major League Eating.
Which, in a worst-case scenario, might play like “Eat, Complain and Continue Eating.&rdquo.
Eating while watching TV sets us up to eat more food than we should, but a new experiment shows how manipulating our memories of a meal can change how hungry we feel.
Even food-eating champ Takeru Kobayashi was in town, where he reportedly set a grilled-cheese-sandwich-eating record, with 13 in a minute.
That is, in AA collisions there is stuff there which eats jets.
Theory at Quark Matter '02
In this case it is cr eated by the small galaxy G1 sitting to the South of the C images.
CDM Substructure in Gravitational Lenses: Tests and Results
For example, in a food web representing which species eat which in an ecosystem (Sec.
The structure and function of complex networks
Unfortunately, it seems that astronomers cannot have their cake and eat it, since the nebula also acts as a screen which signiﬁcantly obscures the central star.
X-ray and radio emission from colliding stellar winds
Jesus said: ”They need not go away; you give them something to eat”.
Zeno meets modern science