- n dollarfish any of several silvery marine fishes with very flat bodies
- n dollarfish small food fish of Atlantic coast
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n dollarfish A carangoid fish, Vomer sctipinnis: so named from the roundness and silvery color of the young. Also called moonfish (which see).
- n dollarfish A stromatoid fish, Stromateus triacanthus: so named from its round form and silvery color. Also called butter-fish and harvest-fish. See cut under butter-fish.
- n dollarfish A flat, disk-shaped echinoderm, Echinarachnius parma, found along the Atlantic coast. Also known as cake-urchin and sand-dollar.
- n dollarfish The John-dory, Zeus australis: so called from the mark on its side. The fishermen of Roman Catholic countries hold this fish in special respect, as they recognize in a black round spot on its side the mark left by the thumb of St. Peter, when he took the piece of money from its mouth. Günther, Study of Fishes, p. 451.