Construction of a Knock-Down Book-Shelf Seen From the Back
- n construction drawing a figure satisfying certain conditions as part of solving a problem or proving a theorem "the assignment was to make a construction that could be used in proving the Pythagorean theorem"
- n construction the act of constructing something "during the construction we had to take a detour","his hobby was the building of boats"
- n construction the commercial activity involved in repairing old structures or constructing new ones "their main business is home construction","workers in the building trades"
- n construction a thing constructed; a complex entity constructed of many parts "the structure consisted of a series of arches","she wore her hair in an amazing construction of whirls and ribbons"
- n construction the creation of a construct; the process of combining ideas into a congruous object of thought
- n construction a group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit "I concluded from his awkward constructions that he was a foreigner"
- n construction an interpretation of a text or action "they put an unsympathetic construction on his conduct"
Additional illustrations & photos:
Dovetailed Drawer Construction
Door, Illustrating Panel Construction
Table Construction: Upper Drawer Rail of Table Dovetailed into Left Front Leg
Detail of Construction
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Balneology is the science of swimming pools. Balneologists study problems of heating, cleaning, maintenance, and construction.
- Construction (Gram) The arrangement and connection of words in a sentence; syntactical arrangement. "Some particles . . . in certain constructions have the sense of a whole sentence contained in them."
- Construction The form or manner of building or putting together the parts of anything; structure; arrangement. "An astrolabe of peculiar construction ."
- Construction The method of construing, interpreting, or explaining a declaration or fact; an attributed sense or meaning; understanding; explanation; interpretation; sense. "Any person . . . might, by the sort of construction that would be put on this act, become liable to the penalties of treason.""Strictly the term construction ] signifies determining the meaning and proper effect of language by a consideration of the subject matter and attendant circumstances in connection with the words employed.""Interpretation properly precedes construction , but it does not go beyond the written text."
- Construction The process or art of constructing; the act of building; erection; the act of devising and forming; fabrication; composition.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
In 1998 OSHA reported 1171 construction related fatalities, the sixth straight year this number has increased.
- n construction The act of building or making; the act of devising and forming; fabrication.
- n construction The way or form in which a thing is built or made; the manner of putting together the parts, as of a building, a ship, a machine, or a system; structure.
- n construction That which is constructed; a structure.
- n construction In geometry, a figure drawn so as to satisfy given conditions; the method of drawing such a figure with given mathematical instruments, especially with rule and compasses.
- n construction In grammar, syntax or the arrangement and connection of words in a sentence according to established usages or the practice of good writers and speakers; syntactical arrangement.
- n construction The act of construing; the mann of understanding or construing the arrangement of words, or of explaining facts; attributed sense or meaning; explanation; interpretation.
- n construction Specifically In law: Interpretation; intelligent reading with explanation, such as to define the meaning. An altered reading of the text of an instrument, designed to make clear an ambiguity or uncertainty in its actual expression, or to show its application to, or exclusion of, matters which upon its face are not clearly included or excluded.
- n construction Nautical, the method of ascertaining a ship's course by means of trigonometrical problems and diagrams.
- n construction In music, the composition of a work according to an appreciable plan.
- n construction In the Kantian philosophy, a synthesis of arbitrarily formed conceptions.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Napoleon constructed his battle plans in a sandbox.
- Construction the act of constructing: anything piled together, building: manner of forming:
- Construction (gram.) the arrangement of words in a sentence: interpretation: meaning
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
L. constructio,: cf. F. construction,
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
L. construĕre, -structum—con, struĕre, to build.
Since that time great progress has been made in railway construction.
"Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 4, Part 4" by Various
A fitness to the purposes for which the dwelling is constructed should, unquestionably, be the governing point in determining its position.
"Rural Architecture" by Lewis Falley Allen
Then a new one is constructed.
"A Preface to Politics" by Walter Lippmann
The ships now under construction would be ready in three weeks.
"The Black Star Passes" by John W Campbell
Construction of a Zuni corral 215 110.
"Eighth Annual Report" by Various
This is constructed of trunks of trees ranging from a foot to two feet in diameter.
"Handwork in Wood" by William Noyes
The constructive work of this really great man, indeed, is as yet difficult to appraise.
"Mexico" by Charles Reginald Enock
Blast Furnace Construction and Management.
"Scientific American, Volume XLIII., No. 25, December 18, 1880" by Various
Before the invention of pneumatic and electro-pneumatic action, organs were almost invariably constructed in a single mass.
"The Recent Revolution in Organ Building" by George Laing Miller
Mr. Philip Christian built his house, now standing at the corner of Christian-street, of the bricks of which the Tavern was constructed.
"Recollections of Old Liverpool" by A Nonagenarian
Again, though weak my heart, O Moscow,
I listen, and in words compose
The way you smoke, the way you rise,
The way your great construction goes.
"I would go home again—to rooms..." by Boris Pasternak
My Eden landscapes and their climes
Are constructs from Edwardian times,
When bath-rooms took up lots of space,
And, before eating, one said Grace.
"Doggerel" by W H Auden
When the arts in their infancy were,
In a fable of old 'tis exprest,
A wise magpie constructed that rare
Little house for young birds, called a nest.
"The Magpie's Nest, Or A Lesson Of Docility" by Charles Lamb
He, the high tower,
constructed of Lebanon wood and cypress,
has been adorned with jacinth and diamonds,
a city excelling the crafts of other builders.
"Columba Aspexit" by Hildegard von Bingen
Make way, ye Roman authors,
clear the street, ye Greeks,
For a much larger Iliad is on the course of construction
(and to Imperial order)
Clear the streets, O ye Greeks!
"Homage To Sextus Propertius - XII" by Ezra Pound
And as every day passed by they felt woe begone,
Because no sail could they see on the horizon;
And they constructed a sea anchor to keep the boat's head to sea,
And not withstanding their hardships they stood out bravely.
"The Wreck of the Barque 'Wm. Paterson of Liverpool'" by William Topaz McGonagall
20 m ago construction on ramp until 1pm.
Every time the UMass Lowell construction delays me for work, I think they should compensate me for the time I waste sitting in traffic.
The construction worker killed after a backhoe fell on him at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport this week has been identified as 46-year-old Jeffrey Tukua of Hastings.
A mechanic was killed in a construction accident in Bethlehem on Friday, officials said.
Hermantown construction worker learns punishment after hitting employee with backhoe bucket.
The co-owner of a construction company in Hermantown was sentenced Monday, after he hit another worker with a bucket of a backhoe .
Burglars used a backhoe to smash several storage buildings Wednesday morning at a construction site in the 2400 block of South New Road before stealing generators, tools and copper wiring from them, Waco police said.
Mechanic killed in construction accident in Bethlehem.
Traditionally, staple yarns have been used only for cut pile carpet construction.
30 m ago construction on ramp until 1pm.
Will move to civic center under construction in Newport Center.
Editor's note: The San Diego City Council voted to 6-1 on July 9 to support a $45.3 million construction project that will remove vehicles from the center of Balboa Park, returning its Plaza de Panama to pedestrians.
Birmingham-based construction company Brasfield & Gorrie has topped out construction on the new Omni Nashville Hotel and Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, the company announced.
Stock Construction has completed construction on a coach home building at Players Cove , a private neighborhood of coach homes in Lely Resort.
Kellam Construction has been awarded Platinum status for this LEED construction at Cape Charles, Eastern Shore Virginia.
To construct the pair (A, D), ﬁrst we construct a Γ-graded ǫ-commutative ﬁeld extension E of F (i.e., each nonzero homogeneous element of E is invertible).
Classification of derivation-simple color algebras related to locally finite derivations
The construction of the free fermionic models beyond the NAHE–set entails the construction of additional boundary condition basis vectors and the associated one– loop GSO phases.
On the Number of Chiral Generations in Z2 X Z2 Orbifolds
In Sec. 3, among the groups that are lead to a given Bol loop by using this construction, we choose an universal group from which the other groups are constructed as its homomorphic images.
Simple Bol loops
It is constructive: we are going to describe how to construct numbers from a pair of polygons and visa versa. A small remark about notations.
Moduli spaces of convex projective structures on surfaces
Explicit constructions of k-wise independent 0-1 probability spaces and estimates on their sizes are the focus of several papers in combinatorics and complexity, see e.g. for the ﬁrst construction and for a recent discussion with additional references.
Random walks with $k$-wise independent increments