Un grand blessé
- adj blessed expletives used informally as intensifiers "he's a blasted idiot","it's a blamed shame","a blame cold winter","not a blessed dime","I'll be damned (or blessed or darned or goddamned) if I'll do any such thing","he's a damn (or goddam or goddamned) fool","a deuced idiot","an infernal nuisance"
- adj blessed highly favored or fortunate (as e.g. by divine grace) "our blessed land","the blessed assurance of a steady income"
- adj blessed characterized by happiness and good fortune "a blessed time"
- adj blessed enjoying the bliss of heaven
- adj blessed Roman Catholic; proclaimed one of the blessed and thus worthy of veneration
- adj Blessed worthy of worship "the Blessed Trinity"
Additional illustrations & photos:
BLESSING THE LAMB ON ST. GEORGE'S DAY
UNCLE DANIEL'S BLESSING
The lovers kneeling to receive Don Pedro's blessing
Bless me, what's all this
"BLESS YOU, MY CHILDREN!"
CHRIST BLESSING LITTLE CHILDREN
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
The town of Olney, Illinois celebrates a "Squirrel Day" festival to honour the 200 albino squirrels that live in the town. The festival includes a squirrel blessing by a priest
- Blessed (R. C. Ch) Beatified.
- Blessed Enjoying happiness or bliss; favored with blessings; happy; highly favored. "All generations shall call me blessed .""Towards England's blessed shore."
- Blessed Enjoying, or pertaining to, spiritual happiness, or heavenly felicity; as, the blessed in heaven. "Reverenced like a blessed saint.""Cast out from God and blessed vision."
- Blessed Hallowed; consecrated; worthy of blessing or adoration; heavenly; holy. "O, run; prevent them with thy humble ode,
And lay it lowly at his blessed feet."
- Blessed Imparting happiness or bliss; fraught with happiness; blissful; joyful. "Then was a blessed blessed a disposition."
- Blessed Used euphemistically, ironically, or intensively. "Not a blessed man came to set her [a boat] free."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
At age 47, the Rolling Stones' bassist, Bill Wyman, began a relationship with 13-year old Mandy Smith, with her mother's blessing. Six years later, they were married, but the marriage only lasted a year. Not long after, Bill's 30-year-old son Stephen married Mandy's mother, age 46. That made Stephen a stepfather to his former stepmother. If Bill and Mandy had remained married, Stephen would have been his father's father-in-law and his own grandpa.
- blessed Consecrated; holy: as, the blessed sacrament.
- blessed Worthy of adoration: as, the blessed Trinity.
- blessed Enjoying supreme happiness or felicity; favored with blessings; highly favored; happy; fortunate: as, “England's blessed shore,”
- blessed Specifically Enjoying spiritual blessings and the favor of God; enjoying heavenly felicity; beatified.
- blessed Fraught with or imparting blessings; bestowing happiness, health, or prosperity.
- blessed Bringing happiness; pleasurable; joyful: as, a most blessed time; “a blessed sight to see,”
- blessed Endowed with or possessing healing virtues.
- blessed By euphemism: Cursed; damned; confounded: a term of mitigated objurgation, and often merely emphatic without objurgation: as, the blessed thing gave way; our blessed system of caucusing; he lost every blessed cent he had.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Dr. Joel Poinsett, the 1st US ambassador to Mexico, brought the poinsettia to US in 1828. The plant, called "flower of the blessed night" in Mexico was renamed in Poinsett's honor.
- adj Blessed happy: prosperous: happy in heaven, beatified
Bless your pointy little head - This expression is used as to patronise someone, especially when they don't realise that they're not very clever.
Blessing in disguise - If some bad luck or misfortune ultimately results in something positive, it's a blessing in disguise.
Count your blessings - When people count their blessings, they concentrate on all the good things in their lives instead of the negative ones.
Blessed be her Holy and Immaculate Conception; Blessed be the Name of Mary, Virgin and Mother.
"The St. Gregory Hymnal and Catholic Choir Book" by Various
I got a Padre to bless them, and you get blessing and all for four quattrini.
"Romola" by George Eliot
Pauh, I am quite another thing when I am with him: I don't fear the devil (bless us) almost if he be by.
"The Comedies of William Congreve Volume 1 [of 2]" by William Congreve
Bless me and bid me good-by.
"Capitola's Peril" by Mrs. E.D.E.N. Southworth
Bless yo' soul, honey!
"Nights With Uncle Remus" by Joel Chandler Harris
Here are great lines, and you will be fortunate;' and then she told me a great deal more, and bid God bless me.
"Japhet in Search of a Father" by Frederick Marryat
The Lord has blessed me in a very special manner at many different times.
"The Story of My Life" by Egerton Ryerson
Notice that buoyant, joyous, emphatic reiteration: 'Blessed,' 'blest,' 'blessings.
"Expositions of Holy Scripture" by Alexander Maclaren
It was the mantle of the Blessed Virgin, her gift to him.
"The Valley of the Kings" by Marmaduke Pickthall
God bless him for it!
"A Confederate Girl's Diary" by Sarah Margan Dawson
God's blessing evermore
Shall keep her true and free,
Till all the wide world o'er
"Redeemed!" by Alfred Gibbs Campbell
Harmonia dwelt within a vale
Of wildest loveliness,
Where sweetest odors fill'd the gale
"The Angels Of Earth" by James Avis Bartley
Both his legs are shot away,
And his head is light,
So he keeps on muttering
All the blessed night:
"In the Ambulance" by Wilfrid Wilson Gibson
O gladsome light
Of the Father Immortal,
And of the celestial
Sacred and blessed
Jesus, our Saviour!
"The Golden Legend: II. A Farm In The Odenwald" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
And though it is a sin,
I must worship her chin,
For its little bonny dimple,
Sure a blessing to win.
"A Head Piece." by Samuel Bamford
Meek Eva is another soul,
Ordained to soothe and bless,
And charm to joy, with soft control,
"The Angels Of Earth" by James Avis Bartley
For more information about doulas in San Antonio, visit Birth Blessings and San Antonio Birth Doulas (SABD), a non-profit organization working with teen and low income women.
We are blessed today to have many treatment options that help us combat these conditions.
"We've really been blessed," says Senior Pastor Mark Brewer.
An unfortunate change of destiny was a blessing in disguise for Danny McGaw.
"I see as a blessing, not a chore," he said.
The fall of the isolated Muslim enclaves in eastern Bosnia, including Zepa yesterday, may be a blessing in disguise.
New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan has been a harsh critic of the Obama administration, but he is blessing Democrats and Republicans equally by giving the closing prayer at both parties' conventions.
This feast was instituted in honor of the most Blessed Sacrament (the Eucharist ) in 1264.
Lambertville priest blesses six dogs in special Evensong service.
High prices for corn and soybeans may turn out to be a mixed blessing.
CONTEMPORARY Irish painting is very much on the map, proving they are blessed with the gift of the brush, as well as of the gab.
There were balloons and cake, speeches and a rendition of "God Bless America" at the 50th anniversary ceremony of the Colmery-O'Neil V.A.
Augustine blesses the kill list.
Women sing the Blessing of the Four Directions at the start of Mass on the July 14.
On Saturday, September 1, 2012, we began the last four months of this historic year, none without problems, defeats and setbacks, but all with victories, rays of new hope and blessings.
Phys. 65 1989 3417-24. 3. Rozenberg Z, Bless S, Brar N: ‘On the influence of the loss of the shear strength on the ballistic performance of brittle solids’ Int. J. Impact Engng.
Numerical simulation of high-speed penetration-perforation dynamics in layered armor shields
Growing economic complexity constitutes at the same time a challenge and a blessing for IT researchers, practitioners and vendors.
How Non-linearity will Transform Information Systems
Still, it is very impressive how the outlandishly small value of the neutrino mass, relative to other quark and charged lepton masses, gets mapped to the outlandishly large value of the uniﬁcation scale, and how the existence of N , at ﬁrst sight an embarrassment, turns out to be a blessing.
You astrophysicists are blessed with enlightening data in an abundance that particle physicists haven’t seen since the 1970s.
Conference Summary - 20th Texas Symposium on Relativistic Astrophysics
Surface science is blessed with an abundance of surface-sensitive probes that have permitted extremely detailed experimental studies.
Quantum Phenomena in Low-Dimensional Systems