A monkey is in the window behind Aunt Thankful
- adj behind having the lower score or lagging position in a contest "behind by two points","the 8th inning found the home team trailing"
- adv behind in or to or toward the rear "he followed behind","seen from behind, the house is more imposing than it is from the front","the final runners were far behind"
- adv behind remaining in a place or condition that has been left or departed from "when he died he left much unfinished work behind","left a large family behind","the children left their books behind","he took off with a squeal of tires and left the other cars far behind"
- adv behind in debt "he fell behind with his mortgage payments","a month behind in the rent","a company that has been run behindhand for years","in arrears with their utility bills"
- adv behind in or into an inferior position "fell behind in his studies","their business was lagging behind in the competition for customers"
- adv behind of timepieces "the clock is almost an hour slow","my watch is running behind"
- n behind the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on "he deserves a good kick in the butt","are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
Additional illustrations & photos:
"Hi! Whip behind!"
"ONE SHORT STAB OF HIS DAGGER BEHIND THE SKULL."
DRIVER AND BRASSY. TOP OF THE SWING. FROM BEHIND
The elf-maiden is left behind with the young man
A kitten with its eyes closed, ignoring the two mice laughing behind it
Cinderella ran so fast that she left one of her little glass slippers on the floor behind her
Og, riding gaily on the unicorn behind the Ark, was quite happy
As the Shah raised his sword an old man stepped from behind the tree
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Finnish folklore states that when Santa comes to Finland to deliver gifts, he leaves his sleigh behind and rides on a goat named Ukko instead
- Behind After the departure of another; as, to stay behind
. "Leave not a rack behind ."
- Behind At the back part; in the rear. "I shall not lag behind ."
- Behind Backward in time or order of succession; past. "Forgetting those things which are behind ."
- Behind Left a distance by, in progress of improvement Hence: Inferior to in dignity, rank, knowledge, or excellence, or in any achievement. "I was not a whit behind the very chiefest apostles."
- Behind Left after the departure of, whether this be by removing to a distance or by death. "A small part of what he left behind him."
- Behind Not yet brought forward, produced, or exhibited to view; out of sight; remaining. "We can not be sure that there is no evidence behind ."
- Behind On the side opposite the front or nearest part; on the back side of; at the back of; on the other side of; as, behind a door; behind a hill. "A tall Brabanter, behind whom I stood."
- n Behind The backside; the rump.
- Behind Toward the back part or rear; backward; as, to look behind
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
The reason why locusts swarm are because when they are in groups, a "hot-spot" behind their hind legs is stimulated, which in turn causes their destructive nature. A large swarm of locusts can eat eighty thousand tons of corn in a day
- behind At the back of some person or thing; in the rear: opposed to before.
- behind Toward the back part; backward: as, to look behind.
- behind Out of sight; not produced or exhibited to view; in abeyance or reserve.
- behind Remaining after some occurrence, action, or operation: as, he departed and left us behind.
- behind Past in the progress of time.
- behind In arrear; behindhand: as, he is behind in his rent.
- behind At the back or in the rear of, as regards either the actual or the assumed front: the opposite of before: as, the valet stood behind his master; crouching behind a tree.
- behind Figuratively, in a position or at a point not so far advanced as; in the rear of, as regards progress, knowledge, development, etc.; not on an equality with: as, behind the age; he is behind the others in mathematics.
- behind In existence or remaining after the removal or disappearance of: as, he left a large family behind him.
- behind Synonyms Behind, After. Behind relates primarily to position; after, to time. When after notes position, it is less close or exact than behind, and it means position in motion. To say that men stood one after another in a line was once correct (see Chaucer, knight's Tale, 1. 901, “kneeled … each after other”), but is not so now. They may come one after another, that is, somewhat irregularly and apart; they came one behind another, that is, close together, one covering another. The distinction is similar to that between beneath and below.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
In Hawaii it is illegal to get a tattoo behind your ear or on your eyelid unless in the presence of a registered physician.
- prep Behind be-hīnd′ at the back of (place, or as support): remaining after or coming after (time, rank, order): inferior to, or not so far advanced as
- adv Behind at the back, in the rear: backward: past
- adj Behind being behind: tardy, or in arrears of debt, &c.: clandestine
- adj Behind or adv. Behind′hand, being behind: tardy, or in arrears of debt, &c.: clandestine
Behind bars - When someone is behind bars, they are in prison.
Behind closed doors - If something happens away from the public eye, it happens behind closed doors.
Behind someone's back - If you do something behind someone's back, you do it without telling them.
Behind the curve - If you are behind the curve, you are behind or out of touch with current trends or developments. ('Ahead of the curve' iis the opposite)
Behind the eight ball - A difficult position from which it is unlikely one can escape.
Behind the times - Someone that is behind the times is old-fashioned and has ideas that are regarded as out-dated.
Four-square behind - If someone stands four-square behind someone, they give that person their full support.
Wet behind the ears - Someone who is wet behind the ears is either very young or inexperienced.
An' see, thar's another head behind it, an' behind that another, an' likely thar's more.
"The Riflemen of the Ohio" by Joseph A. Altsheler
Swimming up behind the little one, Jerry caught her under the arms.
"The Young Oarsmen of Lakeview" by Ralph Bonehill
Coolly putting her tackle behind her, she rose.
"The Huntress" by Hulbert Footner
His killer struck him down from behind.
"A Virginia Scout" by Hugh Pendexter
The horsemen came on, the dust floating in long wisps behind them, until, with a jingle of bridle and stirrup, they pulled up before the building.
"The Cattle-Baron's Daughter" by Harold Bindloss
She turned and glanced at the moon, which had risen behind her.
"Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen" by Hans Christian Andersen
Flatray was riding pillion behind Tim.
"Brand Blotters" by William MacLeod Raine
The door slammed shut behind him, and again he went rigid with his hatred of confinement.
"The Saracen: Land of the Infidel" by Robert Shea
The dark man with the dagger was right behind her, and behind him she could hear John's shout.
"The Saracen: The Holy War" by Robert Shea
The puzzle sifted down to this possibility: Some one behind the Chinese woman had thrown a ball of red paper, a note, into the street.
"Peter the Brazen" by George F. Worts
Behind a tree,
It lights on the ruins
Of a white city
"Having Lost My Sons, I Confront The Wreckage Of The Moon: Christmas, 1960" by James Wright
And leave behind
That we may find.
"The Little Jumping Girls" by Kate Greenaway
I wait for his lips
When the dusk falls
Life holds my longing
Behind dark walls.
"Earth Trembles Waiting" by Blanche Shoemaker Wagstaff
The silent valley
That we will find,
Where all the voices
Are left behind.
"Beata Solitudo" by Ernest Christopher Dowson
From every pain
We do not mention
Grows a chestnut tree
That stays mysterious behind us
"Far Within Us #1" by Vasko Popa
Had walked from the jail
About half a square,
When a cop behind a post
Let him have it fair.
"The Ballad Of Joe Meek" by Sterling A Brown
Edward Villella explains his ballet training as a child, dancing for Balanchine at the New York City Ballet for 18 years, and the artistic philosophy behind his work as Artistic Director of Miami City Ballet.
Pierre, a venerable 25 years old, was going bald , which left him with an embarrassingly exposed, pale pink behind.
Earlier this month, ball boy s for Argentine club Gimnasia-La Plata were busted for hiding balls behind the substitutes' benches to delay the game while the team was ahead 1-0 in the second half.
In his wake, Johnson leaves behind a gorgeous Atlanta, Georgia mansion, which the baller has listed for $4.7 million, reports Realtor.com.
Rodriguez tells several such stories as she leads guests on a behind-the-scenes tour of "Jubilee," the glitzy song-and-dance spectacular that's been playing at Bally 's since 1981.
Swain, 29, was stabbed during an argument while sitting behind the wheel of a car Thursday night, tried to drive away and struck her attacker's 2-year-old daughter before crashing into the house.
The True Story Behind the Banana Republic Brand.
Read the story behind this touching plea after the jump.
The dynamic duo behind Arcade Fire on charity, indie cred, and staying sane.
CNN's Drew Griffin looks behind the scenes of a bank failure that wound up costing the FDIC $500 million.
I didn't ask Jarboe to stand behind me on TV.
An overview of the religious reasons behind the practice of trying to baptize the world's dead and the continuing controversy about it.
University of Oklahoma students go to prison for the documentary 'Women Behind Bars.
But a funny thing happened recently at Wick's Pizza: I found a version of barbecue pizza I can get behind.
America Behind Barbed Wire .
The total number of orbits used is given in brackets behind the resonances.
Frobenius-Perron Resonances for Maps with a Mixed Phase Space
Here we recall the basic ideas behind applications of the Type 0 construction, with the help of two of the earlier examples provided by Klebanov and Tseytlin in the papers [10, 11].
AdS/CFT Correspondence and Type 0 String Theory
To pinpoint the physics behind the theoretical diﬃculties, consider ﬁrst propagation of a plane wave.
Paraxial propagation of a quantum charge in a random magnetic field
Example 4: Generating transvections Recall that the motivation behind Example 1 was a group recognition problem, i.e. trying to determine whether or not the group generated by a given set X of matrices in GL(n, q) contains the special general linear group SL(n, q).
Random matrix theory over finite fields: a survey
The evident driver behind the electronic Hall effect is the Lorentz force acting on charged particles.
Transport mean free path for Magneto-Transverse Light Diffusion: an alternative approach