A PALM-GIRT AVENUE, LOS ANGELES
- n avenue a line of approach "they explored every avenue they could think of","it promises to open new avenues to understanding"
- n avenue a wide street or thoroughfare
Additional illustrations & photos:
ORANGE GROVE AVENUE, PASADENA
MAGNOLIA AVENUE, RIVERSIDE
Avenue of Sphinxes--karnak
The Old Fifth Avenue Send-Off
GIRARD AVENUE BRIDGE—ONE OF THE APPROACHES TO THE EXHIBITION GROUNDS
AVENUE OF PALM TREES, PALATINO
EUCLID AVENUE, CLEVELAND, OHIO
WOODWARD AVENUE, DETROIT, MICHIGAN
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
In the game of Monopoly, the most landed on properties are B&O Railroad, Illinois Avenue, and "Go."
- Avenue A broad street; as, the Fifth Avenue in New York.
- Avenue A way or opening for entrance into a place; a passage by which a place may by reached; a way of approach or of exit. "The avenues leading to the city by land.""On every side were expanding new avenues of inquiry."
- Avenue The principal walk or approach to a house which is withdrawn from the road, especially, such approach bordered on each side by trees; any broad passageway thus bordered. "An avenue of tall elms and branching chestnuts."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
The Boston University Bridge (on Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts) is one of the few places in the world where a boat can sail under a train driving under a car driving under an airplane
- n avenue A passage; a way or an opening for entrance into a place; any opening or passage by which a thing is or may be introduced or approached.
- n avenue A roadway of approach to a country-house, particularly when straight, of considerable length, and shaded by a row of trees on each side; a drive in a private country-place; a walk in a garden or demain of some pretensions as to style or size.
- n avenue A street; properly, a wide street planted with trees and often with turfed spaces on either side, or a garden or shaded promenade in the middle: used in New York, Washington, etc., in the names of the longest and generally the widest streets, as Fifth or Pennsylvania Avenue, but in some American cities without special reference to the character of the street.
- n avenue Figuratively, means of access or attainment.
- n avenue In archaeology, a series of megalithic stones arranged in a row.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
In Hershey, Pennsylvania, the streetlights along "Chocolate Avenue" are in the shape of Hershey Kisses.
- n Avenue av′en-ū the principal approach to a country-house, usually bordered by trees: a double row of trees, with or without a road: a wide and handsome street, with or without trees, esp. in America: any passage or entrance into a place:
- n Avenue av′en-ū (fig.) means of access or attainment.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
F. avenue, fr. avenir, to come to, L. advenire,. See Advene
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Fr.: from L. ad, to, venīre, to come.
Two notable instances may be cited at Number 5200 Germantown Avenue, Germantown, and Number 4927 Frankford Avenue.
"The Colonial Architecture of Philadelphia" by Frank Cousins
The great pillared intersection where Broadway cuts through Sixth Avenue was dead ahead.
"The Mind Master" by Arthur J. Burks
That was on Fifth Avenue yesterday, just when we quit work, Lorna.
"Traffic in Souls" by Eustace Hale Ball
It was on Columbus Avenue, some four blocks from the Mortons' apartment.
"The Film of Fear" by Arnold Fredericks
Some years ago a portion of the ground was profitably sold for the frontage to Fitz John's Avenue.
"Hampstead and Marylebone" by Geraldine Edith Mitton
He was back in the days when Fifth Avenue was an avenue and not a ghetto.
"The Paliser case" by Edgar Saltus
The way was long, and the avenue swept upward with what, to the old woman, was a toilsome ascent.
"The Old Countess; or, The Two Proposals" by Ann S. Stephens
Real property of that sort was still dull and inactive except for a flare-up now and then along Park Avenue and Fifth.
"The Crimson Tide" by Robert W. Chambers
About the park are the buildings of Toronto University, and the avenue leads down to the dignified old law schools at Osgoode Hall.
"Westward with the Prince of Wales" by W. Douglas Newton
And a thousand avenues opened to him through which he could serve his fellow-men.
"Carmen Ariza" by Charles Francis Stocking
Darkness has cheating swiftness
When the eyes rove
Opens and shuts in long avenues
That thought cannot prove.
"Darkness Has Cheating Swiftness" by Ivor Gurney
All down the marble avenues
The lamp-lit casements glow,
And from an hundred palaces
Glad carols float and flow.
"Christmas Eve" by Hanford Lennox Gordon
Thus he nears, and now all Tempe
Rings with his melodious cry,
Avenues and blue expanses
Beam in his large lustrous eye!
"Daphne" by George Meredith
Clear shone the moon, my mansion walls
Towered white above the wood,
Near, down the dark oak avenue
An humble cottage stood.
"The Knight Of Normandy" by Marietta Holley
And underneath their vaulted branches,
Across the regularly drawn
Symmetric avenues, grow flowers
In flower-beds upon a lawn.
"The Linden Avenue" by Boris Pasternak
And for an hour I'd sat to watch
Clouds moving on majestic feet,
Had heard down avenues of night
Their hearts of thunder beat;
"Clouds" by Madison Julius Cawein
Presented by the Avenue Theater through November 22, 417 East 17th Avenue, 303-321-5925, www.avenuetheater.com.
The intersections at Grinnell Street and North Knoxville Avenue as well as Erskine Street and North Knoxville Avenue will remain open, according to a city news release.
Homes along Schuyler Avenue from Vaughn Street to West Union and on John Street from Wyoming Avenue to Mercer Avenue were evacauted.
Cleveland Avenue is open between Hudson Street and Genesse Avenue after a suspected drunken driver crashed into a power pole in the area.
The crash occured near Arlington Avenue around 3:30 a.m. Cleveland Avenue open after an early morning crash.
Roberta Vick, 33, of East Willard Avenue , Norwalk, stepped into oncoming traffic on Milan Avenue just north of Williams Avenue and was struck by a northbound vehicle, Norwalk Police Capt.
BOGART — Prince Avenue Christian wasn't happy with its response to Savannah Christian's physical play when the Raiders crushed Prince Avenue in last year's Class A state semifinals.
The Rice Avenue/Santa Clara Avenue bridge over Highway 101 in Oxnard is basically finished except for landscaping and Caltrans acceptance.
Last Friday, Nov 2, workers from the Department of Transportation opened the new roundabout at the intersection of Fruit Hill Avenue and Olney Avenue.
STUART — Work on the Colorado Avenue beautification project designed to make the avenue a pedestrian-friendly, scenic gateway to downtown could begin early next month pending final approval from the state.
As an alternative, the city proposes directing bicycle traffic south from Detroit Avenue down to West 25th Street to Church Avenue, and then sending it west on city streets.
Syracuse police are investigating a shooting this afternoon on West Brighton Avenue near South Avenue, according to radio reports from the scene.
The man was found about 7 pm in a yard on Highway 43, also known as South Highland Avenue, south of Nebraska Avenue and just west of the city limits.
The two were captured near the intersection of Puritan and Helena avenues at about 11 a.m. Police said they are accused of a break-in in the 1300 block of Lee Avenue.
In the second block of Circuit avenue between Park, now Healy Way, and Narragansett avenues, postcards give a glimpse at the street scene a century ago.
Two possible avenues might be envisioned in the framework of the Orch OR theory by which to overcome the inﬂuence of decoherence due to scattering and tidal effects, such that decoherence by quantum gravitational effects might play a role.
Quantum Computation in Brain Microtubules? Decoherence and Biological Feasibility
The ﬁve dimensional spinor approach is a direct avenue of investigation.
Spinors in Quantum Geometrical Theory
Laboratoire d’Astrophysique de l’Observatoire Midi-Pyr ´en ´ees, 14 Avenue E.
Cosmological parameters estimation in the Quintessence Paradigm
Future avenues of investigation should concentrate on a multiwavelength (wide-ﬁeld) approach tied with spectroscopy (to avoid contamination effects) and must possess well deﬁned selection criteria that can readily be compared to (or transformed directly into the selection criteria of ) previous studies.
At the Vigintennial of the Butcher-Oemler Effect
In order to properly verify this claim of dark matter in the disk, BFG92 discussed several avenues possible to reduce the uncertainties and improve the calculation of the total amount of matter in the local Galactic neighborhood.
Dark Matter in the Local Galactic Disk