Attack Upon an Egyptian Fortress by Troops Of Various Arms
- v attack begin to injure "The cancer cells are attacking his liver","Rust is attacking the metal"
- v attack set to work upon; turn one's energies vigorously to a task "I attacked the problem as soon as I got out of bed"
- v attack attack in speech or writing "The editors of the left-leaning paper attacked the new House Speaker"
- v attack take the initiative and go on the offensive "The Serbs attacked the village at night","The visiting team started to attack"
- v attack launch an attack or assault on; begin hostilities or start warfare with "Hitler attacked Poland on September 1, 1939 and started World War II","Serbian forces assailed Bosnian towns all week"
- v attack attack someone physically or emotionally "The mugger assaulted the woman","Nightmares assailed him regularly"
- n attack a decisive manner of beginning a musical tone or phrase
- n attack an offensive move in a sport or game "they won the game with a 10-hit attack in the 9th inning"
- n attack the act of attacking "attacks on women increased last year","they made an attempt on his life"
- n attack ideas or actions intended to deal with a problem or situation "his approach to every problem is to draw up a list of pros and cons","an attack on inflation","his plan of attack was misguided"
- n attack (military) an offensive against an enemy (using weapons) "the attack began at dawn"
- n attack strong criticism "he published an unexpected attack on my work"
- n attack intense adverse criticism "Clinton directed his fire at the Republican Party","the government has come under attack","don't give me any flak"
- n attack the onset of a corrosive or destructive process (as by a chemical agent) "the film was sensitive to attack by acids","open to attack by the elements"
- n attack a sudden occurrence of an uncontrollable condition "an attack of diarrhea"
Additional illustrations & photos:
The marten about to attack the heron
Awaiting the signal to attack
The Wolf attacks the poor Grandmother
Group showing a starfish attacking an oyster; soft shelled clams; hermit crabs; fiddler crabs, etc
man and wolfhound attacked by dingoes
wolfhound attacking fox
The priest attacks a statue with a spear
"RAJAH'S" ATTACK UPON BONAVITA IN THE RUNWAY
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
British scientists have found evidence that heart attacks increase significantly for people who watch soccer penalty shoot-outs
- Attack A setting to work upon some task, etc.
- Attack An access of disease; a fit of sickness.
- Attack An assault upon one's feelings or reputation with unfriendly or bitter words.
- Attack The act of attacking, or falling on with force or violence; an onset; an assault; -- opposed to defense.
- Attack The beginning of corrosive, decomposing, or destructive action, by a chemical agent.
- Attack To assail with unfriendly speech or writing; to begin a controversy with; to attempt to overthrow or bring into disrepute, by criticism or satire; to censure; as, to attack a man, or his opinions, in a pamphlet.
- Attack To begin to affect; to begin to act upon, injuriously or destructively; to begin to decompose or waste. "On the fourth of March he was attacked by fever.""Hydrofluoric acid . . . attacks the glass."
- Attack To fall upon with force; to assail, as with force and arms; to assault. "Attack their lines."
- v. i Attack To make an onset or attack.
- Attack To set to work upon, as upon a task or problem, or some object of labor or investigation.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Scientists have discovered that the longer the ring finger is in boys the less chance they have of having a heart attack
- attack To assault; fall upon with force; assail, as with force and arms; begin hostilities against.
- attack To endeavor to injure, overthrow, or bring into discredit by any act or proposal, or by unfriendly words or writing, whether by satire, calumny, criticism, or argument: as, to attack a religious belief or a legislative measure; to attack a man or his opinions in a newspaper.
- attack To make an onset or attempt upon, in a general sense; begin action upon or in regard to; set about or upon: as, to attack a piece of work or a problem, or (humorously) the dinner.
- attack To begin to affect; come or fall upon; seize: said of diseases and other destructive agencies: as, yesterday he was attacked by fever; caries attacked the bones; locusts attacked the crops. Specifically In chem., to cause to decompose or dissolve.
- attack Synonyms Set upon, Fall upon, etc. (see assail), assault, beset, besiege, beleaguer, charge upon, engage, challenge, combat. To impugn, criticize, censure.
- attack To make an attack or onset: as, the enemy attacked with great boldness.
- n attack A falling on with force or violence, or with calumny, satire, or criticism; an onset; an assault.
- n attack Battle generally; fight.
- n attack An onset of any kind; the initial movement in any active proceeding or contest, as a game of chess, cricket, etc.; in music, specifically, the act (with reference to the manner) of beginning a piece, passage, or phrase, especially by an orchestra.
- n attack The aggressive part of the art of fencing: opposed to defense.
- n attack A seizure by a disease; the onset of a disease.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
People that suffer from gum disease are twice as likely to have a stroke or heart attack
- v.t Attack at-tak′ to fall upon violently: to assault: to assail with unfriendly words or writing: to begin to affect, fall upon (of diseases)
- n Attack an assault or onset: the offensive part in any contest: the beginning of active operations on anything, even dinner: severe criticism or calumny
The attack occurred at a point four miles north of North Hinder Lightship.
"New York Times Current History; The European War, Vol 2, No. 4, July, 1915" by Various
The 11th of September had been chosen by the British for the combined land and water attack upon Plattsburg.
"The Naval History of the United States" by Willis J. Abbot
Soon after, Clive marched to attack Surajah Dowlah near Plassey.
"Great Men and Famous Women. Vol. 2 of 8" by Various
Battalion the attack unit.= The battalion is the =attack unit=, whether operating alone or as part of a larger unit.
"Manual of Military Training" by James A. Moss
O'Higgins immediately charged the rest of the Spanish right wing, and San Martin simultaneously attacked in the centre.
"A History of the Nineteenth Century, Year by Year" by Edwin Emerson
Others had attacked the clergy, and others again had attacked religion.
"Lectures on the French Revolution" by John Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton
Her Voices had neither commanded her to attack nor to abstain from attacking.
"The Red True Story Book" by Various
One attack usually protects one against another, but two or three attacks are not unheard of in the same person.
"The Home Medical Library, Volume I (of VI)" by Various
Repeated attacks leave vestiges behind until permanent deafness remains.
"The Home Medical Library, Volume II (of VI)" by Various
Those who had formerly attacked her had questioned only a part of her doctrines.
"Critical and Historical Essays, Volume III (of 3)" by Thomas Babington Macaulay
prove their worth
by hitting back.
"Problems" by Piet Hein
Attack the Sovereign's ear;
Reward shall be, ne'er fear,
"Preferment" by William Hutton
No! No! thank Heaven! O nobly done!
O marvellous attack!
I see thee riding in the sun,
Upon the Eagle's back.
"The Eagle" by William Hayley
With a spear in one hand
The men built the wall with the other.
The enemy was afraid to attack
And so the wall was built.
"Building the Walls of Jerusalem" by Doris Clore Demaree
The gourds, from which we look for fruit,
Produce us only pain;
A worm unseen attacks the root,
And all our hopes are vain.
"Vanity Of Life" by John Newton
—"To-morrow I attack thee, wight,"
Said Sickness. "Yet I swear
I bear thy little ark no spite,
But am bid enter there." IV
"The Subalterns" by Thomas Hardy
An attacker stole the account credentials of a Fedora contributor and accessed Fedora servers, but project leaders say the attackers apparently didn't succeed in compromising any software packages or servers.
Several attacks on Jews over the Sukkot holiday across France have exemplified a whopping 45 percent reported increase in anti-Semitic attacks in the country in the first eight months of 2012.
Gerry Egan, director of Symantec Security Response, told eWEEK the malicious URLs in the attack actually point to a copy of the Neosploit attack toolkit.
DeCode developing heart attack drug Icelandic biotech discovered gene variants that increase heart attack risk in African-Americans.
The shark attack was the third in as many weeks in Sydney waters, following previous attacks on a surfer at Bondi Beach and a Navy diver in Sydney Harbour.
An American whose wife died in the Sept 11 attacks said today that he had been accepted as a co-plaintiff in the German trial of Mounir el-Motassadeq, who is accused of aiding the Hamburg cell involved in the attacks.
The ability to launch military strikes against cyber-attackers will deter perpetrators considering attacking the United States via cyber-space, the Pentagon said in a report sent to Congress.
A diner at a Las Vegas location of the infamous Heart Attack Grill suffered a heart attack while chowing down on one of the fast food joint's Triple Bypass burgers Tuesday evening.
Prosecutor Eric Maillaud says the attacker or attackers violently beat and shot a 7-year-old girl found near the car.
In a statement released shortly after the news broke, Obama said that he regretted the "unfair and misleading attacks" on Rice about her handling of the attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, and praised the UN ambassador 's character.
CLEVELAND (AP) — Defendants convicted in beard- and hair-cutting attacks on fellow Amish lost a bid Wednesday to leave jail to attend a family wedding after prosecutors argued they might flee or commit similar attacks while on furlough.
A county hospital administrator says the man first attacked an elderly woman, then students, before being subdued by security guards who have been posted across China following a spate of school attacks in recent years.
Sikh rights groups have reported a rise in bias attacks since the Sept 11 terrorist attacks .
Some close observers of the Benghazi attack 's aftermath are hoping that details about the video will emerge when the findings of the State Department's Accountability Review Board investigation into the attacks are eventually made public.
A man who was attacking passengers and the driver of a CTA bus in the Marquette Park neighborhood was shot and Tasered by police after he tried to attack officers this afternoon, authorities said.
The N-queens puzzle In the queens problem, N queens have to be placed on a N by N board, so that no queen attacks another.
The ﬁrst step in attacking this problem is to ﬁnd a workable method of describing the geometry of the natural geometric model of such groups G.
Problems on the geometry of finitely generated solvable groups
Security of quantum cryptography against collective attack, Phys.
A simple unbreakable code
One may tackle this problem by ﬁnding particular exact solutions that describe special families of models within a given cosmology and this has been in fact the ﬁrst line of attack in modern cosmological research.
Is Nature Generic?
This feature is called the Painlev´e property and has become very important in recent years in attacking the integrability problem.
Is Nature Generic?