Bessie leans around the edge of the door
- adv around (of quantities) imprecise but fairly close to correct "lasted approximately an hour","in just about a minute","he's about 30 years old","I've had about all I can stand","we meet about once a month","some forty people came","weighs around a hundred pounds","roughly $3,000","holds 3 gallons, more or less","20 or so people were at the party"
- adv around in circumference "the trunk is ten feet around","the pond is two miles around"
- adv around in the area or vicinity "a few spectators standing about","hanging around","waited around for the next flight"
- adv around from beginning to end; throughout "It rains all year round on Skye","frigid weather the year around"
- adv around by a circular or circuitous route "He came all the way around the base","the road goes around the pond"
- adv around in a circle or circular motion "The wheels are spinning around"
- adv around all around or on all sides "dirty clothes lying around (or about)","let's look about for help","There were trees growing all around","she looked around her"
- adv around to a particular destination either specified or understood "she came around to see me","I invited them around for supper"
- adv around in or to a reversed position or direction "about face","suddenly she turned around"
- adv around used of movement to or among many different places or in no particular direction "wandering about with no place to go","people were rushing about","news gets around (or about)","traveled around in Asia","he needs advice from someone who's been around","she sleeps around"
Additional illustrations & photos:
A tiger pauses to look around
Stood Around and Let Richard Kill Those Princes 098
Flies Crawling Around There Are Men and Women 157
Showing central octagonal structure with other areas built around the edges
He rushed out and throwed the rope around Deacon Sypher
A rural landscape, with a few houses and farms scattered around
The youth bows before the sultan, as birds fly around him
A circle of fairies fly around a star; a bird looks on
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
A dime has 118 ridges around the edge
- Around From one part to another of; at random through; about; on another side of; as, to travel around the country; a house standing around the corner.
- Around In a circle; circularly; on every side; round.
- Around In a circuit; here and there within the surrounding space; all about; as, to travel around from town to town.
- Around Near; in the neighborhood; as, this man was standing around when the fight took place.
- Around On all sides of; encircling; encompassing; so as to make the circuit of; about. "A lambent flame arose, which gently spread Around his brows."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Female and male black bears cannot tolerate being around each other except when they breed
- around In a circle or sphere; round about; on every side: as, a dense mist lay around.
- around From place to place; here and there; about: as, to travel around from city to city. [U. S.]
- around About; near: as, he waited around till the fight was over. [U. S.]
- around About; on all sides; encircling; encompassing.
- around From place to place; at random: as, to roam around the country. [U. S.]
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
By partially filling saucers with vinegar and distributing the saucers around a room, you can eliminate odors
- prep Around a-rownd′ on all sides of:
- adv Around on every side: in a circle:
- prep Around a-rownd′ (Amer.) round about
- adv Around (Amer.) round, all about
Albatross around your neck - An albatross around, or round, your neck is a problem resulting from something you did that stops you from being successful.
Around the clock - If something is open around the clock, it is open 24 hours a day. For example, an airport is open around the clock.
Been around the block a few times - Someone who says they've been around the block a few times is indicating that they have life experience relating to the topic at hand. It is not necessary to discuss the introductory aspects of the topic or give beginner level advice.
Get your head around something - If you get your head around something, you come to understand it even though it is difficult to comprehend.
Green around the gills - If someone looks green around the gills, they look ill.
Just around the corner - If something is just around the corner, then it is expected to happen very soon.
Rough around the edges - If someone is rough around the edges, they haven't mastered something, though they show promise.
Run around the bush - (USA) If you run around the bush, it means that you're taking a long time to get to the point.
Run circles around someone - If you can run circles around someone, you are smarter and intellectually quicker than they are.
Run rings around someone - If you run rings around someone, you are so much better than them that they have no chance of keeping up with you.
Throw your weight around - If someone throws their weight around, they use their authority or force of personality to get what they want in the face of opposition.
What goes around comes around - This saying means that of people do bad things to other people, bad things will happen to them.
What goes around, comes around - The good or bad you do to others is requited.
Moving slowly around the room he dropped a few thousand credits.
"Deathworld" by Harry Harrison
Around Chetwynde all the associations of his life were twined.
"The Cryptogram" by James De Mille
Magdelaine de Vercheres lived in the French colonies around Quebec late in the seventeenth century.
"Scouting For Girls, Official Handbook of the Girl Scouts" by Girl Scouts
The official's grizzled hair formed a cap of curls around his head, hiding his ears.
"The Saracen: Land of the Infidel" by Robert Shea
She wrapped one arm around him and twined her legs around one of his.
"The Saracen: The Holy War" by Robert Shea
They lay in clusters around the wreck, floating on the water in silvery shoals.
"Smugglers' Reef" by John Blaine
And then he stopped short and looked around blankly.
"Dave Porter in the Far North" by Edward Stratemeyer
Something heavy shuffling around that bend.
"Shaman" by Robert Shea
The muzzle of his rifle wobbled all around the mark.
"Out of the Depths" by Robert Ames Bennet
Therefore it decided to fly and fly all around the world until it did get her.
"Boys and Girls Bookshelf (Vol 2 of 17)" by Various
Nature around is busy—
Why should we
Remain contented, easy,
"Life’s Struggle" by Benjamin Cutler Clark
In immutability I
fill an intruder, lasting
around my man, droll from
"News" by Kenneth Koch
The door is open,
the cricket is singing.
Are you going around naked
in the fields?
"Full Moon" by Juan Ramon Jimenez
Wash, iron, and scrub,
Walk the dog around—
It was too much,
Nearly broke me down.
"Madam And Her Madam" by Langston Hughes
Have the mountains the purple
I used to love,
And peace about them,
Around and above?
"The wind from the West" by Edward Young
Yet, it hath many lessons
And brings a thousand blessings
Around the heart.
"Life’s Struggle" by Benjamin Cutler Clark
Damn You Auto Correct just feels like it's been around FOREVER, but in reality it's only been around for one year.
AROUND 2100 RESIDENTS IN LE MARS AND OTHER PARTS OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY WERE WITHOUT POWER FOR AROUND 90 MINUTES MONDAY MORNING.
On the yearly trip around the conference, KVAL Sports decided to seek out the best barbeque joints around the Pac -12.
Officials closed beaches around Kanaha Beach Park Thursday morning after a shark bit a stand-up paddle board around 7:30 am off of an area known as "Kite Beach," or Kaa Point.
So the women of the Savannah Inns began shopping their idea around town by wearing their pajamas while shopping around town and to meeting around the city.
ACA wants to help busy camp professionals remain current on the research around "hot topics" that may affect our programs and practices or may be helpful with grant applications or key messages around the importance of the camp experience.
Times are changing around Oklahoma, where Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy has opened up some practices this summer while Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops has thrown up a "Crimson and Cream" curtain around his preseason work this fall.
As particles zoom around in this field, they interact with and attract Higgs bosons, which cluster around the particles in varying numbers.
Molly and Jake love it too, especially the ground-floor layout, with its central box-shaped wall around the stairwell—perfect for running around in a perpetual game of tag.
The traditional classrooms at the University of Phoenix campus in Reno won't be around forever, as such campuses are being phased out in markets around the country where online enrollment far exceeds in-person students.
Residents around Klukwan can now get cell phone service in the area around the village, following completion of a tower behind the village last month by Alaska Communications Systems (ACS).
Piazza di Vino offers an extensive collection of wines from around the world and art from around town.
Summer can be a great time for gathering around the campfire, however, fall is right around the corner and that's when I really look forward to the smell and warmth of dancing flames.
Tie a red scarf around the pirate 's waist and a bandanna around his head.
In schools and communities, Let's gather around, Let's pick up a book, Let's pass it around.
However, if one does the same for open string vertices, as indicated in Fig. 2, there is an extra phase coming from the fact that z is also going (half-way) around ¯w (and not only around w as in the closed string case)5 .
IIA/B, Wound and Wrapped
In certain cases it is known how to set up ordinary ﬁeld theoretic perturbation theory around such solitonic solutions, e.g. around instanton solutions of four-dimensional Yang--Mills theory.
Conformal field theory, boundary conditions and applications to string theory
Zwiebach, “String ﬁeld theory around the tachyon vacuum,” hep-th/0012251. “Classical solutions in string ﬁeld theory around the tachyon vacuum,” hep-th/0102112. A.
On the BV formulation of boundary superstring field theory
When e∗ is spiral, we have shown that the particles around e∗ rotate around the ﬁxed point without changing the shape of distribution.
Mechanism of synchronization in a random dynamical system
Again, the transition temperature is much higher than could be expected from the number average block length: the number average length is around 3.7 whereas the transition temperature occurs around the L = 7 (MC results) or L = 12 (SCF results) position for regular chains.
Coil-Globule Transition for Regular, Random and Specially Designed Copolymers: Monte Carlo Simulation and Self-Consistent Field Theory