Restoration House, Rochester, as it appeared in Dickens's time
- v appear come into sight or view "He suddenly appeared at the wedding","A new star appeared on the horizon"
- v appear come into being or existence, or appear on the scene "Then the computer came along and changed our lives","Homo sapiens appeared millions of years ago"
- v appear be issued or published "Did your latest book appear yet?","The new Woody Allen film hasn't come out yet"
- v appear appear as a character on stage or appear in a play, etc. "Gielgud appears briefly in this movie","She appeared in `Hamlet' on the London stage"
- v appear give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect "She seems to be sleeping","This appears to be a very difficult problem","This project looks fishy","They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
- v appear seem to be true, probable, or apparent "It seems that he is very gifted","It appears that the weather in California is very bad"
- v appear present oneself formally, as before a (judicial) authority "He had to appear in court last month","She appeared on several charges of theft"
Additional illustrations & photos:
Colorful Spanish maiolica found which appear to have been made before 1650
A large German stoneware jug unearthed at Jamestown. The date “1661” appears above the medallion
Objects found at a 17th-century forge site at Jamestown: blacksmith’s tools, bar iron, a few incomplete items, sword...
In this oven a Jamestown woman baked bread over 300 years ago. It appears to have been in use between 1650 and 1690
LOWELL AS IT APPEARED IN 1840
Appearance of House When Complete
The peris, who resemble angels, appear in a blaze of light
Appearances are deceitful
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
The dot that appears over the letter "i" is called a tittle
- n Appear Appearance.
- Appear To become visible to the apprehension of the mind; to be known as a subject of observation or comprehension, or as a thing proved; to be obvious or manifest. "It doth not yet appear what we shall be.""Of their vain contest appeared no end."
- Appear To come before the public; as, a great writer appeared at that time.
- Appear To come or be in sight; to be in view; to become visible. "And God . . . said, Let . . . the dry land appear ."
- Appear To seem; to have a certain semblance; to look. "They disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast."
- Appear To stand in presence of some authority, tribunal, or superior person, to answer a charge, plead a cause, or the like; to present one's self as a party or advocate before a court, or as a person to be tried. "We must all appear before the judgment seat.""One ruffian escaped because no prosecutor dared to appear ."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
The only woman that has appeared on a U.S. paper currency is Martha Washington
- appear To come or be in sight; become visible by approach or by emerging from concealment; be exposed to view.
- appear To stand in presence, as parties or advocates before a court; make appearance.
- appear To come or be placed before the public; come to the notice of the public: as, the actor appeared only once a week; his history appeared in 1880.
- appear To be obvious; be known, as a subject of observation or comprehension; be clear or made clear by evidence.
- appear To seem; have a certain semblance or appearance; look: as, he appeared to be wise; it appears to me that this is unsafe; he appears very old.
- appear To be understood; be intelligible: as, “Do I now appear?” Cotgrave.
- appear Synonyms Look, etc. See seem.
- n appear Appearance.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
If you were standing on Mercury, the Sun would appear 2.5 times larger than it appears from Earth
- v.i Appear ap-pēr′ to become visible: to present one's self formally before an authority or tribunal, hence to act as the representative or counsel for another: to be manifest: to be in one's opinion, to seem: to come into view, to come before the public, to be published (of a book): to seem though not real
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
OE. apperen, aperen, OF. aparoir, F. apparoir, fr. L. apparre, to appear + parre,to come forth, to be visible; prob. from the same root as parre, to produce. Cf. Apparent Parent Peer (v. i.)
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Through Fr. from L. apparē-re—ad, to, parēre, paritum, to come forth.
It appeared to me that he always said the right thing at the right time, so as to impress it on the memory.
"A Voyage round the World" by W.H.G. Kingston
The disappointed suitor had not long left the presence of the lady, who so laconically denied him, when another appears by her side.
"The Death Shot" by Mayne Reid
Though only one story high, this hacienda appears, from its extent, and the style of its architecture, to be a noble mansion.
"The War Trail" by Mayne Reid
A vicious-looking brute he appeared, with shaggy frontlet and scowling lurid eye.
"The White Chief" by Mayne Reid
They appeared rather a band of friendly, jovial fellows.
"The Scalp Hunters" by Mayne Reid
The effects, however, and the appearance may be widely different.
"Special Report on Diseases of the Horse" by United States Department of Agriculture
The explanation appeared so highly plausible and ingenious that it was readily received.
"Notable Voyagers" by W.H.G. Kingston and Henry Frith
They had been on the watch, it appeared, having grown anxious at my non-appearance.
"In the Wilds of Africa" by W.H.G. Kingston
He found him, as his appearance betokened a man of education and refinement, but his spirits appeared greatly depressed.
"Won from the Waves" by W.H.G. Kingston
Every breath of wind appeared to give her a cold, and she slept badly.
"Chatterbox, 1906" by Various
Lies grey on the years;
Lily buries herself
When winter appears.
"Lichen" by Mary Eliza Fullerton
As I dozed
The man I love
It is dreams that
Have begun to comfort me
"As I dozed" by Ono no Komachi
Few Romans were as tony as
The elegant Petronius
None who dressed snappier
Appeared on the Via Appia
"Clerihew – Petronius" by Edmund Clerihew Bentley
Galahad was in the night,
And the wood was drear;
But to men in darksome plight
Radiant things appear:
"The Sangreal" by George MacDonald
Burst them! I'll not repine.
No noble friend
Would stay his fellow-captive,
If means of flight appear.
"To My Friend - Ode III" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Behold! unto my death bed sent,
The notary draw near;
And, eager for my testament,
Each heritor appear.
"The Legacy" by Ernest Jones
Post-revolutionary Libya appears to have elected a relatively moderate pro-Western government.
P ost-revolutionary Libya appears to have elected a relatively moderate pro-Western government.
Swift's latest slew of hits has dominated the Billboard Hot 100, tying her for second place with Madonna and Dionne Warrick for most appearances — 56 — in the chart's 54-year history.
Frankel makes final appearance on a race course at Ascot Saturday.
Ashley Montagu appears in the following.
The musical group Far East Movement appears in a promotional video urging fans to vote.
The USC quarterback's comments from a Tuesday radio appearance are not posted around the school's football complex.
Read Isaac Asimov 's "The Dream," a short story that first appeared in the Post in 1974.
View full size Actor Luke Askew appeared in 10 episodes of HBO series "Big Love".
There's an educational video from that time, called "Understanding Asperger's," in which I appear.
Aspirating bone marrow from the iliac crest appears to be less than optimal in the absence of concentration.
Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez, of Idaho Falls, made his first court appearance before a federal magistrate in Pittsburgh on Thursday, one day after he was arrested at a western Pennsylvania hotel.
This and more detail will appear in next week's Arcata Eye.
His "Focus" column appears each Saturday.
This drawing originally appeared in the November 29, 1973 issue with the article Movie Crazy.
We can lower bound the characteristic width for the appearance of the q -core in essentially the same that we did for k-SAT, except that here k = 2 even as q varies. (A larger value of k would correspond to the appearance of the q -core within a k-uniform hypergraph.) Corollary 5.
On the critical exponents of random k-SAT
If this process is repeated many times, the decks will appear to be in random order, and each deck will appear to be randomly permuted.
Random walks on wreath products of groups
In our galaxy the ma jor source of silicates appears to be predominantly M giants but these low mass stars will have taken longer to evolve and it is only at the time they appear that the dust may begin to resemble more what we see in our galaxy with the accretion of mantles.
Cosmic Dust in the 21st Century
It has the property that the ﬁrst term is 1 and that if integer i + 1 ≥ 2 appears as a term, then integer i has appeared before.
Random incidence matrices: moments of the spectral density
MCs is extinguished and does not appear in the optical; • lines from molecular phases (including most of the ISM mass) appear in the FIR-mm; • several fundamental cooling lines of gas happen in the FIR; • lines from an extremely wide range of ionization states are observable in the IR.
High-Redshift Galaxies: The Far-Infrared and Sub-Millimeter View