Tom and Pearson on the deck of the ship in the snow
- n tom male turkey
- n tom male cat
- n Tom (ethnic slur) offensive and derogatory name for a Black man who is abjectly servile and deferential to Whites
Additional illustrations & photos:
Tom handing a bouquet to Polly
Tom falls off the velocipede
Polly introduces herself to Tom
TOM FALLS INTO THE PUDDING
THE COW EATS TOM
THE EAGLE FLIES AWAY WITH TOM
TOM COMES OUT OF THE FISH
LITTLE TOM TUCKER
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
First novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer
- Tom A familiar contraction of Thomas, a proper name of a man.
- n Tom The knave of trumps at gleek.
- Tom The male of certain animals; -- often used adjectively or in composition; as, tom turkey, tomcat, etc.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Dana Carvey changed his name to "Tom" for 2 weeks because he thought Dana was a girl's name.
- n tom An abbreviation of tome (volume).
- n tom A familiar form of the common Christian name Thomas. Used, like the name Jack, as a generic name for a man or a fellow, implying some degree of slight or contempt: as, a tom- fool; Tom o' Bedlam.
- n tom Used, like jack, attributively or in composition with the name of an animal, a male: as, a tom-cat; hence, as a noun, a male; specifically, a male cat.
- n tom The knave of trumps at gleek.
- n tom A close-stool.
- n tom A machine formerly used in gold-washing, first in the southern Atlantic States, and later in California, where, however, it was soon superseded by the sluice. It is a trough set in an inclined position, about 20 inches wide at the upper and 30 at the lower end, near which for a short distance the wooden bottom is replaced by one of perforated sheet-iron, the holes being about an inch in diameter. Through these holes the finer gravel and sand with the gold pass into a somewhat wider flat box with riffles, on which the precious metal is caught by the help of the current and the necessary amount of stirring with the shovel. The tom is something like the “rocker,” except that it is longer, and has no rocking motion. Both are very rough and cheap machinery; and most of the stuff originally worked by their aid has been washed over again, and sometimes a great number of times.
- n tom Same as def. 5, above.
- n tom A kind of large pitcher or water-can in use in England in the early part of the nineteenth century.
- n tom A Middle English form of toom.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Anne Archer are members of the Church of Scientology
- n Tom tom a dim. of Thomas—used generically for man in 'tomfool,' &c.: a male, esp. a male cat:
- n Tom tom (prov.) a close-stool
Any Tom, Dick or Harry - If something could be done by any Tom, Dick or Harry, it could be done by absolutely anyone.
Every Tom, Dick and Harry - If every Tom, Dick and Harry knows about something, then it is common knowledge.
Peeping Tom - A peeping Tom is someone who tries to look through other people's windows without being seen in order to spy on people in their homes.
But he wasn't Tom Hall, and no amount of coaching would make him Tom's equal that Fall.
"Left Guard Gilbert" by Ralph Henry Barbour
Could Tom have got at the box?
"Tom, The Bootblack" by Horatio Alger
Three months had elapsed when Tom Connor turned up one day with a very long face.
"The Boys of Crawford's Basin" by Sidford F. Hamp
He got acquainted with Tom, and he knew what chums Tom and Larry were at the Hall.
"The Rover Boys in Alaska" by Arthur M. Winfield
Mrs. Loraine appeared at the door, and "Tom" nimbly leaped from his seat, and assisted her into the buggy.
"Seek and Find" by Oliver Optic
Carry this letter to your uncle Tom at the 'Prenoms.
"The Silver Lining" by John Roussel
You, Tom May, take a pull at that sheet; Mr Murray, tighten that port line.
"Hunting the Skipper" by George Manville Fenn
And please, Tom, because you are the finest of men, never speak of this again.
"Otherwise Phyllis" by Meredith Nicholson
Tom Barnum saw the blaze from your radio station and called the house.
"The Radio Boys with the Revenue Guards" by Gerald Breckenridge
Tom had been reviewing this bit of family history more in detail, and much more vividly than we have now done.
"The Cabin on the Prairie" by C. H. (Charles Henry) Pearson
For Tom fell in, and could not be
For ever after found,
For in the blood and batter he
Was strangely lost and drown'd.
"The Life And Death Of Tom Thumb" by Anonymous British
Hunted by rebel master,
Over many a hill and glade,
Black Tom, with his wife and children,
Found his way to our brigade.
"Black Tom" by Anonymous Americas
The bark has sailed the midnight sea,
The sea without a shore,
That waved its parting sign to thee,--
"A health to thee, Tom Moore!"
"After A Lecture On Moore" by Oliver Wendell Holmes
And that is the call of the Yukon
Calling to you and Tom MIx
In the wide open spaces where men are men
And John Wayne* counts as six.
"Call Of The Yukon" by Billy Bennett
Now Tom and Valentine were led
Where half was offer'd at her bed.
As innocence came without a guile,
Both were accepted with a smile.
"The Valentine" by William Hutton
Who, being miss'd, his mother went
Him calling everywhere ;
Where art thou, Tom ? Where art thou, Tom ?
Quoth he, here, mother, here !
"The Life And Death Of Tom Thumb" by Anonymous British
Tom Brady has three Vince Lombardi trophies to his name, but Brady may need… (Martin/AP ).
Byron Nelson and Tom Watson at the 1979 US Open.
And independent filmmaker Tom Gilroy say in a new essay as part of the '90 Days, 90 Reasons' project.
David Toms tees off on the first hole during the final round of the.
Nazanin Boniadi's ' arranged ' romance with Tom Cruise: Vanity Fair's look inside Scientology matchmaking.
KEVIN WINTER/GETTY IMAGES Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes finalized their divorce within weeks of Holmes' sudden announcement that she had split from the actor and Scientologist.
He will report into Network Creative Director Tom Tagholm.
Jockey Tom Queally celebrates after a win by Frankel in England in July.
AP Photo/Tom MihalekMaybe Andrew Bynum doesn't know his way around Philadelphia yet.
Tom Ferreira Tom Ferreira, outside his house on Navy Road in July of 2010 Morgan McGivern.
For the 6th year in a row, the Tom Lea Institute hosts events throughout town, like lectures, tours, exhibits, concerts and movies meant to remember Tom Lea 's contributions.
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady reacted with "deep sadness" Wednesday to the death of his mentor Tom Martinez.
Bruce Springsteen, Rage's Tom Morello do 'Tom Joad' in Los Angeles.
On the Tom Joyner Morning Show Monday, Tom interviewed Mary in an attempt to help resolve the issues between the formerly married couple.
Tom Morgan talks with comedian Tom Papa .
Br¨ocker and T. tom Dieck, Representations of compact Lie groups, Springer-Verlag 1985.
Zero-groups and maximal tori
In particular, this holds for Villadsen’s examples and for Toms’ counterexamples to the Elliott conjecture (cf. ).
Simple C*-algebras with locally finite decomposition rank
Jim Bryan, Tom Graber, and Rahul Pandharipande.
Hypergeometric Equations and Weighted Projective Spaces
Acknow ledgments—We thank Tom Lubensky and Swagatam Mukhopadhyay for discussions.
Elastic heterogeneity of soft random solids
Acknow ledgments. I would like to thank Tom Cusick, Steve Schanuel, and Don Schack (again) for encouraging this pro ject way back when.
On Splitting Types, Discriminant Bounds, and Conclusive Tests for the Galois Group