Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n spinetail In ornithology:
- n spinetail A passerine bird of the family Dendrocolaptidæ, having stiff and more or less acuminate tail-feathers, much like a woodpecker's; a spine-tailed or sclerurine bird. See cuts under saberbill and Sclerurus.
- n spinetail A cypseline bird of the subfamily Chæturinæ; a spine-tailed or chæturine swift, having mucronate shafts of the tail-feathers. See Acanthyllis, and cut under mucronate.
- n spinetail The ruddy duck, Erismatura rubida.
- n spinetail The log-runner, a bird of the genus Orthonyx. See log-runner.