• Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
    • n Hagioscope An opening made in the interior walls of a cruciform church to afford a view of the altar to those in the transepts; -- called, in architecture, a squint.
    • ***
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
    • n hagioscope In medieval architecture, an opening in a wall, screen, or barrier of a church, to afford a view of the chief altar to worshipers in the chapels or side aisles; a squint. See squint.
    • ***
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
    • n Hagioscope hag′- or hā′ji-o-skōp an oblique opening in the screen or chancel wall of a church to afford a view of the chief altar to those in a side chapel or aisle, a squint
    • ***


Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Gr. "a`gios sacred + -scope,
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Gr. hagios, holy, skopein, to look.


In literature:

The visitor will notice the ancient font; also a hagioscope and holy water stoup.
"Wanderings in Wessex" by Edric Holmes
There is a good reredos, a piscina, and a hagioscope.
"Somerset" by G.W. Wade and J.H. Wade
Hagioscopes slant through the chancel walls from the aisle on either side.
"Devon, Its Moorlands, Streams and Coasts" by Rosalind Northcote
These are what are called hagioscopes.
"The Cathedral Church of Canterbury [2nd ed.]." by Hartley Withers
There are interesting brasses to Luke Garnon, John Cooke and his wife, and a curious squint or hagioscope.
"Bell's Cathedrals: The Cathedral Church of Gloucester [2nd ed.]" by H. J. L. J. Massé
The name hagioscope has been used to describe these oblique openings.
"Our Homeland Churches and How to Study Them" by Sidney Heath