The Best Beginning
- adj best (comparative and superlative of `well') wiser or more advantageous and hence advisable "it would be better to speak to him","the White House thought it best not to respond"
- adj best (superlative of `good') having the most positive qualities "the best film of the year","the best solution","the best time for planting","wore his best suit"
- adv best it would be sensible "you'd best stay at home"
- adv best in a most excellent way or manner "he played best after a couple of martinis"
- adv best from a position of superiority or authority "father knows best","I know better."
- v best get the better of "the goal was to best the competition"
- n best the supreme effort one can make "they did their best"
- n best the person who is most outstanding or excellent; someone who tops all others "he could beat the best of them"
- n Best Canadian physiologist (born in the United States) who assisted F. G. Banting in research leading to the discovery of insulin (1899-1978)
Additional illustrations & photos:
"I would be strikin' as Mercury, but I think I would be at my best as Apollo."
The Best Way After All 045
ROSE DID HER BEST FOR ME
OUR CAPTAIN IS ONE OF THE BEST, AND WE'RE READY TO FOLLOW HIM TO H--L.' I SUPPOSE HE MEANS THE HINDENBURG LINE
The best education that money can buy
WHEN A MAN DOES NOT LOOK HIS BEST.'—No. 4
The 'Best Friend
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
The three best-known western names in China: Jesus Christ, Richard Nixon, and Elvis Presley
- Best Having good qualities in the highest degree; most good, kind, desirable, suitable, etc.; most excellent; as, the best man; the best road; the best cloth; the best abilities. "When he is best , he is a little worse than a man.""Heaven's last, best gift, my ever new delight."
- Best In the highest degree; beyond all others. "Thou serpent! That name best befits thee.""He prayeth best , who loveth best All things both great and small."
- Best Most advanced; most correct or complete; as, the best scholar; the best view of a subject.
- Best Most intimately; most thoroughly or correctly; as, what is expedient is best known to himself.
- Best Most; largest; as, the best part of a week.
- v. t Best To get the better of.
- Best To the most advantage; with the most success, case, profit, benefit, or propriety. "Had we best retire? I see a storm.""Had I not best go to her?"
- n Best Utmost; highest endeavor or state; most nearly perfect thing, or being, or action; as, to do one's best; to the best of our ability.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Chedder cheese is the best selling cheese in the USA
- best Of the highest quality, excellence, or standing: said of both persons and things in regard to mental, moral, or physical qualities, whether inherent or acquired: as, the best writers and speakers; the best families; the best judgment; the best years of one's life; a house built of the best materials.
- best Of greatest advantage, usefulness, or suitability for the purpose intended; most advantageous, suitable, appropriate, or desirable: as, the best man for the place; the best way to do anything.
- best Most kind, beneficent, or good: applied to persons: as, the best husband imaginable; which of your brothers is best to you?
- best Largest; greatest; most: as, we spent the best part of three days in getting there.
- n best The highest possible state of excellence; the best quality or property of a person or thing.
- n best All that one can do, or show in one's self: often used in this sense with the possessive pronouns my, thy, his, their, etc.: as, I will do my best to advance your interests; she is bent on looking her best; he did all he could to appear at his best in that performance.
- n best The best. The best people collectively; those of the highest standing in any respect, but especially socially or intellectually.
- n best The best things, or a thing of the best quality: as, he always buys the best; dressed in one's best.
- n best Often used in speaking of things or events that are not so good or favorable as was expected or was to be wished: as, to make the best of ill fortune or a bad bargain.
- best In the most excellent or most suitable manner; with most advantage or success: as, he who runs best gets the prize; the best-behaved boy in the school; the best-cultivated fields.
- best In or to the highest degree; to the fullest extent; most fully: as, those who know him best speak highly of him; those best informed say so; the best-abused man in town.
- best To get the better of; outdo; surpass.
- best To overreach or outwit: as, to best a client.
- best To defeat in a contest; do better than; beat; hence, in pugilism, to thrash soundly; drub; defeat at fisticuffs.
- best Specifically, noting a certain grade of wrought-iron, which is generally divided into four grades: crown, best, best best, and best best best or treble best. This classification is largely arbitrary, and there is considerable difference-between the same grades of different manufacturers.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Gardening is said to be one of the best exercises for maintaining healthy bones
- adj Best best (serves as superl. of Good) good in the highest degree: first: highest: most excellent
- n Best one's utmost endeavour: the highest perfection
- adv Best (superl. of Well) in the highest degree: in the best manner
- v.t Best (coll.) to get the better of
Best of a bad bunch - The best that could be obtained from a list of options that were not exactly what was required.
Best of both worlds - If you have the best of both worlds, you benefit from different things that do not normally go together.
Best thing since sliced bread - If something is the best thing since sliced bread, it is excellent. ('The greatest thing since sliced bread' is also used.)
Dead level best - If you try your dead level best, you try as hard as you possibly could to do something.
Hit me with your best shot - If someone tells you to hit them with your best shot, they are telling you that no matter what you do it won't hurt them or make a difference to them.
Laughter is the best medicine - Laughing is often helpful for healing, especially emotional healing.
Let the best be the enemy of the good - If the desire for an unattainable perfection stops someone from choosing good possibilities, they let the best be the enemy of the good.
Man's best friend - This is an idiomatic term for dogs.
Old friends and old wine are best - This idiom means that the things and people that we know well are better than the unfamiliar.
Put your best foot forward - If you ut your best foot forward, you try your best to do something.
Strange at the best of times - To describe someone or something as really weird or unpleasant in a mild way.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
AS. besta, best, contr. from betest, betst, betsta,; akin to Goth. batists, OHG. pezzisto, G. best, beste, D. best, Icel. beztr, Dan. best, Sw. bäst,. This word has no connection in origin with good,. See Better
In buying seed get only the very best on the market.
"Amateur Gardencraft" by Eben E. Rexford
He loved his father best, but he did not hate his mother.
"The Manxman A Novel - 1895" by Hall Caine
But it is not always the best man that one likes the best.
"Ralph the Heir" by Anthony Trollope
It has the best landscape in it, the best portrait, and the best scene of homely life, to be found in the building.
"The Life of Charles Dickens, Vol. I-III, Complete" by John Forster
It is the best house within my experience in France; Marguerite the best housekeeper in the world.
"The Letters of Charles Dickens" by Charles Dickens
Let Mekitty know that I received her violets with great pleasure, and that I sent her my best love and my best thanks.
"The Letters of Charles Dickens" by Charles Dickens
I hope you believe that I shall do my best, my very best, to make you happy?
"The Bertrams" by Anthony Trollope
Note which is up first, and which gives the best yield and best quality.
"Ontario Teachers' Manuals: Nature Study" by Ontario Ministry of Education
A gude conscience is the best divinity.
"The Proverbs of Scotland" by Alexander Hislop
He did not speak again, but passed on quickly, thinking what he might best do.
"The Vicar of Bullhampton" by Anthony Trollope
Fallen the noblest
Chief of the Northland;
Best of Norwegian
Bows is broken.
"Bergliot" by Bjornstjerne Bjornson
And thou shalt be fulfilled
With all sweet things unwilled:
God loves to jest
"Any Saint" by Francis Thompson
Care that lays her heavy hand
On the best,
Bound him with an iron hand;
Let him rest.
"James Lionel Michael" by Henry Kendall
But with those I love best
I stammer and mutter,
And gossip and jest
Are all I can utter:
"Seals" by Gamaliel Bradford
Then Sorrow came to stay,
And lay upon my breast
He walked with me in the day.
And knew me best.
"Light Of Love" by Dorothy Parker
Come to yer nest;
Yer wife's sair prest,
She's clean worn oot wi' duin her best!
"The Laverock" by George MacDonald
Judas Priest's best-selling and highly influential album 'Screaming for Vengeance ' — best known for the breakthrough hit 'You've Got Another Thing Comin — turns 30 years old today (July 17).
Find the best ski boat or best wakeboard boat for you.
Wiley was honored as one of Washington, DC's 30 "Superstar" lawyers, and 17 Wiley Rein attorneys were named "Best Lawyers" by Washingtonian magazine in its 2011 guide to the capital area's "very best legal talent.
Best Podcast and Best Sex or Relationship Blog.
One for Best Podcast and the other for Best Sex or Relationship Blog as presented by the Black Weblog Awards.
This Portuguese wine is scarce, but leave it to your local favorites to bring the best of the best.
When you're done viewing our best, share your best on our Facebook page.
Flint Generals defenseman Brett Westgarth figured the best way to learn from some of the best hockey players in the world was to keep his eyes open and his mouth shut.
Some people learn best by following the examples of classroom teachers, while others learn best by doing tasks themselves.
Zymurgy magazine, published by the American Homebrewers Association, has released its rankings of the best beers and best breweries in America for 2012.
Peter Okwera's personal best on Saturday turned out to be the University of Tennessee's best in a while.
UC San Diego was ranked as the 38th best university in the country in the annual rankings by US News & World Report and the eighth best public school.
In the mix, we see 2 Chainz got the nod for Best Rap Album, and tough competition for Best Rap Performance.
Robert Richardson, "Hugo" Best Art Direction: Dante Ferretti and Francesca Lo Schavo, "Hugo" Best Costume Design: Mark Bridges, "The Artist" Best Makeup: Mark Coulier and J.
Mobil phone gifts, with gift ideas for the best cell phone accessories for the best new phones for Christmas.
However, the DOg models that ﬁt best in the S − T plot, DOg1 and DOg2, agree less well with observations in the L − T plot, Figure 1c; the best compromise model may be DOg3.
Entropy Evolution in Galaxy Groups and Clusters; A Comparison of External and Internal Heating
By studying different radiators we have been able to select the best candidates for the ﬁnal radiator, which has to be the best compromise between TR performance and mechanical stiffness.
Prototype tests for the ALICE TRD
The combined spectrum of all of the sources, not surprisingly, gave values intermediate between these with a best-ﬁt column density of 1.1 × 1021 cm−2 and a best-ﬁt index of 1.5.
X-ray Source Population in the Elliptical Galaxy NGC 720 with Chandra
To the best of my knowledge the following result, which is essentially given in , is the best known.
Counting sets with small sumset, and the clique number of random Cayley graphs
Using the best average values of the eccentricity and PA from these preliminary ﬁts, we then constructed a range of two-dimensional de Vaucouleurs models, varying the re and the point source contribution, until a best ﬁt to the image proﬁle is found.
The Aligned z ~ 1 Radio Galaxy 3C 280