The girl laughs at the army of turtles
- v turtle hunt for turtles, especially as an occupation
- v turtle overturn accidentally "Don't rock the boat or it will capsize!"
- n turtle any of various aquatic and land reptiles having a bony shell and flipper-like limbs for swimming
- n turtle a sweater or jersey with a high close-fitting collar
Additional illustrations & photos:
The woman carries the turtle to his bath
THE BULLFROG IN ITS NATURAL SURROUNDINGS See Snake, Turtle and Dragonfly and notice the tongue of the frog. Habitat...
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
The only species of turtle that lives in the open ocean is the sea turtle
- Turtle (Zoöl) Any one of the numerous species of Testudinata, especially a sea turtle, or chelonian.
- Turtle (Printing) The curved plate in which the form is held in a type-revolving cylinder press.
- n Turtle tûr"t'l (Zoöl) The turtledove.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Turtles can breathe through their butts
- n turtle A turtle-dove.
- n turtle A tortoise; any chelonian or testudinate; any member of the Chelonia or Testudinata (see the technical names); especially, a marine tortoise, provided with flippers; absolutely, the green turtle, as Chelonia midas (see cut below), highly esteemed for soup. See cuts referred to under tortoise, also cuts under Aspidonectes, Eretmochelys, periotic, Pleurospondylia, slider, and stinkpot.
- n turtle The detachable segment of the cylinder of a rotary printing-machine which contains the types or plates to be printed: so called from its curved surface. In practice, the turtle is removed from the machine to the type-setting room. The types are made up on the curved surface, and firmly held in place by rebated column-rules, thicker at the top than at the bottom, and firmly grooved in the turtle. When the types have been locked up by screws on the turtle, they can be placed on the machine for printing without risk of falling out, or they can be molded in thin curved form by the papier-màché process, and the curved plate made therefrom can be used in printing. The stereotype method is preferred.
- n turtle (See also alligator-turtle, land turtle, mud-turtle, sea-turtle, snapping-turtle.)
- turtle To pursue or capture turtles; make a practice or business of taking turtles.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
A turtle can breathe through its butt.
- n Turtle tur′tl any tortoise, but esp. the edible Green Turtle, prized for the soup made from its flesh, chief glory of aldermanic banquets—Calipash is the part of the animal that belongs to the upper shield, a fatty, gelatinous substance of a dull-greenish colour; Calipee, the yellowish meat of the lower shield
- v.t Turtle to pursue turtles
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Probably the same word as the word preceding, and substituted (probably by sailors) for the Spanish or Portuguese name; cf. Sp. tortuga, tortoise, turtle, Pg. tartaruga, also F. tortue, and E. tortoise,
The tortoises made us think of turtle.
"The Wanderers" by W.H.G. Kingston
Some turtle was quickly cooked, and the strength of all the party was much restored.
"My First Voyage to Southern Seas" by W.H.G. Kingston
Padre Bobo gave us much information about the habits of these turtles.
"The Young Llanero" by W.H.G. Kingston
We soon, however, discovered that it was frequented by turtle, for we found some eggs, fresh-buried, in the sand.
"The Privateersman" by Frederick Marryat
On one particular spot they found a space, of about seventy yards in diameter completely covered with the upper and under shells of turtles.
"The Rover of the Andes" by R.M. Ballantyne
But alas for the poor turtles, men are too clever for them.
"Martin Rattler" by R.M. Ballantyne
During one of the fishing trips the boys brought home an immense turtle.
"The Wonder Island Boys: Conquest of the Savages" by Roger Thompson Finlay
Not that we confine ourselves to the coo vocabulary, or advertise any continuous turtle-dove act.
"The House of Torchy" by Sewell Ford
There was great excitement about Turtle Lodge.
"Little Busybodies" by Jeanette Augustus Marks and Julia Moody
Ordinarily, though, she is rather like a turtle, with a chimney sticking up from her shell.
"The Long Roll" by Mary Johnston
So between them love did shine
That the Turtle saw his right
Flaming in the Phoenix' sight:
Either was the other's mine.
"The Phoenix And The Turtle" by William Shakespeare
Thou the golden fruit dost bear,
I am clad in flowers fair;
Thy sweet boughs perfume the air,
And the turtle buildeth there.
"Love and Harmony" by William Blake
Yet the sad shame that fill'd his breast,
May well thy pity crave,
A turtle dove may build her nest
Upon thy father's grave--"
"Edgar And Ellen" by Matilda Betham
One silent eve I wandered late,
And heard the voice of love;
The turtle thus addressed her mate,
And soothed the listening dove:
"The Doves" by William Cowper
She clingeth to her knight's brave breast
Like a lorn turtle-dove,
And 'mid the peril feeleth rest,—
The full, rapt rest of Love!
"The Daughter Of Plantagenet - Fytte The First" by Thomas Cooper
The bower where I would wed thee, love,
Should be where the jasmines blow;
Under the wing of the turtle dove,
Would we seal the nuptial vow.
"The Wish" by William Crafts
Turtle Rock Elementary community celebrates 90th birthday of their beloved, 14-year crossing guard Darleene Hoag.
Stay away from little turtles.
Dead Sea Turtles Wash Ashore On Several Beaches.
Turtle Mountain announced three new delicious flavors for celebrating summer fun: Coconut Craze, Pomegranate Chip and So Very Strawberry.
Turtle Mountain announced three new delicious flavors for celebratingsummer fun: Coconut Craze, Pomegranate Chip and So Very Strawberry.
Thethree flavors are the newest addition to Turtle Mountain's signature PurelyDecadent Dairy Free.
It may depend on whether you're a lion, a turtle or an ostrich.
Turtles, monsters, babies, Inspectors, so why not toss an Earthworm in the mix.
After searching the home, officers said they found two large turtles submerged in murky water that weighed about 50 pounds each.
Sea turtle nest excavation excites volunteers.
Congress is considering a rule change advocates say could save thousands of sea turtles every year.
Turtles will remain on less-restrictive 'threatened' list.
Rescued green turtle now resides at Stuart's Florida Oceanographic Society.
I had a t-shit airbrushed of "Micah-Angelo" the Ninja Turtle.
Softshell turtles urinate through their mouths.
In short: it can be “turtles all the way down”, provided that below a certain level, the turtles are all the same.
On the Persistence of Homogeneous Matter
On the right we show a photo of a turtle shell taken from .
Complex Networks from Simple Rewrite Systems
New turtle-like reptile in Mongolia [in Russian].
Aspects of the history, anatomy, taxonomy and palaeobiology of sauropod dinosaurs
Your turtle paper for the year concerns the death of Aeschylus (Nisbet 2005).
Astrophysics in 2005
Have we understood this? Only in the sense inspired by a postcard photo of two turtles caught in an embarassing position: turtles don’t do it that way.
Astrophysics in 2006