- n swallowwort perennial herb with branched woody stock and bright yellow flowers
- n swallowwort tropical herb having orange-red flowers followed by pods suggesting a swallow with outspread wings; a weed throughout the tropics
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- n Swallowwort (Bot) See Celandine.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n swallowwort The European herb Cynanchum (Asclepias) Vincetoxicum, or white swallowwort, the plant anciently called asclepias. Also called vincetoxicum (which see) and tame-poison.
- n swallowwort Hence, as a book-name, any plant of the genus Asclepias, the milkweed: applied also to the soma-plant, as formerly classed in Asclepias, and to an umbellifer, Elæoselinum (Thapsia) Asclepium, perhaps from its external resemblance to an asclepiad.
- n swallowwort The celandine, Chelidonium majus, once fancied to be used by swallows as a sight-restorer. Compare swallow-stone.