- n snakefish tropical fishes with large mouths in lizard-like heads; found worldwide
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- n Snakefish (Zoöl) The band fish.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n snakefish A kind of lizard-fish, as Synodus fœtens or S. myops.
- n snakefish The red band-fish, Cepola rubescens: more fully called red snake-fish. See Cepolidæ.
- n snakefish The oar-fish. See cut under Regalecus.
- n snakefish A fish, Polypterus senegalus, which lives in rivers of Africa and has many peculiar characters: well represented in former times, but only two genera belonging to one family remain. The fossil forms are now arranged in five families.