- n rattlebox any of various plants of the genus Crotalaria having inflated pods within which the seeds rattle; used for pasture and green-manure crops
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- Rattlebox A toy that makes a rattling sound; a rattle.
- Rattlebox (Bot) An American herb (Crotalaria sagittalis), the seeds of which, when ripe, rattle in the inflated pod.
- Rattlebox (Bot) Any species of Crotalaria, a genus of yellow-flowered herbs, with inflated, many-seeded pods.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n rattlebox A toy that makes a rattling noise; a rattle.
- n rattlebox A plant, the yellow rattle. See rattle, 6 .
- n rattlebox Any of the North American species of Crotalaria; chiefly, C. sagittalis, a low herb of sandy soil in the eastern half of the United States. The seeds rattle in the inflated leathery pod.
- n rattlebox The calico-wood, snowdrop-, or silverbell-tree, Halesia tetraptera: so named from its large dry fruit, which is bony within and contains a single seed in each of its 1 to 4 cells. See Halesia and calico-wood.