War-dance Performed by Egyptian Soldiers Before A Battle
- n performance any recognized accomplishment "they admired his performance under stress","when Roger Maris powered four home runs in one game his performance merits awe"
- n performance the act of performing; of doing something successfully; using knowledge as distinguished from merely possessing it "they criticised his performance as mayor","experience generally improves performance"
- n performance the act of presenting a play or a piece of music or other entertainment "we congratulated him on his performance at the rehearsal","an inspired performance of Mozart's C minor concerto"
- n performance a dramatic or musical entertainment "they listened to ten different performances","the play ran for 100 performances","the frequent performances of the symphony testify to its popularity"
- n performance process or manner of functioning or operating "the power of its engine determines its operation","the plane's operation in high winds","they compared the cooking performance of each oven","the jet's performance conformed to high standards"
Additional illustrations & photos:
THE CRUELLEST PART OF THE PERFORMANCE
Some bits and bridle ornaments in the Jamestown collection. The artistic designs on many bridle bosses are symbolic...
THE RÔNINS INVITE KÔTSUKÉ NO SUKÉ TO PERFORM HARA-KIRI
A MORNING PERFORMANCE
A PERFORMING PARROT
PERFORMING MONKEYS AND GOAT
A PERFORMING BULL
man performing on stage
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Scientists have actually performed brain surgery on cockroaches
- Performance That which is performed or accomplished; a thing done or carried through; an achievement; a deed; an act; a feat; esp., an action of an elaborate or public character.
- n Performance The act of performing; the carrying into execution or action; execution; achievement; accomplishment; representation by action; as, the performance of an undertaking of a duty. "Promises are not binding where the performance is impossible."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
In 1967, the first successful heart transplant was performed in Cape Town, South Africa
- n performance The act of performing or the condition of being performed; execution or completion of anything; a doing: as, the performance of works or of an undertaking; the performance of duty.
- n performance That which is performed or accomplished; action; deed; thing done; a piece of work.
- n performance A musical, dramatic, or other entertainment; the acting of a play, execution of vocal or instrumental music, exhibition of skill, etc., especially at a place of amusement.
- n performance Synonyms Accomplishment, achievement, consummation. See perform.
- n performance Exploit, feat.
- n performance Production.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
The 1st annual Grammy Awards were awarded in 1959. The Record of the Year was "Volare" by Domenico Modugno, the Album of the Year was "Peter Gunn" by Henry Mancini and the winner of the best R&B performance was "Tequila" by Champs.
- ns Performance act of performing: a carrying out of something: something done, esp. of a public character: a piece of work: an exhibition in a theatre or a place of amusement: an act or action
The boys missed the afternoon performance but were there early for the night show.
"Watch Yourself Go By" by Al. G. Field
Many of these minstrels performed the unusual task of setting the laws in poetic form.
"Woman's Work in Music" by Arthur Elson
In India also the kings performed sacrifices.
"The Tribes and Castes of the Central Provinces of India--Volume I (of IV)" by R.V. Russell
Another ceremony was performed when the party stopped to dine on the road.
"Great African Travellers" by W.H.G. Kingston
Other Organs which perform similar Duties.
"A Treatise on Domestic Economy" by Catherine Esther Beecher
But it is impossible to perform this action, and to sing artistically, at the same time.
"The Psychology of Singing" by David C. Taylor
A true action of the hand cannot be performed by the foot nor can a foot become a hand except by a process of degeneracy.
"How to Add Ten Years to your Life and to Double Its Satisfactions" by S. S. Curry
To-night we give a performance here, and with the dawn of day we start for Remiremont.
"The Son of Monte-Cristo, Volume II (of 2)" by Alexandre Dumas père
Two "tibiae" were often played upon by one performer at the same time.
"The Comedies of Terence" by Publius Terentius Afer, (AKA) Terence
Why not perform in the light?
"The Shadow World" by Hamlin Garland
Repentance, holiness, and faith.
By which to thee we live,
Are not conditions we perform,
But graces we receive.
"Hymn of Sovereign Grace" by Augustus Montague Toplady
O let thy grace perform its part,
And let contention cease;
And shed abroad in every heart
Thine everlasting peace!
"A Hymn For Family Worship" by Henry Kirke White
Lord, can a feeble, helpless worm
Fulfil a task so hard?
Thy grace must all my work perform,
And give the free reward.
"Hymn 161" by Isaac Watts
It has its source from out the space,
Beyond the astral heaven;
It had a purpose to perform,
Or it had not been given.
"Fragments" by Jared Barhite
Not to idle dreams and trances,
Length of face, and solemn tone,
But to Faith, in daily striving
And performance shown.
"To ------," by John Greenleaf Whittier
Trust to the God that leads thee, and follow the sea that is silent;
Did it not yet exist, now would it rise from the flood.
Nature with Genius stands united in league everlasting;
What is promised to one, surely the other performs.
"Columbus. (A Translation From Schiller)" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
The musical Man of La Mancha opens with a gala performance on Friday, Aug 24, followed by five performances at the Hoogland Center for the Arts LRS theater.
Students perform a dance at, "The Sounds of Joy" performance Thursday.
Basic Performance Competency Requirements for All Areas of Music Performance.
Q- Ruption performers Staind stopped by to talk to Mike Adams about touring,smoking and the success of their new album, as they prepare to rock the Saratoga Performing Arts Center.
In a private performance at the AT&T Performance Studio on Friday June 19th.
Dayton-area bluegrass group Sawgrass stops by Excursions for a fun performance and interview in advance of their performance at GearFest 2011.
Folks who went to the performance are still talking about the performance of the Cuban choir, Schola Cantorum Coralina.
The Sea Coast Wind Ensemble, led by conductor Mark Zielinski, performs at last year's Memorial Day weekend concert at the Leura Hill Eastman Performing Arts Center in Fryeburg.
Due to rain The Family Stone will not perform at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center tonight.
This Dec 4, 2011 file photo shows 'Sesame Street' character Elmo and puppeteer Kevin Clash arrive at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts for the Kennedy Center Honors gala performance in Washington.
Paramore, fresh off their performance at the 2010 MTV VMA's on Sept 12, stopped and performed one of the final stops on their 2010 Honda Civic Tour at Viejas Arena Saturday, Sept 18.
Local teachers are receiving the final portion of their 2011-12 performance evaluations, which is connected to students' performance on the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test.
_ Some US states that were measured separately were clear standouts, performing on par with or better than some top-performing Asian countries.
Jackson Browne performs with opening act Sara Watkins at the Morris Performing Arts Center in South Bend on Thursday, October 25, 2012.
The Jerome L Greene Performance Space, New Street-Level Studio & Performance Facility to Open on Tuesday, April 28.
AA) topology where CZ gates are performed between every possible pairing of qubits (note that all such gates commute and can thus be performed simultaneously).
Parameters of Pseudo-Random Quantum Circuits
This is important because if one wishes to parallelize by simultaneously performing commuting twoqubit gates then it is possible to perform the maximum N2 ∼ n2 gates without sacriﬁcing the typical 1/n scaling per two-qubit gate of the convergence rate.
Parameters of Pseudo-Random Quantum Circuits
This brings forth an important principle for evaluating the performance of an SNET, namely, the need for scalability of communications and performance with respect to the number of objects or events in an SNET irrespective of the network size.
Distributed Detection in Sensor Networks with Limited Range Multi-Modal Sensors
Doing so, we ﬁrst ﬁnd that the mean SR are very close for both approaches: a reconstruction performed directly on the DMs only gives a 5% less performance in SR.
Tomographic reconstruction for Wide Field Adaptive Optics systems: Fourier domain analysis and fundamental limitations
Although uncoded error probability is often quantiﬁed, this is only an indirect performance measure, and incorrect conclusions are sometimes reached by considering only uncoded performance.
Transmit Diversity v. Spatial Multiplexing in Modern MIMO Systems