WHO HAS THE DONKEY'S EARS, NOW
- adv now in these times "it is solely by their language that the upper classes nowadays are distinguished"- Nancy Mitford","we now rarely see horse-drawn vehicles on city streets","today almost every home has television"
- adv now without delay or hesitation; with no time intervening "he answered immediately","found an answer straightaway","an official accused of dishonesty should be suspended forthwith","Come here now!"
- adv now used to preface a command or reproof or request "now hear this!","now pay attention"
- adv now at the present moment "goods now on sale","the now-aging dictator","they are now abroad","he is busy at present writing a new novel","it could happen any time now"
- adv now in the historical present; at this point in the narration of a series of past events "President Kennedy now calls in the National Guard","Washington now decides to cross the Delaware","the ship is now listing to port"
- adv now in the immediate past "told me just now"
- adv now (prefatory or transitional) indicates a change of subject or activity "Now the next problem is..."
- n now the momentary present "Now is a good time to do it","it worked up to right now"
Additional illustrations & photos:
Now, Mum! What's the matter
Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep 094
"NOW ONE OR THE OTHER HAS TO DIE."
Dickens's Châlet, now in Cobham Park
INDIANS AS THEY ARE NOW
The shoe now placed on the jack
What Dum Foolishness You Got on Hand Now 177
NOW THEN, MABEL, NOT SO MUCH POSING
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
There is now an ATM at McMurdo Station in Antarctica, which has a winter population of two hundred people
- Now At a time contemporaneous with something spoken of or contemplated; at a particular time referred to. "The ship was now in the midst of the sea."
- Now At the present time; at this moment; at the time of speaking; instantly; as, I will write now
. "I have a patient now living, at an advanced age, who discharged blood from his lungs thirty years ago."
- a Now Existing at the present time; present. "Our now happiness."
- Now In present circumstances; things being as they are; -- hence, used as a connective particle, to introduce an inference or an explanation. "How shall any man distinguish now betwixt a parasite and a man of honor?""Why should he live, now nature bankrupt is?""Then cried they all again, saying, Not this man, but Barabbas. Now , Barabbas was a robber.""The other great and undoing mischief which befalls men is, by their being misrepresented. Now , by calling evil good, a man is misrepresented to others in the way of slander."
- n Now The present time or moment; the present. "Nothing is there to come, and nothing past;
But an eternal now does ever last."
- Now Very lately; not long ago. "They that but now , for honor and for plate,
Made the sea blush with blood, resign their hate."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
If you wanted to count from one to one trillion and you started right now, counting twenty-four hours a day, it would take you about 31,688 years.
- now At the present point of time; at the present time; at this juncture.
- now In these present times; nowadays.
- now But lately; a little while ago.
- now At or by that past time (in vivid narration); at this (or that) particular point in the course of events; thereupon; then.
- now Things being so; as the case stands; after what has been said or done.
- now Used as an emphatic expletive in cases of command, entreaty, remonstrance, and the like: as, come, now, stop that!
- now under erst.
- now A continuative, usually introducing an inference from or an explanation of what precedes.
- now Equivalent to now that, with omission of that.
- n now The present time or moment; this very time.
- now Present.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Italy now has over 200,000 coffee bars, and still growing.
- adv Now now at the present time: at this time or a little before
- conj Now but: after this: things being so
- n Now the present time
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
OE. nou, nu, AS. nū, nu,; akin to D., OS., & OHG. nu, G. nu, nun, Icel., nū, Dan., Sw., & Goth. nu, L. nunc, Gr. ny` ny^n, Skr. nu, nū,. √193. Cf. New
Now it was the bow gun, now the after pivot, now a full broadside.
"The Long Roll" by Mary Johnston
Now, Lucy's feelings towards Irene, which were those of contempt and utter indifference until they met, were now active.
"A Modern Tomboy" by L. T. Meade
If you have now raved enough, Procurer, now then listen, if you please.
"The Comedies of Terence" by Publius Terentius Afer, (AKA) Terence
Never more than now has her heart overflowed with compassion, for never as now has Helen appeared to suffer so acutely.
"The Death Shot" by Mayne Reid
Now a wail, now a scream of passion, went to Maria's heart.
"Deerbrook" by Harriet Martineau
The rights which the slave States now ask to have us recognize, are guaranteed to them by the Constitution as it now stands.
"A Report of the Debates and Proceedings in the Secret Sessions of the Conference Convention" by Lucius Eugene Chittenden
These traveled now high, now low, as the one-eyed man drank deep of the ice water.
"The Rich Little Poor Boy" by Eleanor Gates
But de wages and hour got here now and I don't know what he's gwine do.
"Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves, Arkansas Narratives, Part 4" by Work Projects Administration
It was spring time now but terribly cold, and I thought, 'Now I shall die, and all will be over.
"The Day of Judgment" by Joseph Hocking
Now, if you would only take the Vivians I should go away with a light heart.
"Betty Vivian" by L. T. Meade
And now she paused, and now she stooped,
And plucked a little flower--
A simple daisy 'twas, that drooped
Within a rosy bower.
"The Teacher's Lesson" by Samuel Griswold Goodrich
Should love depart, not a tie
Binds up the heart till we die!--
Now here--now there--sad we stray
Life is all care!--Well-a-day!
"Well-A-Day!" by George Pope Morris
"Nowe Christ thee save, good Kyng Adland,
Nowe Christ thee save and see."
Sayd, "You be welcome, Kyng Estmere,
Right hartilye to mee."
"King Estmere" by Anonymous British
And now the brave commander spoke,
Each Warder did his weapon poke;
And now, with one united push,
They on the steadfast foe did rush.
"The Watch And Ward." by Samuel Bamford
"Now stay for me, dear Annet," he sed,
"Now stay, my dear," he cry'd;
Then strake the dagger untill his heart,
And fell deid by her side.
"Lord Thomas And Fair Annet" by Andrew Lang
She gazed around on earth and sky--
Now paused, and now proceeded;
Hill, valley, wood,--she passed them by,
Unmarked, perchance unheeded.
"The Teacher's Lesson" by Samuel Griswold Goodrich
Now in its 26th year, a list of what matters in food right now, including the Restaurant of the Year, the Chef of the Year, and a hostess we love By John Mariani.
And now, it's now spreading throughout the entire county.
In response to market demand, Parts Now Canada is now offering MPS Ready remanufactured printers from Printersdirect.
Earlier this week Kevin Smith said his hockey epic 'Hit Somebody' will now be a TV series instead of his last film before retirement, and now he's making 'Clerks 3?
Now as an adult that owns a home, with neighbors on either side of us with huge trees that dump leaves on our lawn every fall, I am not as fond of them now as when I was a kid.
(CBS News) With Thanksgiving over, we at The Feed can now shift our attention now to some seasonal fun.
Now, Hollinger, who is now 107 years old, is revealing her secrets for a long life.
Now you see 'em, now you don't: Eclipses of November.
For weeks now, I feel it's only appropriate to fill you in on what I thought about both movies now that I've seen them.
"I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" will be at The Off Broadway Palm Theatre now through December 25, 2012.
Also big is the name Dayton, a brand that once graced a beloved department store chain and now resonates with state voters, who made Mark Dayton first their senator and now their governor.
Now, Now is a great band to listen to while drinking Summit.
Ihab Youssef, a former police officer who now does security consulting, including with the Interior Ministry, warns that creating a new force now could be a precedent for establishing local militias in other parts of Egypt.
And now Washington's minimum wage is going to be $9.19 per hour in 2013, so now we have no worries.
Pinterest now offers secret boards… Now Tonya's gift ideas will be a secret.
Now, it will be sorted with String Tree::Sort(). (e) At this stage all generators T A bc will be replaced or combined to delta functions Dab with ReplaceT(). (f ) Now, within the string only constants and delta functions are left.
AMEGIC++ 1.0, A Matrix Element Generator In C++
We now return to the integral (173), and consider a saddle point of type ii) ; one thereby obtains the sin-kernel squared, since now terms like (it1 − u1) are replaced by the density of states ρ(λ).
New correlation functions for random matrices and integrals over supergroups
Given that the spectrum in the blue region has also now cooled, starspots would now have to cover the entire star to explain the observed changes.
Evidence for high accretion-rates in Weak-Line T Tauri stars?
All that remains now is to verify the three conditions of Theorem 6.1 which we can now check for the factors coming from the Langlands-Shahidi method thanks to (83) and (84).
Generic Transfer for General Spin Groups
The proof now follows essentially the same line as that of Theorem 3, , with ψ(~e) = z /xy there now replaced by Ψ(x, y , z ) ∈ C.
Generalized Markoff Maps and McShane's Identity