The treasure at last
- adj lasting existing for a long time "hopes for a durable peace","a long-lasting friendship"
- adj lasting continuing or enduring without marked change in status or condition or place "permanent secretary to the president","permanent address","literature of permanent value"
- adj lasting retained; not shed "persistent leaves remain attached past maturity","the persistent gills of fishes"
- adj lasting lasting a long time without change "a lasting relationship"
Additional illustrations & photos:
Their last war
The Last Watch of Hero
Hillebrand's last charge
At the bench, checking the last
Checking the heel measurement of the last
Checking the instep measurement of the last
Checking the toe measurement of the last
The inner sole pegged to the last
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
In 1681, the last dodo bird died
- Lasting A species of very durable woolen stuff, used for women's shoes; everlasting.
- Lasting Continuance; endurance.
- a Lasting Existing or continuing a long while; enduring; as, a lasting good or evil; a lasting color.
- Lasting The act or process of shaping on a last.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated
- n lasting Continuance; endurance.
- n lasting A strong and durable woolen or worsted fabric: also called everlasting, and formerly durance. It is usually black, and is used for buttons and for the uppers of women's shoes. It is woven either with a double twill or with a satin-twill (then called Denmark satin). Draw-bays, prunella, and serge de berry are varieties of lasting.
- lasting Continuing in time; durable; of long continuance; that may continue or endure: as, a lasting good or evil; a lasting color.
- lasting Synonyms Lasting. Durable, Permanent, Stable, enduring, abiding, undecaying. perpetual, unendiug. Lasting means resisting the effects of time or other influences tending to produce decay; continuing for a long time, or as long as the nature of the object admits. It is the proper word for abstract things: as, a lasting impression; sudden reformations are seldom lasting. Durable is preferable for tangible objects, and means capable of resisting wear and tear: as, durable material. Permanent, remaining to the end, abiding for ever, applies equally to physical and abstract objects: as, a permanent dye; a permanent situation; the grave is a permanent resting-place. Permanent and stable imply less of resistance than the others. Stable means permanent in its place, lasting upon its foundations, able to stand indefinitely: as, a stable form of government; a stable character.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
One Neptune year lasts 165 Earth years
- adj Lasting permanent, durable
Breathe your last - When you breathe your last, you die.
Famous last words - This expression is used as a way of showing disbelief, rejection or self-deprecation.'They said we had no chance of winning- famous last words!'
Get on my last nerve - (USA) If something is getting on your last nerve, you are completely fed up, ready to lose your temper. (Southern USA)
He who laughs last laughs longest - A person may feel satisfied or pleased when they d something bad or unfair to you, but if you can get revenge, you will feel more satisfaction.('He who laughs last laughs best' is also used, and 'he' is sometimes omitted.)
Last hurrah - If an elderly person does something special before they die, it is a last hurrah.
Last laugh - The person who has the last laugh ends up with the the advantage in a situation after some setbacks.
Last straw - The last straw is the final problem that makes someone lose their temper or the problem that finally brought about the collapse of something. It comes from an Arabic story, where a camel was loaded with straw until a single straw placed on the rest of the load broke its back.
Last-ditch - A last-ditch attempt is a desperate attempt that will probably fail anyway.
Looks like we're the last dogs hung - When you are the last people left in the hall after an event. You look around and say..."looks like we're the last dogs hung."
On your last legs - If someone's on their last legs, they're close to dying.
Until the last dog is shot - (USA) It means until the very last possible moment or until every possibility is exausted: You boys always stay until the last dog is shotI will stay until the last dog is shot to complete this project by deadline (Expression my mom who was born in 1917 in Wisconson always used.)
She had forgotten it until last night.
"Prisoners" by Mary Cholmondeley
At last, the higher snows alone are livid with a last faint tinge of light, and all beneath is quite white.
"Sketches and Studies in Italy and Greece, Complete" by John Symonds
I don't like to throw over Wyndham at the last moment, after what you said when I failed the Hope-Actons last year.
"The Danvers Jewels, and Sir Charles Danvers" by Mary Cholmondeley
That's the last half of last summer's wash-up.
"The Triumph of John Kars" by Ridgwell Cullum
For two fearful hours she gripped his rough hands until at last her nails brought the blood, but the man didn't know or care.
"The Southerner" by Thomas Dixon
The idea of my going in that way at the last moment, without any invitation!
"Can You Forgive Her?" by Anthony Trollope
It was the last day of the century.
"The Eternal City" by Hall Caine
The last letter I got from you was dated last autumn.
"Debit and Credit" by Gustav Freytag
At last I finished the last piece of thick and rather heavy piecrust, and sat waiting to see what would happen next.
"Chatterbox, 1905." by Various
I am very glad that you lifted yourself at last from your mahogany desk, and took such a trip as you describe in your last letter.
"Letters of Edward FitzGerald in two volumes, Vol. 1" by Edward FitzGerald
So I at last attain
All I have longed to gain;
The fairy fleeting shade,
The bliss so long delayed, —
Now stress and strife are past,
I seize at last.
"Fata Morgana" by Cicely Fox Smith
Come to me; I am lonely:
Forgive what you have heard.--
Come to me; if for only
One last sad parting word:
For one last word before the pall
Falls over all.
"One Day And Another: A Lyrical Eclogue – Part IV" by Madison Julius Cawein
At th' last all th' repairers had done,
An th' hall wor as cleean as a pin,
Aw wor pleased when th' last lot wor gooan,
For aw'd getten reight sick o' ther din.
"To Let" by John Hartley
The last that lived there was an evil man;
A child the last that died,
Upon the mother's breast.
It seemed to die by some mysterious ban;
Its grave is by the side
"The House Of Youth" by Elizabeth Drew Barstow Stoddard
And now, Dear Desk, thou knowest for how long time
I have no queen but song:
Yea, thou hast seen the last love fade, and now
Behold the last of many a secret rhyme!
""The Desk's Dry Wood"" by Richard Le Gallienne
He saw my distress, and his last dying grasp
Forgiveness and kindness expressed;
And then, with a look I shall never forget,
He breathed his last sigh on my breast."
"The Warrior's Return" by Amelia Opie
ASU WOMEN 82, PAINE 77: The Lady Rams got their fourth conference win in their last five games Saturday against a slumping Paine team that has now lost seven of its last eight games.
For 10 minutes, the Los Gatos High School football team playing last champions last Friday afternoon.
Last Friday, President Obama signed into law the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act, which passed the Senate last week by a large bipartisan majority, 89-9.
As of last week, our shelter had about 80 more animal residents than it did at this same time last year.
We'll text u back the titles and artists of the last 3 songs last played.
The fact that this oil-free primer makes foundation last and last is almost an aside.
NEW YORK – Electrical problems on Amtrak last night impacted the Yankees and Orioles (and the traveling media) last night and this morning.
Duro-Last Rock- Ply roofing system, part of the Duro-Last Designer Series of roofing membranes.
From the website it looks bigger than last year and last year was huge, with a sledding hill off the 190, an ice maze, and concert stage.
Just think, last fall no one knew how to pronounce his last name.
The Chicago Cubs will keep Mike Quade as their manager, choosing to go with the man who ran the team well for the last six weeks of last season rather than a higher-profile name.
Adil Carcani, the last Prime Minister in Albania's Stalinist era, died last Monday, according to press reports from Tirana, the capital.
Last week's ARTISSIMA art fair brought together 172 international galleries—11 more than last year—for business in Turin.
According to one of the authors, Piet Martens, the last time a sunspot minimum lasted twice as long as usual was around 1913 and before that, 1810.
Last week, I wrote that in the largely disappointing year-end movie gridlock, the best was not saved for last.
It is enough to show that the last part of the theorem follows from the last part of 5.14.1.
Second maximal subgroups of the finite alternating and symmetric groups
The last isomorphism uses the fact that h is odd, to conclude that A[h]-equivariantly we have (Θhr )h ∼= h⋆ Θr ; see the the last section of [O].
The Verlinde bundles and the semihomogeneous Wirtinger duality
Indeed, suppose the last block, which corresponds to Pn , is of size 1, and suppose that the block M is the last block among those of size greater than 1.
Notes on a minimal set of generators for the radical ideal defining the diagonal locus of $(\C^2)^n$
Note that the last formula differs from formula (7) for the Poisson bracket on the Poisson–Lie group Ze by the last four terms.
The Poisson geometry of the conjugation quotient map for simple algebraic groups and deformed Poisson W-algebras
Thus the last claim of the theorem can be proved by adapting the argument of Jaksic and Last [JL] (see Section 8).
Random Dirac operators with time-reversal symmetry