THE HEAVENS FROM THE OBSERVATORY, FLAGSTAFF
- n Heaven the abode of God and the angels
- n heaven any place of complete bliss and delight and peace
Additional illustrations & photos:
JESUS ASCENDING TO HEAVEN
HEAVENS AND EARTH! FRANK; WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO NOW
It Does Not Take Opera Music to Get People To Heaven 027
Don't cats go to heaven
Those who tell untruths never get to Heaven
Good heavens, Corporal, what are you doing up there
Ailanthus. Tree of Heaven
"But here hardby comes Heaven's interpreter."
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Francis Scott Key wrote the words to "The Star-Spangled Banner" on the back on an envelope. The music is from an old English drinking song called "To Anacreon in Heaven."
- Heaven Any place of supreme happiness or great comfort; perfect felicity; bliss; a sublime or exalted condition; as, a heaven of delight. "A heaven of beauty.""The brightest heaven of invention.""O bed! bed! delicious bed!
That heaven upon earth to the weary head!"
- Heaven The dwelling place of the Deity; the abode of bliss; the place or state of the blessed after death. "Unto the God of love, high heaven's King.""It is a knell
That summons thee to heaven or to hell.""New thoughts of God, new hopes of Heaven ."
- Heaven The expanse of space surrounding the earth; esp., that which seems to be over the earth like a great arch or dome; the firmament; the sky; the place where the sun, moon, and stars appear; -- often used in the plural in this sense. "I never saw the heavens so dim by day.""When my eyes shall be turned to behold for the last time the sun in heaven ."
- Heaven The sovereign of heaven; God; also, the assembly of the blessed, collectively; -- used variously in this sense, as in No. 2.; as, heaven helps those who help themselves. "Her prayers, whom Heaven delights to hear.""The will
And high permission of all-ruling Heaven ."
- v. t Heaven To place in happiness or bliss, as if in heaven; to beatify. "We are happy as the bird whose nest
Is heavened in the hush of purple hills."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
The many sights that represent the Chinese city of Beijing were built by foreigners: the Forbidden City was built by the Mongols, the Temple of Heaven by the Manchurians.
- n heaven The expanse of space surrounding the earth, and appearing above and around us as a great arch or vault, in which the sun, moon, and stars seem to be set; the sky; the firmament; the celestial regions: often used in the plural.
- n heaven Sky as typical of climate; a zone or region.
- n heaven The celestial abode of immortal beings; the place or state of existence of blessed spirits beyond the sphere of or after departure from the earthly life. In Christian theology heaven is regarded as the region or state of endless happiness enjoyed by angels and faithful departed spirits in the immediate presence of God. The Hebrews supposed three heavens—the air, the starry firmament, and the abode of God. The Cabalists described seven heavens, each rising in happiness above the other, the highest being the abode of God and the most exalted angels. Hence, to be in the seventh heaven is to be supremely happy. The heaven of the Mohammedans is remarkable for the sensual delights it has in store for the faithful. The ancient Greeks and Latins regarded heaven as the abode of the greater gods; and the spirits of the great and good were supposed to find their place of bliss in the Elysian Fields (which see, under Elysian).
- n heaven [capitalized] The Supreme Being; God; Providence.
- n heaven plural The celestial powers; heavenly beings.
- n heaven Supreme exaltation or felicity; consummate happiness; a state of bliss.
- heaven To place in or as if in heaven; make supremely happy or blessed; beatify.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Eddie Cochran's last recording before he died was Three Steps to Heaven
- n Heaven hev′n the arch of sky overhanging the earth: the air: a zone or region: a very great and indefinite height: the dwelling-place of the Deity and the blessed: the Deity as inhabiting heaven: supreme happiness
- adv Heaven in a manner like that of heaven: by the influence of heaven
Heaven knows - If you ask someone a question and they say this, they have no idea.
Heaven only knows - The answer to a question is not or cannot be known. For example, heaven only knows when the war will end.
Heavenly bodies - The heavenly bodies are the stars.
Move heaven and earth - This expression indicates a person's determined intention of getting a work done in spite of all odds he may face. He will use all and every means to accomplish the target. Example: He moved heaven and earth to get his literary work recognised by the committee of experts.
Seventh heaven - If you are in seventh heaven, you are extremely happy.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
OE. heven, hefen, heofen, AS. heofon,; akin to OS. hevan, LG. heben, heven, Icel. hifinn,; of uncertain origin, cf. D. hemel, G. himmel, Icel. himmin, Goth. himins,; perh. akin to, or influenced by, the root of E. heave, or from a root signifying to cover, cf. Goth. gahamōn, to put on, clothe one's self, G. hemd, shirt, and perh. E. chemise,
Hear me, Heaven," she cried, "and register my vow!
"Daisy Brooks" by Laura Jean Libbey
You do not need a pilot to Heaven until you come to die.
"Flowers of Freethought" by George W. Foote
Heaven knows I have not deserved it from him, or from any of them!
"Mabel's Mistake" by Ann S. Stephens
My little son, you have always been taught that Mary is heaven's Queen.
"Carmen Ariza" by Charles Francis Stocking
Certainly, if we are to be happy in heaven we must begin to make a heaven here on earth.
"The Way to God and How to Find It" by Dwight Moody
It is revealed from heaven above.
"Epistle Sermons, Vol. III" by Martin Luther
Heaven has made the day beautiful because it is our marriage morn.
"Kidnapped at the Altar" by Laura Jean Libbey
Miss Anne, if it had pleased Heaven to spare my poor son, I dare say he would have been just such another by this time.
"The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of Jane Austen" by Jane Austen
He had settled on the heaven-sent rock, and, like the wild birds, built his nest there.
"Timar's Two Worlds" by Mór Jókai
Who, in Heaven's name, would dare to draw near her?
"La Sorcière: The Witch of the Middle Ages" by Jules Michelet
If Heaven I win,
I can no virtue show
But that you loved me so.
Will they not let me in?
"Vale" by Ethel Clifford
Moreover I rate it unseemly
To hold that kind Heaven
Could work such device—to her ruin
And my misery.
"My Cicely" by Thomas Hardy
I strive to lift my mind
To God's most holy throne;
And, with my thought refined,
To think on Heaven alone.
"Sin Of The Choral Singer" by James Avis Bartley
"IF selfishly Thy heaven I seek,
I seek Thy heaven in vain," —
I heard my heart within me speak:
I hear it yet again.
"The Seeker" by Lucy Larcom
May heaven and earth both mingle,
May earth and heaven be one
All through your earthly journey,
Till set your earthly sun.
"Just Married" by Frank Barbour Coffin
My child is lying on my knees;
The signs of heaven she reads:
My face is all the heaven she sees,
Is all the heaven she needs.
"Within and Without: Part IV: A Dramatic Poem" by George MacDonald
Heaven could be different experience for each one of us.
Since the primary goal of flowers is to attract pollinators, it would be overkill for nature to combine dinner-plate-size fire-engine-red blooms with a heavenly spicy fragrance .
Frankly speaking, Roanoke is hot dog heaven.
Musical 'Far From Heaven' At Williamstown Has Potential.
A Bus Called Heaven, The French Fry King, A Troublesome Boy, The Opposite of Tidy: Mini reviews.
Thank heavens nobody was hurt.
From Smoke Signals, a film based on the book The Lone Ranger And Tonto Fistfight In Heaven, by Sherman Alexie.
That is why he and Fulham are a match made in heaven.
Went home to be with her Heavenly Father on Sunday, June 10, 2012, while at her home following a lengthy illness.
A Remembrance Benefit Concert, Jewels from Heaven, is scheduled for Oct 26 at 550 Trackside in downtown Lawrenceville.
Heaven's Gait : Phillies, fans walking on air these days.
It says Redneck Heaven, and it applies to a gigantic bar and grill with motorcycles parked in front of it.
Allyson Heavens made her game-winning goal sound simple.
"Kingdom of Heaven" is full of astonishments, not the least of which are its ideas.
THREE APPLES FELL FROM HEAVEN By Micheline Aharonian Marcom.
The planets were assumed to move in precise circular orbits and the stars were assumed to be situated in the heavenly spheres.
Symmetry Tests and Standard Model Backgrounds
In al l the immensity of heaven and earth, A man uses no more than is room for his feet.
Toward Understanding CMB Anisotropies and Their Implications
Sir Horace Lamb once said “I am an old man now, and when I die and go to Heaven there are two matters on which I hope enlightenment.
Hydrodynamic Turbulence: a 19th Century Problem with a challenge for the 21st Century
The cloud-in-cloud problem was again recognized and solved independently by Peacock & Heavens (1990) and by Bond et al. (1991) (see also the discussion in Efstathiou 1990).
The Cosmological Mass Function
One rarely meets people like him. I thank both Allen and the heavens for this.
Search for Gamma Ray Emission from Galactic Plane with Milagro