TetiniÔnkhÛ, Sitting Before the Funeral Repast
- n funeral a ceremony at which a dead person is buried or cremated "hundreds of people attended his funeral"
Additional illustrations & photos:
the Funeral Stele of The Tomb Of Amten, The 'grand Huntsman
Wall, Josiah and me, we went to that funeral
Chinese funeral procession
Funeral Pile of Sulla
ANCIENT JEWISH FUNERAL PROCESSION
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
In the movie "Gandhi" 300,000 extras appeared in the funeral scene. Of the 300,000, approximately 100,000 received a small fee, and the other 200,000 did it for free
- Funeral A funeral sermon; -- usually in the plural. "Mr. Giles Lawrence preached his funerals ."
- a Funeral Pertaining to a funeral; used at the interment of the dead; as, funeral rites, honors, or ceremonies.
- Funeral The procession attending the burial of the dead; the show and accompaniments of an interment. "The long funerals ."
- Funeral The solemn rites used in the disposition of a dead human body, whether such disposition be by interment, burning, or otherwise; esp., the ceremony or solemnization of interment; obsequies; burial; -- formerly used in the plural. "King James his funerals were performed very solemnly in the collegiate church at Westminster."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
In Russia, when flowers are given for a romantic occasions, flowers are given in odds numbers as even number of flowers is given at funerals only
- funeral Pertaining to burial or sepulture; used, spoken, etc., at the interment of the dead; as, a funeral torch; funeral rites; a funeral train or procession; a funeral oration.
- n funeral The ceremony of burying a dead person; the solemnization of interment; obsequies: formerly used also in the plural.
- n funeral A procession of persons attending the burial of the dead; a funeral train.
- n funeral A funeral sermon: usually in the plural, Davies.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
At Andrew Jackson's funeral in 1845, his pet parrot had to be removed because it was swearing.
- n Funeral fū′nėr-al burial: the ceremony, &c., connected with burial
- adj Funeral pertaining to or used at a burial
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
LL. funeralia, prop. neut. pl. of funeralis, of a funeral, fr. L. funus, funeris, funeral: cf. F. funérailles,
Also he was growing used to funeral cards.
"Clayhanger" by Arnold Bennett
Dr. Johnson wrote "Rasselas" in the evenings of a single week, in order to meet the expenses of his mother's funeral.
"Pushing to the Front" by Orison Swett Marden
Quick as de funeral start, de preacher give out a funeral hymn.
"Slave Narratives Vol. XIV. South Carolina, Part 2" by Works Projects Administration
No sickness there, and no death, no funerals in heaven, no graves in the golden city.
"Christie's Old Organ" by Mrs. O. F. Walton
Funeral ceremonies did not cease when the body or the ashes was laid in the sepulchre.
"Pagan and Christian Rome" by Rodolfo Lanciani
In his pocket as he spoke was the funeral director's bill for $200.
"Spring Street" by James H. Richardson
The funeral pyre was then lighted, and the voices of the Muses were heard chanting his funeral dirge.
"Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome" by E.M. Berens
The funeral orations of Bossuet are generally esteemed the masterpieces of this orator's eloquence.
"Classic French Course in English" by William Cleaver Wilkinson
Bradley had not been able to tell her just when the funeral was set for.
"Laramie Holds the Range" by Frank H. Spearman
The funeral from the log-cabin residence.
"The Shirley Letters from California Mines in 1851-52" by Louise Amelia Knapp Smith Clappe
Then on the sad procession moved,
And mid funereal gloom,
The only son was there to lay
His mother in the tomb.
"Madam Pond," by Lydia Howard Huntley Sigourney
And an air of ancient legend
Wreaths her resilient silks,
Her hat with its funereal plumes,
And her slender ringed hand.
"Unknown Woman" by Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok
"There is rust on Squando's knife,
From the warm, red springs of life;
On the funeral hemlock-trees
Many a scalp the totem sees.
"The Truce of Piscataqua" by John Greenleaf Whittier
"I stood without till all was past,
And the funeral train was gone;
The gathering mist it roll'd like smoke,
I journey'd all alone.
"The Penitent's Confession" by Anne Bannerman
They laid him in his ship,
With horse and harness,
As on a funeral pyre.
A ring upon his finger,
And whispered in his ear.
"By The Fireside : Tegner's Death (Tegner's Drapa)" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Though silence be the meed of death
In dust of death a soul doth burn:
Poet, rekindled by thy breath,
Joy flames within her funeral urn.
"Inscriptions : III." by Thomas MacDonagh
Funeral services for Dewel Robert Burns , 66, of Double Springs, will be Wednesday, October 24, 2012 at 2 pm at Nichols Funeral Home in Addison with Bros Mike Turner and Dennis Farley officiating.
Funeral services were held at 10:30 am Thursday, May 24, 2012, at the Boothby Funeral Home in Cherokee, Ia.
Funeral arrangements are with the Rainey-Mathis Funeral Chapel in Dexter with Travis Quetermous officiating.
Funeral services are incomplete at McIntyre Funeral Home Ministries.
Funeral services were held at 10 am Friday, November 2, 2012, at the Grubbs-Loyd Funeral Home Chapel in Gilmer.
FAYETTE — Funeral arrangements for Barbara Ann McFarland Sambo , 70, of San Diego, who died Tuesday, April 17, 2012, at her residence, are incomplete at Rollins Funeral Homes Inc.
Lorne is a funeral director at Spitzer-Miller Funeral Home.
Funeral arrangements are pending at Shumate-Faulk Funeral Home.
Funeral will be 10 am Monday at Mallory-Martin Funeral Home Chapel in Stigler with burial at Stigler City Cemetery.
Funeral services will be held at 2 pm Saturday in Wheaton Southern Baptist Church, under direction of McQueen Funeral Home, Wheaton.
Funeral arrangements are incomplete at Byerly-Lindsey Funeral Home, Loudonville.
Funeral services will be held 1 pm Saturday, Nov 17, 2012, at the Hynes Funeral Home, Margaretville.
Funeral services for Vineta ' Skeeter ' Jensen, 102, of Estherville will be held 11:30 am Saturday, June 16, 2012, at Henry-Olson Funeral Chapel in Estherville.
Funeral arrangements are with the Landess Funeral Chapel in Malden.
Funeral arrangements are incomplete at Denbow-Primm-Kemery Funeral Home.
At Ramanujan’s funeral on April 26, 1920, most of his orthodox Brahmin relatives stayed away, since Ramanujan was tainted in their eyes, having crossed the waters on his sea voyage to England in April 1914.
And free lunch for all...
I recited this at his funeral, having made the effort of learning it by heart.
Carlo Cercignani's Interests for the Foundations of Physics