SOCIAL ENJOYMENT OF WOMEN
- v enjoy take delight in "he delights in his granddaughter"
- v enjoy have benefit from "enjoy privileges"
- v enjoy derive or receive pleasure from; get enjoyment from; take pleasure in "She relished her fame and basked in her glory"
- v enjoy get pleasure from "I love cooking"
- v enjoy have for one's benefit "The industry enjoyed a boom"
Additional illustrations & photos:
And, strange to say, Arvilly wuzn't skairt a mite—she ruther enjoyed it
A family enjoying a meal, about 1650. Many of the eating and drinking vessels portrayed, together with much of the...
Enjoying a smoke in a tavern, about 1625. (Conjectural sketch by Sidney E. King.)
Archeological explorations revealed that the colonists enjoyed archery. The iron lever shown, known as a “goat’s...
Mr. Klegg Enjoys Solid Comfort. 16
Fancy Picture of Hanwellian Admirer of the Ibsenesque Drama thoroughly enjoying himself
Mr. Bhaer and Jo were enjoying promenades
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
In 1657, the first chocolate house was opened in London, England. The cost of chocolate was about 13 shillings per pound and was a drink that only the elite enjoyed
- Enjoy To have sexual intercourse with. "And Adam knew Eve his wife.""And I knew that thou hearest me always.""The monk he instantly knew to be the prior.""In other hands I have known money do good."
- Enjoy To have, possess, and use with satisfaction; to occupy or have the benefit of, as a good or profitable thing, or as something desirable; as, to enjoy a free constitution and religious liberty. "That the children of Israel may enjoy every man the inheritance of his fathers.""To enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season."
- Enjoy To take pleasure or satisfaction in the possession or experience of; to feel or perceive with pleasure; to be delighted with; as, to enjoy the dainties of a feast; to enjoy conversation.
- v. i Enjoy To take satisfaction; to live in happiness.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
D. H. Lawrence enjoyed taking off his clothes and climbing mulberry trees.
- enjoy To feel or perceive with joy or pleasure; take pleasure or satisfaction in the possession or experience of: as, to enjoy the dainties of a feast, the conversation of friends, or our own meditations; to enjoy foreign travel.
- enjoy To have, possess, and use with satisfaction; have, hold, or occupy, as a good or profitable thing, or as something desirable: as, he enjoys a large fortune, or an honorable office.
- enjoy To derive pleasure from association with or observation of; take delight in being with or in: as, to enjoy one's friends; I enjoyed Paris more than London; to enjoy the country.
- enjoy Specifically To have sexual intercourse with.
- enjoy To have or possess, as something good or desirable, in a general sense: as, he enjoys the esteem of the community; the paper enjoys a wide circulation.
- enjoy To live in happiness; take pleasure or satisfaction.
- n enjoy Enjoyment.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
If you were to go on vacation for eleven days, you'd have less than one million seconds to enjoy it.
- v.t Enjoy en-joi′ to joy or delight in: to feel or perceive with pleasure: to possess or use with satisfaction or delight: to have the use of: to have sexual intercourse with
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
OF. enjoier, to receive with joy; pref. en-,L. in,) + OF. & F. joie, joy: cf. OF. enjoir, to enjoy. See Joy
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
O. Fr. enjoier, to give joy to—en (=L. in), and joie, joy; or O. Fr. enjoir, to enjoy—en, and joir—L. gaudēre, to rejoice.
His enjoyment is both intellectual and sensuous.
"The Gate of Appreciation" by Carleton Noyes
And the more they enjoy it the more they want to get others to share in their enjoyment.
"The Heart of Nature" by Francis Younghusband
No; I was going to enjoy myself thoroughly.
"The Chronicles of a Gay Gordon" by José Maria Gordon
Perhaps nobody in the audience cares whether or not the dancer is enjoying the dance.
"The Art of Stage Dancing" by Ned Wayburn
Mrs. Copley was ready for her dinner, and enjoyed it; and Dolly perceiving this enjoyed hers too.
"The End of a Coil" by Susan Warner
The followers of Babhravya say that any woman who has been enjoyed by five men is a fit and proper person to be enjoyed.
"The Kama Sutra of Vatsyayana" by Vatsyayana
He enjoyed its presence at that very moment, though with a dread of its impending departure.
"The Art of Disappearing" by John Talbot Smith
Clifton enjoyed it, and would have enjoyed going farther with them.
"David Fleming's Forgiveness" by Margaret Murray Robertson
They are going to enjoy a picnic while I enjoy my bath!
"The Land of Thor" by J. Ross Browne
I think you will enjoy it very much.
"The Wide, Wide World" by Susan Warner
Somewhat unlucky that I want the leisure
To enjoy this holy sermon. I am sent for
"Nathan The Wise - Act IV" by Gotthold Ephraim Lessing
O sleep, it is a blessed thing
Which I must ne'er enjoy!
There never was a fairer spring
Than when I was a boy.
""And Yet It Is A Gentle Art!"" by Franklin Pierce Adams
"Enjoy the fleeting moment;
I cannot always wait,
And the glow of the coming sunset
Is gilding the postern gate."
"The Postern Gate" by John Lawson Stoddard
I called thy mercies to my mind
Which I enjoyed before;
And will the Lord no more be kind?
His face appear no more?
"Psalm 77 part 1" by Isaac Watts
Should perchance someone enjoying
Residence within thy shrine,
Bury in thy placid bosom,
All his cares along with mine.
"Quietude" by Frank Barbour Coffin
You have lost the power to enjoy,
You tire of each plaything new,
Mine is the heart of a boy;
Friend, I am richer than you!
"Riches" by George Essex Evans
Rihanna enjoyed a cold one while on a boat ride in her native Barbados Thursday, and we've got the shots for you right here on RadarOnline.com.
Dallas Mavericks' Barea enjoys star treatment in Miami.
Do you like to dance and enjoy the outdoors.
The Barnacle Historic State Park is the perfect environment to enjoy a relaxing high.
I'm a hope'n everyone enjoyed the somewhat better weather over the weekend and took in some of the fun events held in our area with family and friends.
We spent the rest of the sale rocking in our new chairs enjoying the beautiful sunny weather.
BATON ROUGE, La (NBC33) — Some local area baseball players are enjoying their summer at home.
The Miami Heat forward has been too busy enjoying his first NBA title.
Each year, over 100,000 people enjoy the festivities of Bavarian Festival which take place in Heritage Park.
The inviting atmosphere lets you relax and enjoy Asian inspired vegan and vegetarian dishes.
I enjoy seeing the diversity of landscapes, many influenced by their agricultural past.
Non-contact activities safest, allowing children to enjoy exercise, experts say.
It doesn't take much to truly enjoy these long summer days.
Copper the parakeet enjoys the run -- er, fly -- of the house, from helping himself to the family's meals to enjoying the amenities of a running bath.
Crooked Beak is the name given to this wren who enjoys biscuit crumbs and.
The Markov chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) approach to generating samples has enjoyed enormous success since its introduction, but in certain cases it is possible to do better.
The Randomness Recycler: A new technique for perfect sampling
Field theory continues to enjoy an extraordinary level of utility.
The Utility of Quantum Field Theory
The author would like to thank Satya Ma jumdar for an enjoyable correspondence, and for generously sharing his expert knowledge of the literature.
Sign-time distribution for a random walker with a drifting boundary
It is due to this remarkable fact that Gaussian enjoys a pre-eminent position in statistics and statistical physics.
Monte Carlo: Basics
Consequently, the system enjoys the maximum randomness and the corresponding fractal dimension is Df = 0.414213.
Transition from random to ordered fractals in fragmentation of particles in an open system