Different Postures for Approaching the King
- v differ be of different opinions "I beg to differ!","She disagrees with her husband on many questions"
- v differ be different "These two tests differ in only one respect"
Additional illustrations & photos:
Four Different Arrangements of Benches in a Shop
Showing the different elements of the Doric order
THE MODERN WAY OF SETTLING DIFFERENCES
4. Different forms of jaws
234. Different Forms of Case Worms
DIFFERENT PHASES OF VENUS
Distinction without Difference
The Different Shapes of the Globe of the Eye
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
There are over 600 different pasta shapes
- Differ To be of unlike or opposite opinion; to disagree in sentiment; -- often with from or with.
- Differ To be or stand apart; to disagree; to be unlike; to be distinguished; -- with from. "One star differeth from another star in glory.""Minds differ , as rivers differ ."
- v. t Differ To cause to be different or unlike; to set at variance. "But something 'ts that differs thee and me."
- Differ To have a difference, cause of variance, or quarrel; to dispute; to contend. "We 'll never differ with a crowded pit.""Severely punished, not for differing from us in opinion, but for committing a nuisance.""Davidson, whom on a former occasion we quoted, to differ from him.""Much as I differ from him concerning an essential part of the historic basis of religion.""I differ with the honorable gentleman on that point.""If the honorable gentleman differs with me on that subject, I differ as heartily with him, and shall always rejoice to differ."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Even though red roses looks the same, there are over 900 different types of red roses
- differ To be unlike, dissimilar, distinct, or various in nature, condition, form, or qualities: used absolutely or with from: as, the two things differ greatly; men differ from brutes; a statue differs from a picture; wisdom differs from cunning.
- differ To disagree; be of a contrary opinion; dissent; be at variance; vary in opinion or action: used absolutely or with from or with: as, they differ in their methods; he differs from other writers on the subject.
- differ To express disagreement or dissent by word of mouth; come into antagonism; dispute; contend: followed by with.
- differ Synonyms To vary.
- differ To cause to be different or unlike.
- differ To cause difference or dispute between; divide.
- differ To put off; defer. See defer.
- n differ Difference.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
IBM's motto is "Think". Apple later made their motto "Think different".
- v.i Differ dif′ėr to be unlike, distinct, or various (used by itself, or followed by with, from, to): to disagree (with from, with): to fall out, dispute (with)
- pr.p Differ diff′ering; pa.p. diff′ered
- v.t Differ to make a difference between things
- v.i Differ to become different by specialisation:
- v.i Differ (math.) to obtain the differential or differential coefficient of
Different kettle of fish - If something is a different kettle of fish, it is very different from the other things referenced.
Different ropes for different folks - (USA) This idiom means that different people do things in different ways that suit them.
Different strokes for different folks - (USA) This idiom means that different people do things in different ways that suit them.
From a different angle - If you look at something from a different angle, you look at it from a different point of view.
Horse of a different color - (USA) If something is a horse of a different color, it's a different matter or separate issue altogether.
These different methods prevail in the different parts of the country.
"The Cook and Housekeeper's Complete and Universal Dictionary; Including a System of Modern Cookery, in all Its Various Branches," by Mary Eaton
It differs from Entoloma just as Clitocybe differs from Tricholoma.
"The Mushroom, Edible and Otherwise" by M. E. Hard
Sunstroke and heat exhaustion, though due to the same cause, are quite different and require different treatment.
"Boy Scouts Handbook" by Boy Scouts of America
Clearly different cases must be treated differently, and it would not be reasonable to lay down precise formulae to govern them all.
"Introduction to the Study of History" by Charles V. Langlois
In farm lighting batteries, the different types have different values of specific gravity when fully charged.
"The Automobile Storage Battery" by O. A. Witte
Thus, by the mechanical force expended in the collision, at least five, and often more, different kinds of changes have been produced.
"Essays: Scientific, Political, & Speculative, Vol. I" by Herbert Spencer
Moreover, the different organs of the body may receive their energies from different parts of the conjugated nuclei in different degrees.
"The Sexual Question" by August Forel
Each of these different aims of art will necessitate a different system of choice of objects to be represented.
"Modern Painters Volume I (of V)" by John Ruskin
Help came from a quite different source.
"The Harbor" by Ernest Poole
To live differently from what one had been living is to be different from what one has been.
"The Truth About Woman" by C. Gasquoine Hartley
And I have differed.
He disapproves of gin;
I disapprove of sin.
"Clerihew – The Reverend Clifford" by Edmund Clerihew Bentley
The snare and the wing,
They honey, the sting!
When you seek for me—look
For a different thing!
"The Ancient Elf" by James Stephens
If they should say
you have no sense,
don't you mind them; it won't make
"Songs for a Colored Singer" by Elizabeth Bishop
I speak not of myself. There is another,
A very different man, whom, Saladin,
I must first talk with.
"Nathan The Wise - Act V" by Gotthold Ephraim Lessing
What a difference it makes!
How it melts the filmy gloom!
What a little more it takes
Much to brighten up a room!
"Cottage-Songs" by George MacDonald
A cat to tear at his breast
And a glass to work him madness,
That was the gift to Poe:
But things are different here.
"Do You Remember Springfield?" by Stephen Vincent Benet
No differences were found in the VOC profiles of patients in different stages of the cancer.
The campaigns adopted very different design strategies to frame their very different campaigns—to very different ends.
About 1,600 students from 85 different classrooms and 17 different school buildings attended the 11th Conservation and Agriculture Expo on Thursday.
Most of my time is spent talking to coaches and players about different aspects of different sports.
Different choreographers like different numbers.
'Not All Fat Grafting Is the Same'—Different Techniques for Different Uses.
"This is an interesting time for 'molecular clocks '," he told me in an email, "but it is likely that different bits of the genome will be evolving at different rates, and we should be careful before generalizing to the whole genome.
Clocks located at different distances from a heavy body like our Earth tick at different rates.
Of course, different style shoes have different size.
Sometimes, different is just different.
The vases come in 48 different colors , or in 16 different pre-programmed patterns, with speed and intensity regulated by remote control.
JAM Paper & Envelope caries over 1 million different variations of specialty envelopes, mailing envelopes in different sizes and colors .
An emergency drill at Watkins Memorial High School over the summer highlighted the problem – different departments were using different radio frequencies to communicate .
Election Day is a day when voters make different choices for different reasons.
Comparative ratios demonstrate nicely how EV works better than market cap for assessing companies with differing debt or cash levels or, in other words, differing capital structures.
Different variations are related to the different vertical vector ﬁelds which generate different one-parameter families of solutions starting from the same solution.
The First Law of Isolated Horizons via Noether Theorem
Different observers will have different knowledge about a system and they may also describe a single system with different wave functions.
Physics with exotic probability theory
Although the quality factor can be somewhat different however for different values of n, this effect is small for refractive index not too much different, like between 1.02 and 1.1 in silica aerogels.
Experimental study of a proximity focusing Cherenkov counter prototype for the AMS experiment
Previous attempts [Gro88], [GM88] describe the revision of each theory K by a different structure without any glue relating the different structures: sphere systems or epistemic entrenchment relations, corresponding to different K ’s.
Distance Semantics for Belief Revision
The fact that different perturbative expansions describe different phases of the same theory is encoded in the so called duality – not very well-deﬁned and often only intuitively understood similarity of certain ob jects from the different phases of M-theory.
String Theory or Field Theory?