- v blackwash color with blackwash
- v blackwash bring (information) out of concealment
- n blackwash a wash that colors a surface black
- n blackwash a mixture of calomel and limewater that is used on syphilitic sores
- n blackwash an attack intended to ruin someone's reputation
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- Blackwash (Med) A lotion made by mixing calomel and lime water.
- Blackwash A wash that blackens, as opposed to whitewash; hence, figuratively, calumny. "To remove as far as he can the modern layers of black wash , and let the man himself, fair or foul, be seen."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n blackwash A lotion composed of calomel and lime-water.
- n blackwash Any wash that blackens.
- n blackwash In molding, a clay wash to which powdered charcoal has been added. See blacking, 3.