- n batfish bottom-dweller of warm western Atlantic coastal waters having a flattened scaleless body that crawls about on fleshy pectoral and pelvic fins
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- n Batfish (Zoöl) A name given to several species of fishes:
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n batfish A fish of the family Maltheidæ (which see). The best-known species is Malthe vespertilio. It has a heart-shaped trunk, produced anteriorly in a prolonged snout, a short coniform tail, a small inferior mouth, and a rostral tentacle under the snout. It inhabits the Atlantic along the southern coast of the United States.
- n batfish A name of the flying-fish or flying-robin, Cephalacanthus volitans.
- n batfish Monodactylus argenteus, of the family Scorpididæ, a silvery fish with the body deeper than long. The name alludes to the high fins.