acoustic radiation pressure

Definitions

  • WordNet 3.6
    • n acoustic radiation pressure (acoustics) the pressure exerted on a surface normal to the direction of propagation of a sound wave
    • ***

Usage


In science:

Just as electromagnetic waves carry momentum and exert pressure on matter, acoustic and MHD waves that propagate through an inhomogeneous medium also do work on the fluid via similar radiation stresses.
Coronal Heating versus Solar Wind Acceleration
The properties of radiation modified linear acoustic waves vary dramatically with optical depth and pressure ratio.
A Godunov Method for Multidimensional Radiation Magnetohydrodynamics based on a variable Eddington tensor
Fig. 6.— Phase velocity scaled to the isothermal sound speed (top panel) and damping rate (lower panel) of linear acoustic waves versus the optical depth per wavelength for two different radiation pressures.
A Godunov Method for Multidimensional Radiation Magnetohydrodynamics based on a variable Eddington tensor
Even though the properties of radiation modified linear acoustic waves vary dramatically over this range of optical depths and pressure ratios, there is good agreement between the numerical and analytic solutions, except when P = 1 and τa > 1.
A Godunov Method for Multidimensional Radiation Magnetohydrodynamics based on a variable Eddington tensor
Phase velocity scaled to the isothermal sound speed (top panel) and damping rate (lower panel) of linear acoustic waves versus the optical depth per wavelength for three different radiation pressures.
A Godunov Method for Multidimensional Radiation Magnetohydrodynamics based on a variable Eddington tensor
Upon entering the horizon, radiation pressure provides a restoring force against gravity, leading to acoustic oscillations in the tightly coupled fluid of phot ons and charged particles, which cease only when radiation pressure drops while radiation decouples.
Weak Gravitational Lensing
Pa = 1000 bar driving pressure will result in peak temperature Tmax ≈ 110,000,000K and an astonishing N ≈ 2.7 x 1011 fusion reactions (yet only ~0.9% of the bubble kinetic energy is spent on heating gas with the remaining 99.1% of it lost due to liquid compressibility on acoustic wave radiation).
Cavitation-Induced Fusion: Proof of Concept
***