- n acinus one of the small sacs or saclike dilations in a compound gland
- n acinus one of the small drupes making up an aggregate or multiple fruit like a blackberry
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- Acinus (Bot) A grapestone.
- Acinus (Anat) One of the granular masses which constitute a racemose or compound gland, as the pancreas; also, one of the saccular recesses in the lobules of a racemose gland.
- Acinus (Bot) One of the small grains or drupelets which make up some kinds of fruit, as the blackberry, raspberry, etc.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n acinus In botany: One of the small drupelets or berries of an aggregate baccate fruit, as the blackberry, etc., or the contained stone or seed. See cut under Rubus. A grape-stone.
- n acinus In anatomy: Formerly, the smallest lobule of a gland, Now, generally, the smallest saccular subdivision of an acinose gland, several of which subdivisions make up a lobule. Also called alveolus. A lobule of the liver.