- n thanksgiving a short prayer of thanks before a meal "their youngest son said grace"
- n Thanksgiving fourth Thursday in November in the United States; second Monday in October in Canada; commemorates a feast held in 1621 by the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Annually Americans eat 45 million turkeys at Thanksgiving
- Thanksgiving A public acknowledgment or celebration of divine goodness; also, a day set apart for religious services, specially to acknowledge the goodness of God, either in any remarkable deliverance from calamities or danger, or in the ordinary dispensation of his bounties.
- Thanksgiving The act of rending thanks, or expressing gratitude for favors or mercies. "Every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving .""In the thanksgiving before meat.""And taught by thee the Church prolongs
Her hymns of high thanksgiving still."
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
Pilgrims did not eat potatoes for Thanksgiving as they thought they were poisonous
- n thanksgiving The act of rendering thanks or of expressing gratitude for favors, benefits, or mercies; an acknowledgment of benefits received: used in the Old Testament for acknowledgment by the act of offering.
- n thanksgiving A public celebration of divine goodness; specifically [capitalized], in the United States, Thanksgiving day (see the phrase below).
- n thanksgiving A form of words expressive of thanks to God; a grace.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
The famous Christmas song "Jingle Bells" was written for a Thanksgiving program in 1857 by James Pierpont. At the time, the song was called "The One-Horse Open Sleigh."
- Thanksgiving act of giving thanks: a public acknowledgment of divine goodness and mercy: a day set apart for this, esp. that in the United States on the last Thursday of November: a form of giving thanks, a grace, that form preceding the last two prayers of morning or evening prayer or of the litany—the General Thanksgiving
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
A.S. thanc, thonc, will, thanks; cog. with Ger. dank; from the root of think.
The troops held services of thanksgiving in camp, and Congress named a day when all the people should thank God.
"George Washington" by Calista McCabe Courtenay
Why not smile as Pippa smiled and meet our blessings with thanksgiving?
"How to Add Ten Years to your Life and to Double Its Satisfactions" by S. S. Curry
People ran to the church and held thanksgiving services.
"The Best Short Stories of 1920" by Various
On Thanksgiving day of 1862 we reached my uncle's house in the neighborhood where we now live.
"Old Rail Fence Corners" by Various
Her heart was warbling a song of thanksgiving.
"Little Tora, The Swedish Schoolmistress and Other Stories" by Mrs. Woods Baker
Therefore when he and his father boarded the express Thanksgiving week the lad was in the highest spirits.
"Steve and the Steam Engine" by Sara Ware Bassett
They want you for Thanksgiving Day.
"A Daughter of the Middle Border" by Hamlin Garland
A THANKSGIVING TO GOD FOR HIS HOUSE.
"The Hesperides & Noble Numbers: Vol. 1 and 2" by Robert Herrick
Thy prayer and thanksgiving with sacrifice.
"The Works of Lord Byron" by Lord Byron
The Thanksgiving season always meant festivity of some sort.
"Marjorie's Busy Days" by Carolyn Wells
Then still bear in mind our Saviour so kind,
This season devote to his praise,
In gladness and joy, let us always employ,
And grateful thanksgivings, those days.
"Another Invitation, Or Exhortation To Worship Christ Jesus" by Rees Prichard
Prayer and thanksgiving is the vital breath
That keeps the spirit of a man from death;
For pray'r attracts into the living soul
The life, that fills the universal whole.
"Epigram V." by John Byrom
All praise and might, and majesty, and pow'r,
All honour and thanksgiving, ev'ry hour,
By night and day, unto the Godhead be, Who from my countless troubles set me free.
"A Thanksgiving, For Relief From One's Enemies" by Rees Prichard
If, since the last Thanksgiving-time,
Have we been blessed with strength and health,
And added to our honest wealth,
Nor lost by broken banks,
For this would we give thanks.
"Let Us Give Thanks" by Hattie Howard
Lord God, I turn on this Thanksgiving Day,
To view the path o'er which I've made my way,
Although a path of thorns my eye may greet,
Although I feel the sting still in my feet;
"Thanksgiving Prayer" by James Ephraim McGirt
Thus let us rest awhile from toil and care,
In the sweet sabbath of this autumn calm,
And lift our hearts to heaven in grateful prayer,
And sing with nature our thanksgiving psalm.
"Thanksgiving" by Kate Seymour Maclean
Watch football, escape to Europe, book Thanksgiving hotels, and travel smarter this week.
Here's a four-day Thanksgiving battle plan .
Thanksgiving paper will be full of great deals.
Thanksgiving airfares are likely to increase the closer it gets to the holiday.
Jersey City beauty salon celebrates 16 years of giving away Thanksgiving meals.
Bede the Venerable School holds a mass of thanksgiving at the church in Holland on Thursday night.
WOODLAND — Yolobus is preparing to bring thousands of Sacramento and Yolo County residents to and from the Sacramento International Airport during the Thanksgiving holiday week.
JACKSON, MI – Perhaps more than any other holiday, the meal is the star at Thanksgiving.
Saumil Pandey, of Palo Alto, shops with her children, Kanha, 1, and Kiah, 5, at Old Navy in San Jose on Thanksgiving Day on Nov 22, 2012.
Bea Gaddy Thanksgiving Dinner Served.
Known as "America's Thanksgiving Parade," it boasts of being one of the oldest and most celebrated - 3:48 pm.
Stephen Moore got up early Thanksgiving morning to make the doughnuts at Krispy Kreme.
The Biloxi High Band marched Thursday in the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Parade in Philadelphia, Pa.
Jim Harbaugh and John Harbaugh set for Thanksgiving brotherly love .
While for many people, Thanksgiving is a family affair , Carrie Underwood's Thanksgiving celebration will be a friend affair this year.