- n peter obscene terms for penis
- n Peter disciple of Jesus and leader of the Apostles; regarded by Catholics as the vicar of Christ on earth and first Pope
Additional illustrations & photos:
Peter, Peter, pumpkin-eater
"'ARE ALL YOUR FOOTMEN CALLED PETER?' I ASKED."
Peter in the forest
Peter is pursued by three men
ST. PETER'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, 1860
PETER AND THE TRIBUTE-MONEY
PETER'S WIFE'S MOTHER
Peter was sitting up in bed
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
In 1810, Peter Durand invented the tin can for preserving food
- n Peter A common baptismal name for a man. The name of one of the apostles,
- v. i Peter To become exhausted; to run out; to fail; -- used generally with out; as, that mine has petered out.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
The watch was invented by Peter Henlein of Nuremberg in 1510.
- n peter A kind of wine otherwise called peter-sec-me and peter-sameene.
- n peter A kind of cosmetic.
- n peter See blue-peter
- n peter In whist, a conventional signal indicating a call for trumps. See peter, verb
- n peter The common American coot, Fulica americana: so called with reference to its color, with an allusion to blue-peter.
- peter In whist, to call for trumps by throwing away a higher card of a suit while holding a smaller.
- peter To diminish gradually and then cease; fail; be-come exhausted; in mining, to split up into branches and become lost: said of a vein which runs out or disappears, so that it can no longer be followed by the miner: with out.
- n peter In thieves' cant, a traveling-bag, portmanteau, trunk, or any piece of baggage or a parcel.
Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary
Milk chocolate was invented in Switzerland by David Peter in 1876
- v.i Peter pē′tėr in mining, to become exhausted (with out):
- v.i Peter pē′tėr to call for trumps at whist, by throwing away a higher card of a suit while holding a smaller
- n Peter this signal for trumps
- v.i Peter pē′tėr (fig.) to lose power or value.
Before the building of the bank, John Peter, a nephew of Robert Peter, had a house on that corner.
"A Portrait of Old George Town" by Grace Dunlop Ecker
He did not even glance towards Peter, but Peter understood very well what had happened.
"The Double Four" by E. Phillips Oppenheim
And please, if Peter Fiddle ain't home yet and has gone off and got drunk, won't you please send young Peter with Daddy.
"The End of the Rainbow" by Marian Keith
She was very anxious to convert Peter and myself, more especially Peter.
"Christopher Hibbault, Roadmaker" by Marguerite Bryant
In Peter's house there was no one to laugh at her but Peter, and when Peter laughed she considered it a triumph.
"Turn About Eleanor" by Ethel M. Kelley
This is what Peter calls offering sacrifices acceptable to God by Christ.
"Epistle Sermons, Vol. II" by Martin Luther
Then I heard Peter's voice, thin and faint and far away, but most unmistakably Peter's voice.
"The Prairie Child" by Arthur Stringer
Peter Moore's at the key, and the faster you shoot them the better Peter likes them.
"Peter the Brazen" by George F. Worts
Peter and Mark (p. 193).
"Byzantine Churches in Constantinople" by Alexander Van Millingen
It seemed that Peter (I would not call him Peter to his face) had bought it for Molly.
"The Lightning Conductor Discovers America" by C. N. (Charles Norris) Williamson and A. M. (Alice Muriel) Williamson
Then forth he rode by Peter’s gate,
And smiled and said aloud:
“No more a day doth the Prior wait,
White stands the tower and proud.”
"The Hall And The Wood" by William Morris
“If the way had been shorter and greener
And brighter, he might have been brave;
But the goal was too far and he fainted,
Like Peter with Christ on the wave!”
"For Ever" by Henry Kendall
Peter, thro' fear, his suff'ring Lord deny'd,
Th' Apostles either fled, or turn'd aside,
And timid Mary nothing did but weep:
Whilst Jesus only di'd to save the sheep.
"Christ Is All In All" by Rees Prichard
It is a mystery: but He seems to sleep
As erst he slept in Peter's waved-rocked bark;
A storm is sweeping all across the deep,
While Pius prays, like Peter, in the dark.
""Peace! Be Still"" by Abram Joseph Ryan
Rise, Peter, rise; He standeth on the shore,
The thrice-denied of Pilate's Judgement Hall:
His hand is o'er the shingle lest thou fall;
He wipes thy bitter tears for evermore.
"Christ, For Whose Only Love I Keep" by Digby Mackworth Dolben
Thrice this same Peter his Lord had denied,
And had he not reason reproaches to fear?
Oh, no! for his Saviour had all this forgiven,
He saw his repentance, he knew it sincere.
"Feed My Lambs" by Mary Ann H T Bigelow
Reviewed by Peter Lewis for The Barnes & Noble Review.
Vanessa Hudgens, Alex Pettyfer, Mary-Kate Olsen, Peter Krause, LisaGay Hamilton.
Coffin will be placed in St Peter's Basilica for viewing.
Becket Directed by Peter Glenville Slowhand Cinema January 26 through February 1, Film Forum.
Peter Plunkett of Austin may open a bed and breakfast in his Frank Lloyd Wright designed home in Austin.
Peter Frampton and Diane Warren are among those offering support online.
Peter Macdiarmid / Getty Images.
Peter Konjoian is co-owner of Konjoian's Greenhouses in Andover, Mass.
Designers like Martin Greenfield and Peter Frew charge thousands of dollars for a single custom-made suit.
50-year-old Kenneth Peters of Bessemer waived his right to an arraignment in Gogebic County Circuit Court yesterday.
McKenzie, edited by Peter D McDonald and Michael F Suarez S.J.
Peter Welch has been Vermont's lone Congressman for the past six years.
Towson quarterback Peter Athens, center, fumbles the ball as Maryland players, left more.
White King, Red Rubber, Black Death Written and directed by Peter Bate ArtMattan, opens October 21, Quad.
Owens and Peter Delevett Mercury News.
As Peter Walley [private communication, ] points out, this example is somewhat misleading.
Conditional Plausibility Measures and Bayesian Networks
We thank Peter Schlagheck, Martin Sieber, and Marko Turek for helpful conversations.
Supporting random wave models: a quantum mechanical approach
The cellularity follows immediately from the reﬁned Peter-Weyl theorem of Lusztig (see Theorem 2.4).
Presenting generalized q-Schur algebras
Peters and Van de Ven, Compact complex surfaces, Ergebnisse der Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete (3) Vol.4, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1984. [BR] D. J.
The Alternating Group of degree 6 in Geometry of the Leech Lattice and K3 Surfaces
We acknowledge useful discussions on this problem with Peter Scheuer and David Syer.
Kinetic theory viscosity